Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F1 Student Visa Application - Drunken Disorderly?

F1 Student Visa Application - Drunken Disorderly?

Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Igloo15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 Student Visa Application - Drunken Disorderly?

Hi there,

I am currently applying for an F1-Visa to study in the USA. I have a place at a university there, for one year (exchange program).

18 months ago, aged 18, I was arrested for Drunken Disorderly and had a fixed penalty notice of £80, which I paid the following day. My question is, what special measures will be required/taken in terms of the embassy interview because of this offence? Will I need to have a medical examination? If I get there without having one will I need to re-book it and pay for it again because I need to get a medical before hand?

Also, a separate question for anyone who can offer some advice, I was arrested in 2007 (aged 15) for criminal damage (given a reprimand) when me and my friends accidently broke a bus window. How will I fair with these two rather minor (but still bad enough to be important) offences against my name?

Has anyone any advice on how to present these types of offences?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Student Visa Application - Drunken Disorderly?

Originally Posted by Igloo15
Hi there,

I am currently applying for an F1-Visa to study in the USA. I have a place at a university there, for one year (exchange program).

18 months ago, aged 18, I was arrested for Drunken Disorderly and had a fixed penalty notice of £80, which I paid the following day. My question is, what special measures will be required/taken in terms of the embassy interview because of this offence? Will I need to have a medical examination? If I get there without having one will I need to re-book it and pay for it again because I need to get a medical before hand?

Also, a separate question for anyone who can offer some advice, I was arrested in 2007 (aged 15) for criminal damage (given a reprimand) when me and my friends accidently broke a bus window. How will I fair with these two rather minor (but still bad enough to be important) offences against my name?

Has anyone any advice on how to present these types of offences?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!
http://london.usembassy.gov/students.html

Applying for the visa

You are required to obtain from the school or academic institution the Form I-20A-B Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status - For Academic or Language Students or I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status Form. Schools and institutions which have received United States government appproval to enroll foreign students have the authority to issue these forms. The I-20A-B or I-20M-N is not valid for travel unless accompanied by a valid visa. Once you have this form, please review the following FIVE STEPS below before beginning your visa application.

Step 1: If you have ever been arrested and/or have a criminal conviction, have a medical ineligibility, or have been denied entry into or deported from the United States you will be required to furnish documents relating to your situation in support of your application. Please click on the relevant links for further information.

http://london.usembassy.gov/add_crime.html
Documents relating to your arrest and/or conviction

Applicants are required to furnish a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued within 6 months of the date of the visa interview. Information on obtaining the police certificate is available from the ACPO website
...(more)
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you accidentally break a bus window?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Igloo15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
How do you accidentally break a bus window?
I thought someone might flag this up haha. Have to be careful how you choose your words I guess, basically, it was a school bus from a 'rival' school, and they would often throw things/swear at us, so one day we just picked up what we could so some stones from the side of the road, and just threw them, really should have known that stones and glass dont mix, regardless of how softly you throw them. So, it was an accident, but the kind of accident that wouldnt have happened if we weren't being idiots. ha.

Hope that clears it up, long story I know.