File Retired?

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 3:20 am
Ann

Default File Retired?

My husband has been approved to have the conditions removed from his permanent
residency, but when we received his paperwork we realized that when we moved from
Seattle, WA to Connecticut, they did not put through his change of address and
forward the file to Hartford. When he called the Seattle office to have them do so,
they told him that his file had been retired to Missouri and that they thought he was
already a citizen! I called a national info line, and was told that he'd have to go
to Hartford in person to have them request the file.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Thanks,

Ann

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 10:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: File Retired?

Removal of conditions is not done at the local INS level, so moving the file to Hartford is not required. Since he is in Connectict the I-751 should be sent to Vermont Service Center. Usually it is approved without an interview. If the file is required by either Vermont or if you are required to attend an interview, then by Hartford, they will do the requesting from the Lee's Summit, MO file center. It is normal for the files to be archived there and not in the less unusual.

As for the national INS number, the people paid to man the lines and answers questions are notorious for giving incorrect, incomplete and oft-times off the wall answers. Never rely on them for answers to any questions.

Go ahead and file the I-751 in a timely manner. You can d/l the form from the INS website. The instruction sheet is comprehensive.

Rete
Old Jun 24th 2002, 7:20 am
Ann

Nono, I didn't mean to be unclear--his conditional status has been approved, they
just want him to get an updated green card, and suggested that he cannot do so
without his file being physically present at whatever office he goes to get the
new card..

Frankly, we'd just rather make one single visit to the Hartford office to get a card
rather than a first visit to request that they request the file and then a second
visit to get a new card, if it's possible. They're saying that he has to request that
the file be sent to Hartford in person, and then go to Hartford to get his new card
after the file has arrived. Whenever that would be.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks, Ann "Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Removal of conditions is not done at the local INS level, so moving the file to
    > Hartford is not required. Since he is in Connectict the I-751 should be sent to
    > Vermont Service Center. Usually it is approved without an interview. If the file is
    > required by either Vermont or if you are required to attend an interview, then by
    > Hartford, they will do the requesting from the Lee's Summit, MO file center. It is
    > normal for the files to be archived there and not in the less unusual.
    >
    > As for the national INS number, the people paid to man the lines and answers
    > questions are notorious for giving incorrect, incomplete and oft-times off the wall
    > answers. Never rely on them for answers to any questions.
    >
    > Go ahead and file the I-751 in a timely manner. You can d/l the form from the INS
    > website. The instruction sheet is comprehensive.
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 24th 2002, 10:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ann

You were clear. I misread apparently.

Since his removal was approved, he is to take his Notice of Action/Approval to the local INS office with the required photographs (3 ADIT photos). There they will complete the I-89 (believe that is the correct number) the same as one as when he got the original card. They will send it to Vermont to be made. All that should be required is the NOA, photo ID and him.

If the they you are referreding to is the National Hotline number personnel, again don't listen to them. Your file is suppose to be in Missouri.

Rete