Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

first eid in america/help (ideas)?

first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Oh, and another fun thing for Sadia - I don't know if you or Jani have ever had Turkish coffee, but it's fun to make and drink. Again, you need special coffee (and they make special little pots to make it in, but probably any small saucepan would work). The coffee is VERY strong - and served in tiny cups. If you like it sweet, it's 1 teaspoon of coffee, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and the one small cup of water *per cup*. Believe me, one small cup like that will keep you bouncing around for hours. Give it to Jani before he works Overtime at work. LOL

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:51 am
Just Joined

saddiah is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh, and another fun thing for Sadia - I don't know if you or Jani have ever had Turkish coffee, but it's fun to make and drink. Again, you need special coffee (and they make special little pots to make it in, but probably any small saucepan would work). The coffee is VERY strong - and served in tiny cups. If you like it sweet, it's 1 teaspoon of coffee, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and the one small cup of water *per cup*. Believe me, one small cup like that will keep you bouncing around for hours. Give it to Jani before he works Overtime at work. LOL

Rene
hehe I think we both needed turkish coffee lastnight from overtime and the kids! Jani is really into the coffee's and teas so he will try anything ,I am not so great at the cofee making so he does this part of the cooking.
just where can we find these little pots and things. my tea kettle really sucks I dont even know where the lid for it is.
does anyone know how to make a faluda? it's like an ice cream desert,, I think I spelled this wrong?
it's mainly in pakistan I think,,wait I think I saw a special on this dish in Iran to. anyways I love to get all these cooking tips! I am tired of spegetti and casseroles.
thanks rene ! Sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saddiah
does anyone know how to make a faluda? it's like an ice cream desert,, I think I spelled this wrong?
it's mainly in pakistan I think,,wait I think I saw a special on this dish in Iran to. anyways I love to get all these cooking tips! I am tired of spegetti and casseroles.
thanks rene ! Sadia
If you mean faloodeh, then yes, that's the Persian frozen ice dessert. It's sooooo yummy! It's crushed ice (like a sno-cone), with (this part sounds weird) tiny frozen rice noodles mixed in it. Put lots of lemon juice on it, and you have a totally refreshing yummy ice dessert!

Now, if you combine that with a scoop of Persian ice cream...you're in heaven. Persian ice cream is like very rich vanilla ice cream, with chunks of frozen cream in it, flavored with saffron and rosewater. It's a little perfumey, but it is oh-so-good!!

I've never attempted to make faloodeh - but you can buy it ready-made in Los Angeles. The Persian ice cream can be re-created by buying the richest French Vanilla ice cream you can find, and mixing in a bit of rosewater. It's missing the chunks of frozen cream, but ... it's a close second to the real thing.

***Mouth is officially watering now***
Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:18 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

In Farsi it's pronounced "aid". This particular eid in Farsi is called "eid-e ghorban" and in Turkish it's called "bayram". It's the holiday where livestock is sacrificed and the meat is given to the poor.

We don't have any special plans, but hey saddia, you know me....the recipie queen. LOL I can give you some good food ideas.

Rene
Is that the holiday when they slaughter the lamb??
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Is that the holiday when they slaughter the lamb??
Yes, it is. Lamb, sheep, cows, goats...whatever meat they eat. It's all done for the sake of the richer folks giving to the poorer folks. People who can afford it, buy the animal, and it is killed in a religious manner with prayers said. Then the meat is divided up, with a good portion (or all of it, maybe..I'm not sure) going to poorer folks who could not afford to buy an animal to slaughter.

Three out of the four times I was in Turkey, it was that holiday, and I watched livestock being sold, traded, corralled, and put in trucks. I looked through someone's backyard fence the next day, and saw about 10 older men dividing up chunks of meat, wrapping it in paper to give away. I took a picture of that Very interesting experience.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:20 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is. Lamb, sheep, cows, goats...whatever meat they eat. It's all done for the sake of the richer folks giving to the poorer folks. People who can afford it, buy the animal, and it is killed in a religious manner with prayers said. Then the meat is divided up, with a good portion (or all of it, maybe..I'm not sure) going to poorer folks who could not afford to buy an animal to slaughter.

Three out of the four times I was in Turkey, it was that holiday, and I watched livestock being sold, traded, corralled, and put in trucks. I looked through someone's backyard fence the next day, and saw about 10 older men dividing up chunks of meat, wrapping it in paper to give away. I took a picture of that Very interesting experience.

Rene
Poor cowies!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:23 am
Just Joined

saddiah is on a distinguished road

Rene
yes thats right it's giving meat to poor people and in my husbands family like many others they buy the goat or cow and have it in there yard for atleast a week and they decorate this animal with flowers around there necks and feet and jewelry,they get attatched to the animal and care for it petting it and talking to the animal
feeding it and then when they have to slauter it ,it is a very painful thing as my husband sais everyone is so sad and this is difficult but they sacrifice it and give to all the poor and needy. I am glad I was not there during this time ,,from nieghbor to neighbor all you hear I am told is the sounds of cows and goats and when it is time for them to be sacrificed it's pretty gorish I am sure on the streets and sidewalks but that is what it is,that is the way of how it goes but I also find it interesting rene.

sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:27 am

yes thats right it's giving meat to poor people and in my husbands family like many others they buy the goat or cow and have it in there yard for atleast a week and they decorate this animal with flowers around there necks and feet and jewelry,they get attatched to the animal and care for it petting it and talking to the animal
feeding it and then when they have to slauter it ,it is a very painful thing as my husband sais everyone is so sad and this is difficult but they sacrifice it and give to all the poor and needy. I am glad I was not there during this time ,,from nieghbor to neighbor all you hear I am told is the sounds of cows and goats and when it is time for them to be sacrificed it's pretty gorish I am sure on the streets and sidewalks but that is what it is,that is the way of how it goes but I also find it interesting rene.

sadia
Awww? I am not reading anymore, You guys are making me cry, sorry!! I don't mean to be rude.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

hehe I think we both needed turkish coffee lastnight from overtime and the kids! Jani is really into the coffee's and teas so he will try anything ,I am not so great at the cofee making so he does this part of the cooking.
just where can we find these little pots and things. my tea kettle really sucks I dont even know where the lid for it is.
thanks rene ! Sadia
www.desicookbook.com
The best pakistani recipies you will ever find online... at my house its traditional qorma, biryani, sawwiyaan stuff on Eid.... so not sure if you r planning for something quick and easy :-)
Falooda the way i make is, take 2-3 scoops vanilla ice-cream, top it with Rooh afza and Tukh-malnga(black seeds soaked in water for 5 minutes) you can find both at any indian pakistani grocery store, and couple of chineses thick rice noodles boiled. I simply love it
Actually, first time my fiance and his family took me to dinner in lahore, after dinner they wre planning for desert and all of sudden i said, I want falooda ( still cant believe how i said it ) but they loved it, still tease me about it that how much of falooda can you eat!

Eid Mubarak!

Sanna
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:21 pm
marjorie-johnson

If properly slaughtered, there should be minimal noise coming from the
animal. In any event, I was taught that the slaughter is done to
remember when Allah asked Ibrahim to sacrifice his son to prove his
faith. Then right before Ibrahim was about to do so, Allah stopped him
and told him he had proven his faith. As a result Allah asked Ibrahim
to slaughter a sheep instead.
But to answer Sadia's question, I would suggest making any dish with
lamb. That is a good Eid meal.

Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:30 pm

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone just out of curiousity I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me for my husbands first eid away from his family and on a work day at that. I was thinking of making him a special dinner for when he gets home but I don't know what to make and I wish I knew how to cook pakistani or Indian because then today when I go grocery shopping I could just pick some of the ingredients up,,does anyone have ANY ideas? he seems to like mexican also but I only know how to make the basic tacos from the boring taco kits like elpaso or something . I need some cool thoughts to make this a happy eid for him so far and homesick for family.
thanks guys I'll be waiting..

Sadia
Hello Sadia,

Eid Mubarak to you and your husband!

I guess the easiest would be to cook some Pakistani desert, eat out and celebrate. These are very easy to cook. If you know any Pakistani grocery store/retaurant in your area, get what is called "Kheer Mix". You can cook it in 20 minutes with milk, doesn't require any special cooking skills.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:46 pm
Anniep

Sadia, you might find this site useful.
http://asiarecipe.com/pakdesserts.html

have fun :)
annie