Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F-1 student visa application and Some Concerns...Please Help!!!

F-1 student visa application and Some Concerns...Please Help!!!

Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F-1 student visa application and Some Concerns...Please Help!!!

Shah,

Is there a German Embassy in your own home country? Maybe they can help you faster than the German Embassy in Turkey. Make an appointment with them, go in person, explain what happened, and find out what signing that paper meant. Or, just go ahead to the F-1 interview with the document you receive from the German Embassy in Turkey, and explain it to the officer at that time, and see if they require a waiver of some sort. I have the feeling none of us on here will know exactly what that paper you signed means, we are not German on here, and it seems no one so far has had that situation happen to them. You need to ask German authorities what it means.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Shah,

Is there a German Embassy in your own home country? Maybe they can help you faster than the German Embassy in Turkey. Make an appointment with them, go in person, explain what happened, and find out what signing that paper meant. Or, just go ahead to the F-1 interview with the document you receive from the German Embassy in Turkey, and explain it to the officer at that time, and see if they require a waiver of some sort. I have the feeling none of us on here will know exactly what that paper you signed means, we are not German on here, and it seems no one so far has had that situation happen to them. You need to ask German authorities what it means.

Rene
Rene:

I can see why you posted this question. But I do believe OP said he "lives" in Turkey. Believe it or not, Turkish citizens also use the consulates in Turkey.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rene:

I can see why you posted this question. But I do believe OP said he "lives" in Turkey. Believe it or not, Turkish citizens also use the consulates in Turkey.
Hi MrF,

I have reason to believe the OP isn't a Turkish citizen, and doesn't actually live in Turkey, but is using the US Embassy in Ankara for his F1 interview.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

shah.sh2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

To Noorah and Folinsky:

I am living in Turkey since 3 month ago because I have to take part in
some exams, But I reside in neighbour country Iran...
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by shah.sh2000
To Noorah and Folinsky:

I am living in Turkey since 3 month ago because I have to take part in
some exams, But I reside in neighbour country Iran...
Thank you for clearing that up.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
You'd have to figure that out from Germany to be sure.

But in general, I would think you'd have to make a statement in order to confess. If you specificially decline to make a statement.... but I guess it depends what the rest of the paper said.

I am even wondering if you were actually arrested, or just voluntarily went for questioning. Were you handcuffed, or fingerprinted, or anything? Did they say you were being arrested?

Because we have two questions here 1) were you arrested and 2) were you convicted.

You didn't have to pay for the pens? Did you keep them?

The German cops were kind men, They did not handcuffed me and I was not fingerprinted....
we just go to Police station then I signed that paper, and because they were in hurry (due to shift change) they suggested me to sign and go...

No I did not pay for those pens and Cops gave them to store staff
Young cop told me that nothing will happen to your visa ...

Today I asked one of my friends who knows law and will become a lawyer soon, he said that:
since German government issued another Schengen visa for you, it looks like that you do not have any criminal problem with Federal Government,
He also said that he knew many others who have been convicted to jail due to Moral turpitude and deported to their home country from Germany and they never could retain their Schengen Visa nor they could obtain it again!

He said that since you have NOT been considered as a risky element to arrive in Germany after six months again, then it can be predicted that there is no record on your file ,and what has been occured is a "Civil matter" between you and that store,
He emphasized that German database of crimes has nothing to do with American Embassies...

I don't know whether I have to trust my friends ideas...
But I have to wait until I will receive police record from German Embassy...

Last edited by shah.sh2000; Oct 15th 2008 at 4:08 am.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But in general, I would think you'd have to make a statement in order to confess. If you specificially decline to make a statement.... but I guess it depends what the rest of the paper said.
What about DUI situations? If a driver refuses the sobriety test(s) isn't that the same as an admission of guilt in some states? That's my recollection, but I confess my days of studying that are in the misty past.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What about DUI situations? If a driver refuses the sobriety test(s) isn't that the same as an admission of guilt in some states? That's my recollection, but I confess my days of studying that are in the misty past.
I'm not sure. But I don't think it's considered an admission - you'd still go to court as far as I know. I think it's more of an automatic conviction.

I'll have a look and see if I can find any info - I am curious now.

Edit: looked...

It appears that states may automitcally suspend your license, and it is illegal to refuse a breathalyzer. But it doesn't seem to be an automatic DUI

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...athalyzer.html

http://www.totaldui.com/dui_articles...er_refusal.htm

So no, it is not an admission of guilt re. DUI as far as I can tell - but it is something you will be punished for separately.

Last edited by Tracym; Oct 15th 2008 at 5:04 am.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

The German cops were kind men, They did not handcuffed me and I was not fingerprinted....
we just go to Police station then I signed that paper, and because they were in hurry (due to shift change) they suggested me to sign and go...

No I did not pay for those pens and Cops gave them to store staff
Young cop told me that nothing will happen to your visa ...

Today I asked one of my friends who knows law and will become a lawyer soon, he said that:
since German government issued another Schengen visa for you, it looks like that you do not have any criminal problem with Federal Government,
He also said that he knew many others who have been convicted to jail due to Moral turpitude and deported to their home country from Germany and they never could retain their Schengen Visa nor they could obtain it again!

He said that since you have NOT been considered as a risky element to arrive in Germany after six months again, then it can be predicted that there is no record on your file ,and what has been occured is a "Civil matter" between you and that store,
He emphasized that German database of crimes has nothing to do with American Embassies...

I don't know whether I have to trust my friends ideas...
But I have to wait until I will receive police record from German Embassy...
Hi,

It sounds as if perhaps you were just questioned, rather than arrested. I'm just guessing of course, but that might be the case...

If you were neither arrested nor convicted, then I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with a visa.

But like you said, you'll have to see what comes back from the Germans re. the incident.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So no, it is not an admission of guilt re. DUI as far as I can tell - but it is something you will be punished for separately.
Thank you my little googlefu.. I just didn't have the ability this AM.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thank you my little googlefu.. I just didn't have the ability this AM.
No problem - I'd been awake for a while (unfortunately)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Last news:
Based upon German Criminal Register law , petty offenses like "Shoplifting" are not included in Certificate of Good conduct, Although I have to wait to get
my police clearance but it seems that because it's been a petty offense on their image , However I believe I did nothig wrong and if I have no record then I am not a Criminal even though I emphasize that I was not also arrested (Neither handcuffed nor fingerprinted no fine , no jail ,no court , no fee to pay ), ...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

today I've just received my certificate of good conduct and it's Clean!
it seems that no record is included , so what should I do now?
Should I say anything to US officer in consulate about that incident in Germany?
Should I fill "Yes" in DS-156 form?
Please help me!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

today I've just received my certificate of good conduct and it's Clean!
it seems that no record is included , so what should I do now?
Should I say anything to US officer in consulate about that incident in Germany?
Please help me!!!!!!!!!
Hi:

Read your first post. Again, read your first post.

Read the question asked on the DS-156. Again, read your first post.

Now, your question seems to be -- My German police certificate is clean. Should I say anything the Consular Officer about the incident, even if asked? Should I put the correct answer on the DS-156?

I will leave the conclusion to you. As an Iranian you have somewhat of an uphill battle in getting a visa in the first place. Also, I have noted an attitude which might cause problems. [You have still left out some details which cause me to still wonder about what happened.]

Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - you *must* fill in "yes". The question asks, "have you EVER been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime". It doesn't ask whether or not your record is clean. It doesn't ask whether or not the charges were dropped. It asks if you were *EVER* arrested... and you were!

If you are specifically asked about it, you must answer truthfully. If it doesn't come up at an interview, you are not obligated to volunteer any further information. Word of advice here... take the CGC with you.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.