Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

Originally Posted by Roberrrt
Bit strange, I thought knowing a family that have given me a place to stay would be an advantage.
You have to factor in that plenty of dishonest families attempt to bring in relatives and foreign students as low cost live-in domestic workers and laborers. It's quite common for someone to attempt to supplement their income with unauthorized work while they are studying.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so If I get a letter from this family saying how they know me and why they have offered me a place to live will that help me?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberrrt
Ok so If I get a letter from this family saying how they know me and why they have offered me a place to live will that help me?
Will they lay out the details of the work you'll do for them in that letter?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

What work?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is one thing I do not understand.

It would be a long shot meeting someone in the UK who was in easy commute of a Uni you wamted to go to, the US is a much bigger country. I guess the Consulate are wondering what are the chances?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

I met them then decided to go because the college offers a good architecture program
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to convince anyone here, we are not in a position to grant you a visa. But keep in mind that any question or concern people here can think of, a Consular officer (who *is* in a position to grant or deny you a visa) can think of too, and then some. They have seen it all, I'm sure.

So if you are serious about attending this college, or any other college in the US (why limit yourself to just one who happens to be close to these friends from church), you will need to convince a CO that you are a bona-fide student and not just some kid who wants to spend 4 years with his 'friends' in the US.

Work with the school, secure funding and student housing, take your 'friends' out of the picture, and put in another application with the same supporting evidence as any other legitimate foreign student at this school. That's your best shot if you are really serious about pursuing an education in the US.

If your real motives are something different, then marry your USC girlfriend, get a family based immigrant visa and be done with it already.

Last edited by discoviking; Jun 25th 2011 at 3:55 pm.