Any ideas/suggestions?

Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:32 am
Just Joined

jnhaffey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ideas/suggestions?

I am an American who is marring a Britain. We have figured everything out we need to do so she can move here but have run into a small issue. Actually it’s a pretty big issue but trying to come up with a solution. She has kids with an ex who is refusing to agree to let them move to the US unless he is allowed to come too. I have done all the research I can and I think he may be able to apply for a visa after she and the kids have moved here. I am not sure if there is any precedence for this. Does anyone know?

If he refuses we know we can go for a Leave to Remove order and have a pretty good chance of being granted it. Of course, this will end up costing us £25,000 which we would really prefer to avoid.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ideas/suggestions?

A parent cannot be sponsored by their child until the child turns 21. There is no other visa based on a familial relationship for this person.

Time to spend the 25k I'm afraid.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jnhaffey
I am an American who is marring a Britain. We have figured everything out we need to do so she can move here but have run into a small issue. Actually it’s a pretty big issue but trying to come up with a solution. She has kids with an ex who is refusing to agree to let them move to the US unless he is allowed to come too. I have done all the research I can and I think he may be able to apply for a visa after she and the kids have moved here. I am not sure if there is any precedence for this. Does anyone know?

If he refuses we know we can go for a Leave to Remove order and have a pretty good chance of being granted it. Of course, this will end up costing us £25,000 which we would really prefer to avoid.
Her ex-husband can't move to the USA based on any family relationship to her, no. If he qualifies for some kind of visa in his own right (marriage to a USC, employment, or investment), then yes.

Or if one of the kids becomes a US citizen, they can petition for their father to immigrate after they turn 21 years old.

You say you've done all the research and you think he might be able to apply for a visa after she and the kids move here...which visa were you thinking of?

If he's refusing, my guess is that it will have to go through a court order, no matter how much it costs.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:11 am
Just Joined

jnhaffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Her ex-husband can't move to the USA based on any family relationship to her, no. If he qualifies for some kind of visa in his own right (marriage to a USC, employment, or investment), then yes.

Or if one of the kids becomes a US citizen, they can petition for their father to immigrate after they turn 21 years old.

You say you've done all the research and you think he might be able to apply for a visa after she and the kids move here...which visa were you thinking of?

If he's refusing, my guess is that it will have to go through a court order, no matter how much it costs.

Rene
First not an ex-husband, just an ex-jerk (HE HE HE).

After digging through tons of immigration information I thought maybe he could apply for a visa based on family. The kids will not be 21 for many years so I knew they could not sponsor him. My fiancee and I are more than willing to sponsor him but I do not think we legally can. Sadly the more I research the more I think we may not have a choice but to do the LTR. It does seem kind of funny that they would put in laws to prevent parents from taking kids from one country to another, then allow a way around it (the LTR) yet there is nothing in place to allow the left behind parent a way to also join the kids. Typical politics.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps because the US does not wish to allow the fathers of children who now have no relationship to the mother to become 'hangers-on' as far as visas are concerned. If all parents in this manner were allowed visas that would potentially add thousands of immigrants per year.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee and I are more than willing to sponsor him but I do not think we legally can.
Correct. There is no path for you or your fiancée to sponsor an ex-boyfriend/lover/jerk. LOL

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She has kids with an ex who is refusing to agree to let them move to the US unless he is allowed to come too.
There are four choices here: 1) she gets an LTR order from the court; 2) she leaves the children in the UK; 3) she remains in the UK and doesn't marry you; or 4) you move to the UK and live there. As others have noted, unless he qualifies for a visa on his own, there is no way the ex will be coming to the US.

If he refuses we know we can go for a Leave to Remove order and have a pretty good chance of being granted it.
If the father is involved in the children's lives, it may be very difficult to get an LTR order. Even if he's not, he can assert his rights at any time.

Ian