Filing AOS at Newark

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 4:58 pm
nymsa

okay, i've dug through the experiences pages and 72000+ posts worth of
alt.visa.us.marriage-based archives and i'm not coming up with an answer to my
question, so it seems worth asking here.

the last time i brought up filing AOS at newark, i was told to file everything in
person because if you *insist* you can get EAD same day and that that's some special
provision for K1ers.

my question is, for the people who have done that, were you told by newark that you
were allowed to file the I-485 in person?

everything we've gotten in the mail says that the AOS form is mail-in only. my
concern is that we're going to go there prepared to fight for same day EAD only to
find out that there's no point because no one is allowed to file AOS in person there
anyway. i wasn't sure if the filed-in-person success stories i've been seeing were
perhaps completed before newark changed their acceptance of 485s from in person to
mail only.

so is there also some special provision for k1ers that we can file AOS in person,
even if the local office says we can't? or is it only that we can file for same day
EAD if we're already allowed/filing 485 in person?

we're hoping to go camp out at newark on thursday night and i'm really dreading the
potential of sitting there for 10 hours only to be told "sorry, we can't accept *any*
of that. go mail it." i'm more than willing to fight, i'd just like something to back
it up with. hopefully current info on newark.

thanks.

--nymsa

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 10:19 pm
LKish

I can tell you that we sat outside in a snowstorm in December of 1998 and were told
after an 8 hour wait that we COULD NOT apply in person. We sent the I-485 and I-765
from across the street at the Post Office. We also sent in an application for
advanced parole which was returned in May of 1999 - along with everything else! EAD
appt. was in August 1999 and AOS interview in April 2000. We even had intervention by
our Congressman. Granted I-551 June 2001. Just waiting to remove conditions now.

I don't know if anything has changed since we applied but just thought I would let
you know what happened to us. Also friends of ours are just getting their AOS
interview now after a 500 day wait at Newark.

Please post if you are able to get the same day EAD. No one I know to date has been
able to get this.

Linda and Chris CanAm 1998

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 10:32 pm
Alvena Ferreira

LKish wrote:
    >
    >
    >
Here is the only positive experience I could find: http://groups.google.com/groups?h-
l=en&safe=off&ic=1&th=28fb27ffb4e886c5,11&seekm=37 3B8795.8AF121BA%40ifu.net#p

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only:
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 11:07 pm
koibito

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There is no such thing as a special provision for K-1'ers at Newark.

>
    >

The I-485/Adjustment of Status has to be filed by mail.

A few people were lucky, and could file the I-765/Application for Employment
Authorization in person. For that you have to go to the INS building early in the
morning (2 a.m. would be a good time). Bring all the paperwork with you, including
checks and photocopies.

--jan
--
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking
good, either.

Old Jul 4th 2001, 1:38 am
LKish

We tryied applying for EAD in person and were told emphatically NO! They even have a
huge sign saying family-based EADs will not be granted in person. We were told to
mail it in and wait. A congressman's intervention did not help or speed things up.

By the way - Newark even made us get a new Medical for AOS. The K1 medical which was
about 18 months old was no longer valid. Other INS centers accept the medical from
the K1 interview.

The post from May of 1999 was the same time we were there. I never saw a post from
them again.

Chris and Linda

Old Jul 5th 2001, 11:29 am
Keanur

hi nymsa:

here is how it WORKED for us:

I filed in March '01 in person. The only way to get around is to file for I-131 at
the very same time!!!! That's the trick. Then only the allow to file the 485, 765 the
very same moment.

The problem is with the first 2 'screening stations'. As we all know must of the
staff doesn't know their own rules. That's where you have to insist...

Upon passing I was sent up to the famous 3rd floor but still had to convince them
that I had a valid reason for travel in early April. The officer I spoke to was very
reluctant and called his supervisor to the window...

I also tried to get the EAD the same day but to no avail BUT the EAD appointment
date on the spot, i.e. a date within the 90 days (I had the stamp from JFK).

By the way, I just had my interview! But no I-551 or card 'cos they are waiting for
CIA clearance.

Good luck, Chris

nymsa <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 7th 2001, 2:56 pm
Sam McAdams

Hiya Chris!

I think you replied to one of my posts, when I was stressing out about Newark
speeding my timeline beyond the speed of light.

I too had my interview, and was told that I was approved, pending CIA background
check. No I-551 stamp. They did stamp my passport with another stamp, that just says
that I came in for the interview, and has my interviewer's initials on it.

I wonder what's going on. I contemplated going in again armed with the memo regarding
CIA checks, but then thought better of it, as I'm on thin ice with work with the
number of days I've taken off to get all of this done (I got hired very recently).

Everything in it's own sweet time, eh?

Sam McAdams

"Keanur" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > okay, i've dug through the experiences pages and 72000+ posts worth of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > alt.visa.us.marriage-based archives and i'm not coming up with an answer to my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > question, so it seems worth asking here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the last time i brought up filing AOS at newark, i was told to file everything in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > person because if you *insist* you can get EAD same day and that that's some[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > special provision for K1ers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my question is, for the people who have done that, were you told by newark that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you were allowed to file the I-485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > everything we've gotten in the mail says that the AOS form is mail-in only. my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > concern is that we're going to go there prepared to fight for same day EAD only[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to find out that there's no point because no one is allowed to file AOS in person[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there anyway. i wasn't sure if the filed-in-person success stories i've been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > seeing were perhaps completed before newark changed their acceptance of 485s from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in person to mail only.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > so is there also some special provision for k1ers that we can file AOS in person,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > even if the local office says we can't? or is it only that we can file for same[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > day EAD if we're already allowed/filing 485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we're hoping to go camp out at newark on thursday night and i'm really dreading[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the potential of sitting there for 10 hours only to be told "sorry, we can't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > accept *any* of that. go mail it." i'm more than willing to fight, i'd just like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > something to back it up with. hopefully current info on newark.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --nymsa[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 9th 2001, 12:57 am
Keanur

Hi all! Got the letter from INS Newark yesterday: APPROVED I can go any given
Wednesday (8-12) to INS Newark and get the I-551 in my passport. The actual greencard
will arrive in approx. 6 months according to the letter.... All done, all set. Recap:
the interview was held on 6/19 with the officer remarking "waiting for CIA
clearance"... so it took only 3 weeks to get this thru.

Regards, Chris

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > okay, i've dug through the experiences pages and 72000+ posts worth of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > alt.visa.us.marriage-based archives and i'm not coming up with an answer to my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > question, so it seems worth asking here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the last time i brought up filing AOS at newark, i was told to file everything[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > in person because if you *insist* you can get EAD same day and that that's some[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > special provision for K1ers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > my question is, for the people who have done that, were you told by newark that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > you were allowed to file the I-485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > everything we've gotten in the mail says that the AOS form is mail-in only. my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > concern is that we're going to go there prepared to fight for same day EAD only[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to find out that there's no point because no one is allowed to file AOS in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > person there anyway. i wasn't sure if the filed-in-person success stories i've[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > been seeing were perhaps completed before newark changed their acceptance of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 485s from in person to mail only.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > so is there also some special provision for k1ers that we can file AOS in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > person, even if the local office says we can't? or is it only that we can file[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for same day EAD if we're already allowed/filing 485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > we're hoping to go camp out at newark on thursday night and i'm really dreading[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the potential of sitting there for 10 hours only to be told "sorry, we can't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > accept *any* of that. go mail it." i'm more than willing to fight, i'd just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > like something to back it up with. hopefully current info on newark.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --nymsa[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 9th 2001, 1:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sam

Jim had the same put in his passport when we had our interview in June 2001 and our original file was in storage in Lee's Summit. It said "AOS pending Section 245 [date]" signed by the DAO.

It doesn't mean anything but is nice to know that at least there is some "official" confirmation that the interview took place.

Rita
Old Jul 9th 2001, 9:53 am
Sam McAdams

Good for you!

Congratulations!

I just hope that mine takes only 3 weeks to clear too Although the officer
mentioned a 2-3 month wait LOL.

Go out and have a drink for Brendan and me *grins*

Sam McAdams

"Keanur" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > > okay, i've dug through the experiences pages and 72000+ posts worth[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > > > alt.visa.us.marriage-based archives and i'm not coming up with an answer to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > my question, so it seems worth asking here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the last time i brought up filing AOS at newark, i was told to file[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > everything in person because if you *insist* you can get EAD same[/usenetquote2]
day
[usenetquote2]> > > > and that that's some special provision for K1ers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > my question is, for the people who have done that, were you told by newark[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > that you were allowed to file the I-485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > everything we've gotten in the mail says that the AOS form is[/usenetquote2]
mail-in
[usenetquote2]> > > > only. my concern is that we're going to go there prepared to fight for same[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > day EAD only to find out that there's no point because no[/usenetquote2]
one
[usenetquote2]> > > > is allowed to file AOS in person there anyway. i wasn't sure if the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > filed-in-person success stories i've been seeing were perhaps completed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > before newark changed their acceptance of 485s from in person to mail only.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > so is there also some special provision for k1ers that we can file[/usenetquote2]
AOS
[usenetquote2]> > > > in person, even if the local office says we can't? or is it only[/usenetquote2]
that
[usenetquote2]> > > > we can file for same day EAD if we're already allowed/filing 485 in person?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > we're hoping to go camp out at newark on thursday night and i'm[/usenetquote2]
really
[usenetquote2]> > > > dreading the potential of sitting there for 10 hours only to be told "sorry,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > we can't accept *any* of that. go mail it." i'm more than willing to fight,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > i'd just like something to back it up with. hopefully current info on newark.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > --nymsa[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 17th 2001, 6:17 pm
nymsa

once upon a time, nymsa wrote:

>
    >
    >

well ... that's what i was dreading and that's what happened. but now we know.

if you're considering doing this: don't bother.

here's our timeline (also posted to the AOS experiences page a few minutes ago,
although i don't think the formatting held):

01:45am - arrive. queue at door that states opening times for walk-in service and
such. no one else there; we figure we're first.

2:30am - security guard wakes up. sees us at the door. tells us that we have to line
up across the street, despite the fact that there's no sign there designating that
as the queue. join queue. go from first in line to 40th in line and realize we
could've slept another 3 hours.

3:15am - get moved a little closer to being inside. still #40ish on line.

4:35am - pass through metal detector. security questioned me about my drink in my
backpack (iced tea) and asked about the husband's socks.

5:44am - winding queue. served by one woman. tried to file 485, 765, 131 with her.
we were told the first two were mail in only and that the 131 was only done in
person within three weeks of travel, with evidence. referred to a supervisor and
told to go across the hall in room 135.

6:00am - 2 desks in room 135 open and they start calling people. the room is
already full.

7:15am - 4 desks are open, all for replacement green cards.

8:40am - information desk opens for those of us with questions. we're number 23
and waiting.

9:55am - 4 desks are now open for information.

10:06am - they're up to number 21. ins folks come in to say that the room is too full
and anyone without a number (including spouses, children, and translators) must
leave and go upstairs to the cafeteria.

11:07am - press them and find out that we only have to leave until the number has
gotten close. i tell them my husband is #23, they say i can stay.

12:10am - our number is called up. we're told that all of these applications are mail
only since 1995-1996. we talk to the assistant supervisor and her supervisor. they
insist we can't file them there. we ask for their names. they ask for colin's
name. we fight and insist and say "maybe someone else has different information"
and "we know people who filed in person" and "we were told differently by the 800
number" and lots of things like that, and they just say "no." they also say that
the 800 number, and anyone other than newark, is just plain wrong. of course, you
can't get info from newark without queueing like we did, so ...

we leave around 10:30am. 9 hours at newark. interacted with other people for maybe 7
minutes or so. got turned away, went home, put together an envelope and mailed the
stuff off.

just over a week later, on 14july, we received an envelope back stating that the
I-131 must be filed in person, so they were returning it to us. what they returned
was our fee and application form, minus all the supporting documentation. apparently,
to file that, we have to go wait in line again.

today, on 17july, we received notification that our apps were received and being
processed. we've got a receipt number. estimated processing time on the 765 is 90
days (oct10). estimated processing time on the 485 is 395 days (august 2002).

now we wait. and we go back to newark and wait more so we can file in person the form
we were told can only be filed by mail.

nymsa&colin

Old Jul 17th 2001, 7:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nymsa
once upon a time, nymsa wrote:

>
    >
    >

well ... that's what i was dreading and that's what happened. but now we know.

if you're considering doing this: don't bother.

here's our timeline (also posted to the AOS experiences page a few minutes ago,
although i don't think the formatting held):

01:45am - arrive. queue at door that states opening times for walk-in service and
such. no one else there; we figure we're first.

2:30am - security guard wakes up. sees us at the door. tells us that we have to line
up across the street, despite the fact that there's no sign there designating that
as the queue. join queue. go from first in line to 40th in line and realize we
could've slept another 3 hours.

<<snip>>

12:10am - our number is called up.

Would this be 12:10 pm?

we leave around 10:30am.

Two hours before your number was called? Something isn't adding up, but it doesn't detract much from the point of your post. Real bummer.

today, on 17july, we received notification that our apps were received and being
processed. we've got a receipt number. estimated processing time on the 765 is 90
days (oct10). estimated processing time on the 485 is 395 days (august 2002).

now we wait. and we go back to newark and wait more so we can file in person the form
we were told can only be filed by mail.

nymsa&colin
My wife filed her I-485 and I-765 by mail to Newark in December 2000. Got the same estimated processing times that you did. The estimated 90 day wait on the I-765 is now approximately 210 days, with no response to a verbal request for information to the national '800' number or written requests to both Newark and Cherry Hill (we're in the Cherry Hill area, and we have signed postal service delivery receipts from both offices).

On the bright side, Cherry Hill did process the I-131 without any hassle when she filed it in person in April.

Regards, JEff
Old Jul 17th 2001, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from JEff

My wife filed her I-485 and I-765 by mail to Newark in December 2000. Got the same estimated processing times that you did. The estimated 90 day wait on the I-765 is now approximately 210 days, with no response to a verbal request for information to the national '800' number or written requests to both Newark and Cherry Hill (we're in the Cherry Hill area, and we have signed postal service delivery receipts from both offices).

On the bright side, Cherry Hill did process the I-131 without any hassle when she filed it in person in April.

Regards, JEff

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

210 days for the EAD to be issued? and then AOS in about 165 days from there? Have you gone to CH in person?

Rita
Old Jul 17th 2001, 10:20 pm
LKish

In all the years my husband and I have been viewing this NG, only one person said
they filed in person at Newark, so i was always wary of that statement. We also tried
to apply in person December 1998 and were told to mail it in. We did, along with the
I-131, and it took INS 5 MONTHS to return our packet. Consider yourself lucky that it
was returned so quickly.

Good Luck with the rest of the process. We have friends that are having their AOS
interview this week in Cherry Hill; their wait was over 500 days (K1 visa).

Linda and Chris

Old Jul 18th 2001, 4:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rita,

Had I been better informed at the time, we would have raised the issue of the overdue EAD processing when we were at Cherry Hill applying for the AP. At the moment my wife is back in her home country visiting family and friends for the summer. For sure another visit will be made to Cherry Hill as soon as she returns to the US in September!

And I certainly don't expect that the AOS processing will go on schedule! Indeed, my expectation is that they've lost both the AOS and EAD applications and she'll be re-doing them. Hopefully her receipt notice and cashed checks will at least prove the the I-765 was originally filed within the K-1 time limit.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete
Quote from JEff

Regards, JEff

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

210 days for the EAD to be issued? and then AOS in about 165 days from there? Have you gone to CH in person?

Rita