ESTA Scam

Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA Scam

Originally Posted by katq
"Phishing sites trick users into disclosing personal or financial information, often by pretending to represent trusted institutions, such as banks."
Thank you for helping to make my point.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

If you remember, there was a famous phishing scam in 2005. An email supposedly from Bank of America which said you needed to update your records and if you clicked on it, sent you to "their" website. I almost fell for it except that...

a) It had been addressed to my Hotmail account which BofA didn't have and
b) The website's http address was 192.168.X.X

I've had a virus from some websites where the AVG free version didn't catch it but the paid version does.

Last edited by Brit3964; Jan 28th 2011 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Firefox (or maybe a plug in I have) flagged certain sections of the site as possibly phishing but noted that in addition to the usual phishing stuff that it could be flagged because it was charging for a service that you generally didn't need to pay for.

However, the site in question does do a few things that the ESTA site doesn't do so you are actually getting something extra from them. It provides historical access to your application should you need it via email pdf and their own database should you delete the email or lose access to it and they also pay the $14 without you getting possibly dinged for currency exchange or rejected by your bank/credit card. I don't know what the UI and instruction is like for the application but it wouldn't take much for it to be a lot better that the official site. Whether that stuff is worth the extra 20 quid it costs is a matter of personal preference. I don't think it is but some may think that it's worth the cost.

It's similar to hiring a lawyer to do a visa application. Everything they do you can do yourself for just the filing fee but some people need or feel the need to have a lawyer assist them through it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:31 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
If you remember, there was a famous phishing scam in 2005. An email supposedly from Bank of America which said you needed to update your records and if you clicked on it, sent you to "their" website. I almost fell for it except that...

a) It had been addressed to my Hotmail account which BofA didn't have and
b) The website's http address was 192.168.X.X

I've had a virus from some websites where the AVG free version didn't catch it but the paid version does.
Famous why? Seems to me, given the details you provide, that it wouldn't have worked...
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Famous why? Seems to me, given the details you provide, that it wouldn't have worked...
Famous in the sense that it made the news. There were a few similar ones that got publicity around the same time.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

OP, did the site ever give you an ESTA confirmation number? If you did you can go to the proper ESTA site and make sure they filled it in correctly.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I'm sure AVG Pro is a fine program... but that doesn't change the fact that the site isn't a scam site regardless of AVG reporting it as a phishing site - which, by the way, it also isn't.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jscl
OP, did the site ever give you an ESTA confirmation number? If you did you can go to the proper ESTA site and make sure they filled it in correctly.
Yes, they did, but I also did it independently, so I am just going to use the one I filled in personally.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm sure AVG Pro is a fine program... but that doesn't change the fact that the site isn't a scam site regardless of AVG reporting it as a phishing site - which, by the way, it also isn't.

Ian
What makes you so sure that you can trust them with your confidential information? This is them again, try ringing the number and see for yourself:

https://www.checkandsend.co.uk/eu/contact.html

Customer service department? They are as dodgy a they can possibly be!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

By the way they now have another paid ad in google: same site, different name: http://www.esta-visa.org/
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

As they actually did what you paid them for, most likely all they're probably going to do (beyond what you hired them to do) is put your contact details in a list and sell it, same as many other sites you'd buy something from might do. I don't think they're likely to do anything malicious, as they want people to continue to use/refer others to their service. I'd stop worrying and just take it as a lesson learned to double check website addresses.

I'm surprised you were able to get an ESTA twice, you'd have thought the real site would have checked for that. Maybe now there's a fee involved they don't care, as long as they get the money .
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katq
What makes you so sure that you can trust them with your confidential information?
I have said - repeatedly - that they are neither a scam site nor a phishing site... and I stand by that assertion. You, and others, are free to determine whether or not you can trust them.

This is them again...
So what? It might interest you to know that Microsoft (yes, that Microsoft) owns 35,450 other domains. Yes... you read that correctly: 35,450 domains. Owning multiple domains (hell, I own 4 myself) isn't proof of any sort that a company is dodgy.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you even make a new product to sell you would automatically buy EVERY relevant combination of the name even if you then redirected them to one place. Its common business practice.

(think MandS.com and www.marksandsparks.com or marksandspencer.co.uk all take you to marksand spencer.com the proper site but they still own those other domains.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
if you even make a new product to sell you would automatically buy EVERY relevant combination of the name even if you then redirected them to one place. Its common business practice.

(think MandS.com and www.marksandsparks.com or marksandspencer.co.uk all take you to marksand spencer.com the proper site but they still own those other domains.
And misspellings thereof. Ever heard of www.gooogle.com?!

Off at a slight tangent, there's the old chestnut of www.penisland.net and www.expertsexchange.com - if you thought those were dirty then you're reading them wrong! (Actually, the latter is a myth - it's www.experts-exchange.com).

Anyway, the OP paid for a service and they got the service they paid for then I don't see the problem. I could go to a travel agent's and buy a plane fare but no, I choose to book direct and get it cheaper, and avoid the middle man.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Just wanted to say that the company did refund me the money after all, so I am really relieved. After the transaction I emailed them to ask them to cancel the service, because I hadn't realised that they were acting as a third party and had overlooked the information. They however didn't reply at the time, and applied on my behalf for esta and took the money. I then sent them another email and they finally replied that they are going to refund me. It has taken ages, but the bank confirmed today that they have received the refund! After all, I think it is fair that you should at least be entitled to cancel the service before they provide it. I did actually expect them to keep the $14 for the esta fee that they paid and I wouldn't have argued that, but apparently they decided to refund the full amount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.