Filing I-130 & AOS

Old Dec 22nd 2013, 12:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing I-130 & AOS

Originally Posted by jmood
Are consular processing times listed somewhere?
The I-130 processing times are listed at www.uscis.gov, but must be taken with a grain of salt, because processing times speed up and slow down all the time. Once the I-130 is approved, it's just a matter of how fast you respond to NVC's requests for documents and affidavit of support, and then how fast your dad gets his visa application and medical done. Usually the longer part of the process is getting the I-130 approved, the shorter part is the visa process.

So after I-130 gets approved, it gets sent to the consulate in his home country, and the consulate issues a visa, he travels to the US on that visa. Did I get that right?
Basically, yes. With the NVC step in the middle.

]The uscis site says he becomes a PR once admitted at that stage into the US. Did I get this right?
Yes, correct.

So in this process, there is only 1 form to file, just the I-130. Is that right?
No. There will be the I-130 plus whatever forms are required for that submission (go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, and read the I-130 instructions for immediate family member). After that, there will be the I-864 affidavit of support to be filed with NVC, plus original civil documents from your dad (birth certificate, military discharge papers if any, copy of passport, police report). When NVC issues a case number, your dad can get his medical exam done, and then do the visa application forms (I'm not sure if you're going through London...it doesn't sound like it...so check the US Embassy website where your dad will be interviewing for details on Immigrant Visa application forms and process).

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Military discharge papers? Even for someone over 70 years old?

I also read on one of the forms' instructions for parents, that they need the marriage certificate to show that my mum and dad were married prior to me being born. I found that awfully odd.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 1:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Military discharge papers? Even for someone over 70 years old?
I don't know. If the instructions from NVC say they don't need military discharge paperwork from someone over a certain age, then no. Otherwise, yes.

I also read on one of the forms' instructions for parents, that they need the marriage certificate to show that my mum and dad were married prior to me being born. I found that awfully odd.
I don't know that, either. Just follow all the instructions carefully and provide whatever documentation is required.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How else could you prove that this person is, in fact, your father?

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 1:48 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How else could you prove that this person is, in fact, your father?

Ian
Long form birth certificate naming the father, Ian.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Oh... well, yes - I suppose that'd do it! Nevermind!

Ian
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You and your father really should have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney, while your father is here in the USA on his visit.

To be prepared for the possibility that your father might decide to apply for adjustment of status, after having consulted with the attorney, he might want to bring with him, or be prepared to send for, all of the documentation required for your petition and his application to adjust status.

Regards, JEff
I'm hoping I will become a USC before my dad arrives end Jan. Now, I'm trying to figure out the best way for him to obtain PR status.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How did you know that the father's name his Ian?

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:27 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
How did you know that the father's name his Ian?

Regards, JEff
It says so on the long form birth certificate. Claro?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:05 pm

You've seen it?

Regards, JEff
It says so on the long form birth certificate. Claro?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:23 pm

No.
Are consular processing times listed somewhere?
No. The approved petition is sent the the National Visa Center in New Hampshire.
So after I-130 gets approved, it gets sent to the consulate in his home country, ...
No. You father submits an immigrant visa application and supporting documentation to the NVC. You submit an I-864 affidavit of support to the NVC. When the NVC is satisfied that it has a complete visa application package, the NVC will send the visa application package to the consulate in London and schedule an interview date. Your father should have a medical exam given by an approved Panel Physician prior to the interview date. After the interview, if it approves the visa application the consulate will issue the visa.
... and the consulate issues a visa, ...
This you got right.
...he travels to the US on that visa. Did I get that right? The uscis site says he becomes a PR once admitted at that stage into the US. Did I get this right?
No.
So in this process, there is only 1 form to file, just the I-130. Is that right?
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
No.

Originally Posted by jmood View Post
...he travels to the US on that visa. Did I get that right? The uscis site says he becomes a PR once admitted at that stage into the US. Did I get this right?
No.

Regards, JEff
Can you please explain this?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:01 pm

JEff always answers above the quote, so with the line you pointed out, he answered "This you got right". It's the other quotes that had "no".

Rene
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, OK, my mistake. Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 9:56 pm

As Rene pointed out, I top-post.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.