F1 to J1

Old May 5th 2009, 7:20 am
Just Joined

andrewfaniku is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 to J1

Quickest way to change my F1 visa to a J1 ?

What is the Quickest way to change my F1 visa to a J1 ?

I am a British citizen on an F1 visa in America. I obtained my visa in England. I would like to find out if I need to come back to the embassy in England to get a J1 visa which I need for my residency training or should I just apply for a transfer of visa status here in America?

I am supposed to resume residency training by June 25th. I would like to find out how long the process takes if I file an application in America compared to if I come to the embassy in England.

My lawyer couldn’t answer these questions. I need to know the quickest route to changing my F1 visa to a J1.

Sincerely,

Andrew
Old May 5th 2009, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 to J1

Originally Posted by andrewfaniku
I would like to find out if I need to come back to the embassy in England to get a J1 visa which I need for my residency training...
You don't necessarily need to return to England... you just need to be outside the US inasmuch as you can't actually get a visa while you are inside the US.

... should I just apply for a transfer of visa status here in America?
This is probably the easiest thing to do... but you will remain landlocked. IOW, a change of status does not act as a valid travel document. If you plan on remaining in the US for the duration of your J-1, it's not an issue. If you do plan on travelling, then once you leave the US, you must visit a US Embassy to get the "real" J-1 visa.

Ian
Old May 10th 2009, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

andrewfaniku is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't necessarily need to return to England... you just need to be outside the US inasmuch as you can't actually get a visa while you are inside the US.

This is probably the easiest thing to do... but you will remain landlocked. IOW, a change of status does not act as a valid travel document. If you plan on remaining in the US for the duration of your J-1, it's not an issue. If you do plan on travelling, then once you leave the US, you must visit a US Embassy to get the "real" J-1 visa.

Ian
Thank you Ian, i was also at your blog website , loved some of your articles,esp the one on meaning of family. felt your article on christianity was too critical. i'll suggest you read mere christianity by CS Lewis. After Jesus' death. his disciples were disappointed in him, Peter denied him, they thought that for all his power and authority , he couldnt stand up to his persecutors. there was only one reason they could make a 180 degree turn from a depressed group into an actively evangelizing group-he rose! That was too mind boggling that Thomas even doubted him when he saw him life. This is still the most wonderful story ever told
Old May 10th 2009, 1:50 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British citizen on an F1 visa in America. I obtained my visa in England. I would like to find out if I need to come back to the embassy in England to get a J1 visa which I need for my residency training or should I just apply for a transfer of visa status here in America?

I am supposed to resume residency training by June 25th. I would like to find out how long the process takes if I file an application in America compared to if I come to the embassy in England.

My lawyer couldn’t answer these questions. I need to know the quickest route to changing my F1 visa to a J1.

Sincerely,

Andrew
The first step is to get the SEVIS DS-2019 from your J-1 sponsor. You may not have enough time to get the change of status approved before June 25.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... felt your article on christianity was too critical.
Thanks... but I don't really care about your opinion on my beliefs.

Ian
Old May 10th 2009, 2:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Thanks... but I don't really care about your opinion on my beliefs.

Ian
Perhaps he's already a US citizen and just never realized it.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sincerely,

Andrew
Which specialty? Good luck!