Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

Originally Posted by iornse
I think entering in East Berlin was much more swiftly.
It was getting out of East Berlin that was the challenge, and many risked their lives to do do!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

Originally Posted by iornse
I think entering in East Berlin was much more swiftly...
It's not just the US that denies entry to young people when the POE officer thinks they may overstay. We've had a couple of Americans on Be that were denied entry into the UK and this is not the forum for Americans trying to go to Europe. One was an American girl that met a guy online and was going to the UK to meet her online boyfriend for the firs time and was denied entry.

I suspect other European countries give greater scrutiny to young people from non EU countries although I suspect that most European countries have tougher sanctions than the US against employers hiring undocumented workers. The US only requires that an employer makes a reasonable effort to assure that documents are in order and if they flagrantly violate that, the maximum punishment is $2,000 per employee and each individual has to be proven separately.

As an example, American Apparel had 1,500 undocumented workers working for them in LA and the justice apartment did not fine them (it would cost more for lawyers than they could possibly collect) and American Apparel only agreed to terminate those employees and perform more due diligence when hiring new workers.

That is why there are approximately 12 million illegal aliens are in the US since the employers are seldom fined or punished and when they are, the fine is very low and usually undocumented aliens are seldom seeked out (except criminals) once in the country. In fact many US cities are sanctuary cities which forbids reporting illegal aliens. That is also why many small businesses aren't very concerned about hiring undocumented aliens since the penalty is low and it is unlikely that a small business would be targeted.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 12th 2013 at 8:00 pm.