Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Wikiposts

first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:20 am
Just Joined

saddiah is on a distinguished road
Default first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Hi everyone just out of curiousity I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me for my husbands first eid away from his family and on a work day at that. I was thinking of making him a special dinner for when he gets home but I don't know what to make and I wish I knew how to cook pakistani or Indian because then today when I go grocery shopping I could just pick some of the ingredients up,,does anyone have ANY ideas? he seems to like mexican also but I only know how to make the basic tacos from the boring taco kits like elpaso or something . I need some cool thoughts to make this a happy eid for him so far and homesick for family.
thanks guys I'll be waiting..

Sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Sure people will come up with great ideas for you.

However, please take this kindly and please continue posting but when your are posting something here that is not regarding immigration, please perface the subject line with the capital letters OT (off topic) and then you subject, i.e. OT: First EID in America/Help (ideas)?

BTW was is an EID?

Originally Posted by saddiah
Hi everyone just out of curiousity I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me for my husbands first eid away from his family and on a work day at that. I was thinking of making him a special dinner for when he gets home but I don't know what to make and I wish I knew how to cook pakistani or Indian because then today when I go grocery shopping I could just pick some of the ingredients up,,does anyone have ANY ideas? he seems to like mexican also but I only know how to make the basic tacos from the boring taco kits like elpaso or something . I need some cool thoughts to make this a happy eid for him so far and homesick for family.

Sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

sdmansour will become famous soon enoughsdmansour will become famous soon enough

Sadia
hi saddiah,

my husband is from eygpt and i try do as much egyptian cooking as i can. there are websites out there that have recipes for just about anything you could dream of.

in egypt, for this eid, they usually eat lots of meat, mostly lamb. and they also eat a special rice dish that includes a type of pita bread and a garlic mixture with vinegar. the link below, is a guys personal website that has many good egyptian dishes that i have prepared with his recipes. i know this isnt pakistani food but it is much closer than american food

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/

you can also try doing a google search at www.google.com

hope you have an enjoyable holiday!

debbie
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Originally Posted by Rete

However, please take this kindly and please continue posting but when your are posting something here that is not regarding immigration, please perface the subject line with the capital letters OT (off topic) and then you subject, i.e. OT: First EID in America/Help (ideas)?

BTW was is an EID?
oopsy I didn't think of it being off topic,I am lucky to even post things right but excuse my manners there on that

Eid is like christmas,but I know I am not explaining it properly.
if any one of Islamic faith wana jump in and explain this I won't mind it at all ha,,but this is the first eid here for my husband so I am looking for any imaginative ideas you can think of for cooking or otherwise.
thanks ,,get me ready for the kitchen please?

Sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

sdmansour will become famous soon enoughsdmansour will become famous soon enough

BTW was is an EID?

eid (pronounced eed) = holiday
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sdmansour
hi saddiah,

my husband is from eygpt and i try do as much egyptian cooking as i can. there are websites out there that have recipes for just about anything you could dream of.

in egypt, for this eid, they usually eat lots of meat, mostly lamb. and they also eat a special rice dish that includes a type of pita bread and a garlic mixture with vinegar. the link below, is a guys personal website that has many good egyptian dishes that i have prepared with his recipes. i know this isnt pakistani food but it is much closer than american food

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/

you can also try doing a google search at www.google.com

hope you have an enjoyable holiday!

debbie
thanks debbie,I'll check it out! what are your plans for eid?
Happy eid ! Allah Hafiz
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

eid (pronounced eed) = holiday
In Farsi it's pronounced "aid". This particular eid in Farsi is called "eid-e ghorban" and in Turkish it's called "bayram". It's the holiday where livestock is sacrificed and the meat is given to the poor.

We don't have any special plans, but hey saddia, you know me....the recipie queen. LOL I can give you some good food ideas.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:57 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

BTW was is an EID?
I am new to the Islamic holiday thing, but as i understand it, “Eid� is an Arabic word referring to something habitual, that returns and is repeated. I think there are (4) EIDs each year (2 major and 2 minor ones) and this one is EID al Adha. Here is an explanation from the web:

"Eid al-Adha or Feast of Sacrifice is the most important feast of the Muslim calendar. It concludes the Pilgrimmage to Mecca. Eid al-Adha lasts for three days and commemorates Ibraham's (Abraham) willingness to obey God by sacrificing his son. Muslims believe the son to be Ishmael rather than Isaac as told in the Old Testament. Ishmael is considered the forefather of the Arabs. According to the Koran, Ibrahim was about to sacrifice his son when a voice from heaven stopped him and allowed him to sacrifice a ram instead.

The feast re-enacts Ibrahim's obedience by sacrificing a cow or ram. The family eats about a third of the meal and donates the rest to the poor. "

I told Asghar that if he brings home a goat for EID that it will become a pet, not dinner! ha ha! I think we will opt for Indian Restaurant take-out instead.

Sadia~ Thanks for the reminder! There are several indian cuisine websites if you do some searches, but i'm not that brave yet! Also i found an indian food store that has some of the typical spices etc.

Here is one easy recipe that at our house we refer to as 'the EID dish' (It is sweet like for dessert or i think they use it more often during the fasting month at breakfast). Asghar made it one night and this is what i remember that he did:

This takes about 4 hours (estimate). Heat 1/2 gallon of milk for several hours at a low heat, stirring fairly often. The milk makes a skin on top and that is what you want - just stir that skin into the liquid part. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and a package of dates (like you find in the baking section near the raisins). I recommend cutting the dates in half long-ways. I think Asghar added them after about 2 hours and then cooked it for another 2 hours or so. Ideally, add some Cardimom (whole) when you add the dates, but it tasted good without it also. (I later found cardimom spice at the indian food store.) The milk will get fairly thick. Serve it cold.

Marnee

Last edited by USA & Pakistan; Jan 20th 2005 at 7:00 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

thanks debbie,I'll check it out! what are your plans for eid?
Happy eid ! Allah Hafiz
we are going to go to an egyptian deli and eat falafel and then we will have a complete dinner at home. this is my husbands second eid here in the states. hope you have a nice dinner for your husband

debbie
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:05 am
Just Joined

we are going to go to an egyptian deli and eat falafel and then we will have a complete dinner at home. this is my husbands second eid here in the states. hope you have a nice dinner for your husband

debbie
great ideas girls and thanks for explaining eid and please include recipies,,I need some really fun ideas. thanks alot I really think this is a fun experience here.

sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's a quick, yummy, easy one that I make a lot....

Brown some chicken tender chunks. Add one large onion, 1 green pepper, 1 yellow or red pepper (or both), and maybe 1 zuccini - all cut up in big chunks. Sautee until a bit tender. Add 1 16-oz can of tomato sauce, salt, pepper, lemon juice, about a tabelspoon of cumin spice, and about 1/4 tsp of turmeric. Simmer until the chicken is done. Serve over white rice.

Hint...if you don't have time to cook the chicken from scratch, you can use one of the ready-made broiled chickens at the deli counter of a major supermarket. Take the skin off, cut it up, and it works in a pinch.

Enjoy!
Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
I am new to the Islamic holiday thing, but as i understand it, “Eid� is an Arabic word referring to something habitual, that returns and is repeated. I think there are (4) EIDs each year (2 major and 2 minor ones) and this one is EID al Adha. Here is an explanation from the web:

"Eid al-Adha or Feast of Sacrifice is the most important feast of the Muslim calendar. It concludes the Pilgrimmage to Mecca. Eid al-Adha lasts for three days and commemorates Ibraham's (Abraham) willingness to obey God by sacrificing his son. Muslims believe the son to be Ishmael rather than Isaac as told in the Old Testament. Ishmael is considered the forefather of the Arabs. According to the Koran, Ibrahim was about to sacrifice his son when a voice from heaven stopped him and allowed him to sacrifice a ram instead.

The feast re-enacts Ibrahim's obedience by sacrificing a cow or ram. The family eats about a third of the meal and donates the rest to the poor. "

I told Asghar that if he brings home a goat for EID that it will become a pet, not dinner! ha ha! I think we will opt for Indian Restaurant take-out instead.

Sadia~ Thanks for the reminder! There are several indian cuisine websites if you do some searches, but i'm not that brave yet! Also i found an indian food store that has some of the typical spices etc.

Here is one easy recipe that at our house we refer to as 'the EID dish' (It is sweet like for dessert or i think they use it more often during the fasting month at breakfast). Asghar made it one night and this is what i remember that he did:

This takes about 4 hours (estimate). Heat 1/2 gallon of milk for several hours at a low heat, stirring fairly often. The milk makes a skin on top and that is what you want - just stir that skin into the liquid part. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and a package of dates (like you find in the baking section near the raisins). I recommend cutting the dates in half long-ways. I think Asghar added them after about 2 hours and then cooked it for another 2 hours or so. Ideally, add some Cardimom (whole) when you add the dates, but it tasted good without it also. (I later found cardimom spice at the indian food store.) The milk will get fairly thick. Serve it cold.

Marnee
ok I wana try this what is cardimom? I am no queen at cooking believe me.
thanks alot and hope ashgar and jani can talk soon
sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:15 am

ok I wana try this what is cardimom? I am no queen at cooking believe me.
thanks alot and hope ashgar and jani can talk soon
sadia
Another good use for the seed form of cardimum is to throw about 3 seeds of it in with 2 bags of earl grey tea in the teapot and let it brew. It makes it very aromatic and becomes pretty close to Persian tea.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: first eid in america/help (ideas)?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Another good use for the seed form of cardimum is to throw about 3 seeds of it in with 2 bags of earl grey tea in the teapot and let it brew. It makes it very aromatic and becomes pretty close to Persian tea.

Rene
rene I think jani will go crazy for this ,,he's a big tea drinker,he will be thrilled to be trying tea like sadegh drinks

what a help this has all been! I got my chicken idea from rene my desert from marnee and asghar and I like all the ideas from sdsourman indian restaurant is a plan when we get a chance for sure.
if anyone else has ideas keep them coming not just for eid but for any day I love recipies
thanks guys...
sadia
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:50 am

rene I think jani will go crazy for this ,,he's a big tea drinker,he will be thrilled to be trying tea like sadegh drinks
sadia
Sadia,

Sadegh actually drinks tea brewed from tea leaves, but it's only available in a Middle Eastern market. Tell Jani if he wants to join Sadegh and me in drinking REAL Persian tea, you guys have to come for a visit.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.