Extending stay under VWP

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:12 am
Just Joined

hejog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending stay under VWP

Hi,
I landed in the USA for a bunch of conferences and mentorship (not being paid or anything) at the end of May (last week) and I have a return flight end of July (~60 days), but it turns out there is an additional meeting I'd love to make mid August.

I'd love to make it, but can't afford to fly out of USA mid July and back mid August - I can however afford to stay in the country.

I don't want to get into any trouble as I intend on occasionally returning to USA in the future under VWP. When the immigration officer asked me how long I was in the USA I told him mid July. If I were to change my return flight back a few weeks - but keep it safely under 90 days (eg: 75/80 days) would that be okay? I don't remember getting any paperwork about how long I can stay in the country, I read online VWP is up to 90 days, but if I told the officer otherwise will I be in trouble when I leave or re-enter USA in the future for over staying?

thanks.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:24 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending stay under VWP

If they gave you 90 days leave to remain in your passport then there shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't exceed the 90 days.

These things happen all the time like when people are taken into hospital whilst on holiday etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:27 am
Just Joined

I have a stamp saying Admitted, and then the date I entered - but there is just a random scribble on the "class until" i literally cannot read it.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:31 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

The standard VWP stamp the last time I got it said 'admitted for 90 days under section....'.

You could always just call USCIS and ask if you're worried.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:40 am
Sidecar Falcon

Maybe read this if you are trying to decipher the scrawl:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/1136369/
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:43 am
Just Joined

thats awesome - thank you. WB, which is correct, I guess. I wonder if I can change my flight and stay a bit longer. he literally asked me for business - pleasure and how long i was staying then stamped passport. will try calling immigration just in case though, thanks again.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:45 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by hejog
thats awesome - thank you. WB, which is correct, I guess. I wonder if I can change my flight and stay a bit longer. he literally asked me for business - pleasure and how long i was staying then stamped passport. will try calling immigration just in case though, thanks again.
They almost always ask that and then give you 90 days anyway unless you have a visa or they have grounds to question you further/refuse you.

It's standard practice and virtually every country I have visited does it that way, otherwise they would need to keep rotating their date stamps for each individual passenger.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:52 am
Sidecar Falcon

This post should answer your question too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...33&postcount=7
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You could always just call USCIS and ask if you're worried.
Just a word of caution... USCIS is not a "customer service" company, and they will not necessarily give correct information. More often than not, they will guess what the correct answer might be.

Ian