entering US with Re entry permit

Old May 1st 2006, 10:15 pm
  #1  
angloam2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default entering US with Re entry permit

Hi,
Further to my earlier questions, can you advise my position regarding
ReEntry Permits. Your board has advised me earlier that even though I
have a valid Re Entry permit to enter the US after a 4 year absence, I
may be turned back at the POE . If this Happens , can I turn around and
enter the tourist line and at least, enjoy my last holiday in the US on
the vwp without further problems ? I know that I can then only stay as
a tourist but I can a least finalise things stateside
Thanks
 
Old May 2nd 2006, 2:26 am
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by angloam2
Hi,
Further to my earlier questions, can you advise my position regarding
ReEntry Permits. Your board has advised me earlier that even though I
have a valid Re Entry permit to enter the US after a 4 year absence, I
may be turned back at the POE . If this Happens , can I turn around and
enter the tourist line and at least, enjoy my last holiday in the US on
the vwp without further problems ? I know that I can then only stay as
a tourist but I can a least finalise things stateside
Thanks
Logically yes.

But best to have evidence of your non immigrant intent, which could be a bit of a dichotomy in the circumstances.
scrubbedexpat099 is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:31 am
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by angloam2
Hi,
Further to my earlier questions, can you advise my position regarding
ReEntry Permits. Your board has advised me earlier that even though I
have a valid Re Entry permit to enter the US after a 4 year absence, I
may be turned back at the POE . If this Happens , can I turn around and
enter the tourist line and at least, enjoy my last holiday in the US on
the vwp without further problems ? I know that I can then only stay as
a tourist but I can a least finalise things stateside
Thanks
Hi:

People returning with a CLAIM of LPR are, absent a criminal conviction, or security interest, ALWAYS allowed to physically enter -- they are ENTITLED to a removal proceeding before an Immigration Judge. None of this summary removal from the airport.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:45 am
  #4  
Whimsical in the brainpan
 
Elenfair's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 407
Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

People returning with a CLAIM of LPR are, absent a criminal conviction, or security interest, ALWAYS allowed to physically enter -- they are ENTITLED to a removal proceeding before an Immigration Judge. None of this summary removal from the airport.
Heh. Maybe it's because I'm tired, or because I'm fond of "wording" gags, but this entire statement amuses me greatly in that "frying pan versus fire" sort of way.

::: sits by Mr. F. and offers him a glass of lemonade :::

Back to your scheduled actual answers. Don't mind me, I'm just about to enter Hell Week (Tech) for a show
Elenfair is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:32 pm
  #5  
THE Member
 
Seanus's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 374
Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Elenfair
Heh. Maybe it's because I'm tired, or because I'm fond of "wording" gags, but this entire statement amuses me greatly in that "frying pan versus fire" sort of way.

::: sits by Mr. F. and offers him a glass of lemonade :::

Back to your scheduled actual answers. Don't mind me, I'm just about to enter Hell Week (Tech) for a show

LoL. Riddle me this, riddle me that... got any more of that lemonade?
Seanus is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:48 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Elenfair
Heh. Maybe it's because I'm tired, or because I'm fond of "wording" gags, but this entire statement amuses me greatly in that "frying pan versus fire" sort of way.

::: sits by Mr. F. and offers him a glass of lemonade :::

Back to your scheduled actual answers. Don't mind me, I'm just about to enter Hell Week (Tech) for a show
Hi:

I read into the OP that she was concerned about whether or not she would physically allowed out of the airport. Absent some danger or security interest, there is no problem on that line.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:51 pm
  #7  
I'm back!
 
Just Jenney's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 4,316
Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Seanus
LoL. Riddle me this, riddle me that... got any more of that lemonade?
I think what he's saying is that since the OP has a claim to LPR, the POE officials can't put him in removal proceedings, but they can allow the OP to enter so an immigration court can put him in removal proceedings.

Emphasis on the "I think" part!

~ Jenney
Just Jenney is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:53 pm
  #8  
Whimsical in the brainpan
 
Elenfair's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 407
Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I read into the OP that she was concerned about whether or not she would physically allowed out of the airport. Absent some danger or security interest, there is no problem on that line.
Oh, I totally agree with you (I should say I totally defer to your lawyerly knowledge). It was the wording that made me giggle.

Hell Week is kicking my butt, apparently. Have some lemonade!
Elenfair is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:57 pm
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I think what he's saying is that since the OP has a claim to LPR, the POE officials can't put him in removal proceedings, but they can allow the OP to enter so an immigration court can put him in removal proceedings.

Emphasis on the "I think" part!

~ Jenney
Hi:

To clarify "removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge." What the POE people do is a "summary removal" without any "proceedings." [BTW, refusal of admission on a VW application is NOT a "removal" -- go figure].
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:05 pm
  #10  
Whimsical in the brainpan
 
Elenfair's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 407
Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

To clarify "removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge." What the POE people do is a "summary removal" without any "proceedings." [BTW, refusal of admission on a VW application is NOT a "removal" -- go figure].
I guess it's all in the wording, right? If you come in on the VWP, and you're not admitted, then you can't be "removed" since you were never "admitted" in the first place?
Elenfair is offline  
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:20 am
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: entering US with Re entry permit

Originally Posted by Elenfair
I guess it's all in the wording, right? If you come in on the VWP, and you're not admitted, then you can't be "removed" since you were never "admitted" in the first place?
Hi:

No. Before 1997, there was "exclusion" and "deportation" which were later replaced by a unified "removal" process.

If a visa holder is summarily refused admission at the POE, then they are considered "removed" unless they are allowed to "voluntarily" withdraw their application for admission and "agree" to immediately leave.

For a visa waiver person, if they are refused entry, it does NOT count as a "removal" simply because the regulations say so.

Once an alien is admitted, a visa entrant gets a removal hearing before an IJ and if departure under an order of removal, they are considered "removed." The VW entrant does NOT get that hearing and is summarily removed and that IS considered a "removal."

Make sense? Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't write the law.
Folinskyinla is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.