Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

Hey I'm new to this forum.

I'm a citizen of the UK and have been all my life.

I went for an interview yesterday at the US embassy and I got denied because of 214(b).

I had everything I needed but I got denied because I had no proof of ties to the UK I think.

I met a family from Pennsylvania in the UK at my church and have been to visit them several times as I am very friendly with them, I told them I was interested in studying architecture and I would maybe like to study over in the US and they said I could live with them while I was studying.

How can I prove that I have strong ties in the UK? Because I do, I have a large family, a large inheritance to come back to, bank accounts etc etc.

Please help.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Visa denied because of 214(b) Refusal

Originally Posted by Roberrrt
How can I prove that I have strong ties in the UK? Because I do, I have a large family, a large inheritance to come back to, bank accounts etc etc.
The large family isn't a strong tie...many people move away from family permanently. The inheritance isn't a strong tie...would you not still get the inheritance if you didn't live in the UK?

Besides the bank accounts, what are the etc etc items you mention?

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Oh ok then....

How can I prove I'm gonna come back then? A return flight?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Because I do, I have a large family, a large inheritance to come back to, bank accounts etc etc.
How can I prove I'm gonna come back then? A return flight?
A return flight shows you'll be coming back, but it doesn't prove a strong tie.

Did you show enough savings in your bank account to cover your whole degree program, including tuition, books, and cost of living?

I was specifically asking about the bolded underlined part of your first post. Can you elaborate on that?

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I have proved I have enough money to go and got the i20 from the school. I dont understand what you're asking?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:37 pm

Yeah I have proved I have enough money to go and got the i20 from the school. I dont understand what you're asking?
I'm just asking you to be more specific in the part of your post where you said "etc. etc.", as in "I have more proof of my ties to the UK, but I haven't listed them here".

You said...large family, inheritance, bank accounts, ETC ETC. I am asking you to actually list the items you were thinking of when you wrote ETC ETC. Maybe those items are helpful in showing your ties, but we can't tell because ETC ETC is too vague.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

I have a job to come back to and a business to take over. my inheritance is property that my family own.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:09 pm

I have a job to come back to and a business to take over. my inheritance is property that my family own.
OK, the job to come back to is a big one that you didn't post at first. What did you show to prove you had a job waiting for you upon completion of your studies, and how did you show that furthing your education in architecture relates to the job waiting for you?

If the job is just taking over the family business, it may or may not be a very strong tie. What does the family business do? Architecture-related work?

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

they didn't ask for anything to prove that I had strong ties so I couldn't show them anything, also I didn't take anything because I didn't think I had to but next time I will.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:13 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I'm new to this forum.

I'm a citizen of the UK and have been all my life.

I went for an interview yesterday at the US embassy and I got denied because of 214(b).

I had everything I needed but I got denied because I had no proof of ties to the UK I think.

I met a family from Pennsylvania in the UK at my church and have been to visit them several times as I am very friendly with them, I told them I was interested in studying architecture and I would maybe like to study over in the US and they said I could live with them while I was studying.

Please help.
Please elaborate on what you mean by "have been to visit them several times".

How long did you stay each time?

How close together were the trips?

Do they happen to own a business of some sort?

How old are you?

The job to come back to isn't really any help. If the employer/employee can do without each other for the time you study, why couldn't you do without each other permanently?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

I've been twice to visit them from June 24th - August 2nd then December 30 - February 16. Then I went to California in July 2009 to visit friends in America. I have a lot of friends in America that I meet at the calvary chapel bible college in york. Is this the problem or something?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

The family to own a business yeah. and I'm 20 years old.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, how do people normally prove "strong ties" to a country they won't be living in for four years, if they get their visa?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:10 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Out of curiosity, how do people normally prove "strong ties" to a country they won't be living in for four years, if they get their visa?
Here's some guidance that the DOS put out about that issue:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_2734.html

As you can see, it leaves more questions than it answers.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:18 am
crg
American Expat

The family to own a business yeah. and I'm 20 years old.
Does this family have a daughter about your age?

They probably suspect some quid pro quo arrangement between the two families. "My kid stays at your house for free while he goes to school and he milks the cows before school and works behind the counter after school" or He'll babysit your kids when he's not in school". They may be skeptical that you happened to find the most altruistic family on the Eastern Seaboard that is going to open their home to a foreign student they barely know for 4 years for free. That's quite a commitment. Frankly, I don't blame them because I'm skeptical that there isn't some kind of arrangement.

If they aren't convinced that your intended activities will fall within what is allowed as an F-1, you are considered an immigrant by definition and need an immigrant visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.