Emigrating with a Step Child

Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:15 am
Just Joined

leeutb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating with a Step Child

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of getting my L1a visa through my work, I am being moved from the UK to Texas.

My wife and step-child will be coming with me. Having spoken to others and my companies representatives, I need to get a letter from my step-childs biological father stating that he is ok for us to take her with us.

He is absolutely fine with it and we started a process with a solicitor close to where he lives to get a letter signed. This has been dragging on for 3 months now and we still don't have a letter. We are at the final stages of complaints with said solicitor before we will be asking for a refund as they have not provided the service we asked for.

My question is, does this have to be a co signed letter from a solicitor, or can he just do one himself? Does anyone have an example letter so I can see exactly what information is provided on said letter?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating with a Step Child

I've never heard of it needing to be signed by a solicitor, but I would imagine that it should be notorized.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above. It probably doesn't even need to be notarized, it just needs the magic language.

As to the statement on the letter, I don't know that there is a pro-forma, it just has to state his relationship to the child (which should be supported by the birth certificate) and that he has no objection to child being removed from UK jurisdiction now or in the future.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

leeutb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for you input. If we don't have any joy before the interview date then I will just get a self signed letter done.

Many thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:48 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeutb
Thank you both for you input. If we don't have any joy before the interview date then I will just get a self signed letter done.

Many thanks
That was all I did to move here with my son. I drafted the letter, his dad signed iti and no-one has ever asked to see it. Really weird.