Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

On F1visa, married, can I terminate I-20

On F1visa, married, can I terminate I-20

Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Qhetah77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy On F1visa, married, can I terminate I-20

I got married with my high school sweet heart last year on February. He is a US citizen just got it a bit after we got married and we just went through interview for my green card on Feb 15th,2006.

We weren't questioned much, didn't even ask us about anything personal excpet if we both are full time students and if we work. Rest he just kept asking me to give me all the paper works. but we missed one affidavid from my husband, we filled it out and gave the interviewer after interview, also he told my husband to write a letter about why he stoped working two months ago. he explained on the letter that he just transfered to University and had to focus on it. Also my 1-94 original was taken away.

Its been two weeks now, my school just started and i have to pay out of state tuition. My question is, can I just stop going to school, because I am very poor, I need to save money if its possible. My F1 will be terminated if I do that. My counsolar tells me that if I do that, the immegration won't let me have my green card, coz i dont have a legal status. Is that true? because logically, I dont have any status rite now considering my i-94 is taken away...
I really need to make a decision whether to drop out from school right now or not...
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On F1visa, married, can I terminate I-20

When USCIS accepted your AOS filing (form I-485), you were "legally" in the US at that point and you didn't need to maintain your F visa status from that point forward. You could maintain it if you wanted (and indeed, you did), but you didn't have to maintain it in order to remain in the US legally. Your status right now is "pending" or "adjustment applicant" -- it's not a real official term but it describes what you are right now. There was a recent thread on what your official status is... read it here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354333

Anyway, point is, you don't have to attend school/maintain your F status if you don't want to. You are now here legally regardless of whether you are enrolled in school or not (ON EDIT: assuming you were eligible to file I-485 and you did file I-485 and USCIS received/accepted the filing).

There might be an advantage to maintaining your F-1 status, but it's not a financial one ;o)

BTW, some schools will let you pay in-state tuition even before you get your green card -- just depends on the school. So if you want to continue your education but just can't afford the international/out of state tuition, you may want to look at the "in-state" requirements at other schools in your area.

Last edited by hcj1440; Feb 24th 2006 at 7:09 am.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Default On F1visa, married, can I terminate I-20

So If I do drop all of my classes in school and my F1 gets terminated...what will happen if my green card application is denied? will they deport me? what should i do then?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qhetah77
So If I do drop all of my classes in school and my F1 gets terminated...what will happen if my green card application is denied? will they deport me? what should i do then?
If your GC application is denied, yes, they will ask you to leave.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hcj1440
If your GC application is denied, yes, they will ask you to leave.
Ah Thank you so much I think I will just keep F1 for safety then. At least if my GC didn't go through I will still have a legal status