GC process - change in employer?

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:34 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3
nina80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GC process - change in employer?

Hi - my husband's company has initiated the GC process, so it's in the employer's hands.

Have any of you had experiences with seeking new employment during this process? Is it legal for another company to 'take over' (I think it's called GC portability) the GC process and if so, how does it work? Or will he have to change his visa status during this time in order to work for a new employer?

Thank you in advance.
nina80 is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:01 pm
  #2  
BE Commentator
 
S Folinsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 7,334
S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Originally Posted by nina80 View Post
Hi - my husband's company has initiated the GC process, so it's in the employer's hands.

Have any of you had experiences with seeking new employment during this process? Is it legal for another company to 'take over' (I think it's called GC portability) the GC process and if so, how does it work? Or will he have to change his visa status during this time in order to work for a new employer?

Thank you in advance.
I would recommend quite strongly a legal consultation with an attorney other than the one now doing the work.

As a general rule -- portability kicks in once the ADJUSTMENT [e.g. the I-485] application has been pending more than 180 days.

A second feature related to portability but NOT the same -- once an employment based VISA PETITION [e.g. the I-140] has been approved, the alien retains the priority date for any other employment based petition which may be filed.

Again, legal consultation is recommended.
S Folinsky is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:21 pm
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
I would recommend quite strongly a legal consultation with an attorney other than the one now doing the work.

As a general rule -- portability kicks in once the ADJUSTMENT [e.g. the I-485] application has been pending more than 180 days.

A second feature related to portability but NOT the same -- once an employment based VISA PETITION [e.g. the I-140] has been approved, the alien retains the priority date for any other employment based petition which may be filed.

Again, legal consultation is recommended.
Just out of curiosity what happens to those people on h1/l1 etc (indians/chinese) who are backlogged when the employer sponsors the GC can they continue extending the h1/l1 indefinitely?
notshipman is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:39 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 102
BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

yep, once the I140 is approved they can keep extending H1B
BostonBrit Expat Since 03 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:17 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 56
maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

If a person exhaust 6 years of H1, but PERM is approved, then 1 year extension can be granted for H1B, if 140 is also approved then unlimited 3 years extensions are given for H1b till PD becomes current and applicant is able to file for AOS.

Originally Posted by notshipman View Post
Just out of curiosity what happens to those people on h1/l1 etc (indians/chinese) who are backlogged when the employer sponsors the GC can they continue extending the h1/l1 indefinitely?
maulajatt is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:16 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Originally Posted by notshipman View Post
Just out of curiosity what happens to those people on h1/l1 etc (indians/chinese) who are backlogged when the employer sponsors the GC can they continue extending the h1/l1 indefinitely?
The backlog is not limited to China and India. All EB-3 is backlogged, though admittedly it has improved considerably in the past year.

As long as an I-140 is approved the H-1B can be extended by up to 3 years beyond the 6th year.

If the PERM or I-140 is pending and the PERM (or I-140 for cases that do not need a PERM) was submitted one year before the 6th "anniversary" of the H1B then the H-1B can be extended for one year.

I do not know of any extension provisions for L-1s.
jxv73 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:22 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Also are you stuck to the same employer until the GC comes through or is there some provisions to change employer while waiting (after the I-140 is approved perhaps)?
notshipman is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:01 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 56
maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

You can change employer, but your new employer have to start the process all over, once new employer file for I-140, you can request USCIS to port your old Priority Date.

Originally Posted by notshipman View Post
Also are you stuck to the same employer until the GC comes through or is there some provisions to change employer while waiting (after the I-140 is approved perhaps)?
maulajatt is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:03 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 265
notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Is the I-140 tied to an employer then so even if you change employer after it is approved you have to get a new I-140 approved but with the same priority date?
notshipman is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:03 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 56
maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GC process - change in employer?

Yes, so when your new employer files new I140, at the time of approval (or application .. not sure), your attorney can request the USCIS to port the old Priority date and link it to new I-140.

Originally Posted by notshipman View Post
Is the I-140 tied to an employer then so even if you change employer after it is approved you have to get a new I-140 approved but with the same priority date?
maulajatt is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.