Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

"full time student" visa - small print needed

"full time student" visa - small print needed

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:29 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Default "full time student" visa - small print needed

Hi...

I'm curious to know the small print about the student visa(s).

For example, I understand that I must study full time - but how many hours of study per week/month/semester constitutes full time.

A link to an informative web-page much appreciated.

TIA,

M.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "full time student" visa - small print needed

As long as you are enrolled full time, I don't think anybody cares how much time you actually spend studying.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Hi...

For example, I understand that I must study full time - but how many hours of study per week/month/semester constitutes full time.

TIA,

M.
You need to look at what your university considers full time status. University A may say that 12 credit hours is a full time while University B may say 15 credit hours. How many hours you spend studying outside of class doesn't matter at all, it's all down to credit hours.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since it depends on the university, why not tell us what university you want to go to, we'll figure out how many hours constitutes "full-time" study, and then we'll get back to you. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

How about this... since you already know which university you're interested in, you go to the university's web site, figure out how many academic hours constitutes "full-time" study, and relieve us of the responsibility of doing your research for you.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since it depends on the university, why not tell us what university you want to go to, we'll figure out how many hours constitutes "full-time" study, and then we'll get back to you. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

How about this... since you already know which university you're interested in, you go to the university's web site, figure out how many academic hours constitutes "full-time" study, and relieve us of the responsibility of doing your research for you.

Ian

Ian,

If I need unhelpful, patronizing, sarcasm, you'll be my go-to guy.

Marocco & sunflwrgrl13,

Thanks for your input and advice...

...now that I know that different colleges each have there own idea about how many 'credit hours' constitutes full time education, and from a study visa application point of view this is the norm, I'm now in a much better position to consider my study options.

Thanks again,

M.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Loser (and you really should pick a better screennam!) usually the number of credit hours a class is corresponds to the number of hours you will be spending in the classroom each week. So a 3credit hour class will likely meet for about 3hrs a week. There are exceptions to the rule of course.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi...

TIA,

M.
You mean like this one? http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

Your problem is that you are using the Canada terms and you confused posters with 'study'.

You should find what you need on that web page and for future reference "student visa" is the US term.

Please don't bite back at the people who answered the question you asked vs the one you wanted answered.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:26 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
...usually the number of credit hours a class is corresponds to the number of hours you will be spending in the classroom each week. So a 3credit hour class will likely meet for about 3hrs a week. There are exceptions to the rule of course.
To compliment,
Here's the most common exception to that rule: Generally courses with additional Lab credit hours (3+1 lab "credit" hours for total of 4 credit hours) require 6 hours of class per week. This is mostly applicable to science courses, such a Biology, Physics, Chemistry, etc. For whatever reason the Lab only gets you 1 credit even though you sometimes must be present the full 6 hours per week on these courses.