Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having baby in America

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Giving birth is legal, going over there with the intent to use the birth to get an immigration benefit (i.e. becoming American) on the VWP is definitely illegal...
I disagree. There is nothing illegal about coming to the US to give birth even if the ultimate goal is to get an immigration benefit. For many couples, that may well be their only route to the US - and it is, inherently, not illegal. Time consuming, yes... but not illegal. The only thing that is illegal is coming to the US as a visitor with the intent to stay. Now, that may be what the guy is thinking about... but unless he actually stays and/or lies about his intent to the CBP officer - then I don't see how this would be "definitely illegal".

I think you're giving a kneejerk reaction to what he's posted. I don't much like some of his suggestions either, but we still need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:32 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I disagree. There is nothing illegal about coming to the US to give birth even if the ultimate goal is to get an immigration benefit. For many couples, that may well be their only route to the US - and it is, inherently, not illegal. Time consuming, yes... but not illegal. The only thing that is illegal is coming to the US as a visitor with the intent to stay. Now, that may be what the guy is thinking about... but unless he actually stays and/or lies about his intent to the CBP officer - then I don't see how this would be "definitely illegal".

I think you're giving a kneejerk reaction to what he's posted. I don't much like some of his suggestions either, but we still need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ian
Just out of interest how would someone prove that a person came in or attempted to come in "with the intent to stay" which as has been mentioned several times before is illegal
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
Just out of interest how would someone prove that a person came in or attempted to come in "with the intent to stay" which as has been mentioned several times before is illegal
There doesn't have to be any proof. If the ConOff who does the AOS thinks they had the intent, that's enough. The burden of proof is on the alien to prove they did NOT have the intent, and it's hard to prove a negative.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

I'm confused. On what basis could someone who came to the US to give birth then adjust status?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm confused. On what basis could someone who came to the US to give birth then adjust status?
They can't, unless they overstay 21 years. The thread has gone off-topic. Might be time to close it soon.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They can't, unless they overstay 21 years.
If they try to adjust status, I agree. Or they can all leave the US, wait 21 years, and then return as immediate relatives of a USC.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They can't, unless they overstay 21 years. The thread has gone off-topic. Might be time to close it soon.

Rene
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If they try to adjust status, I agree. Or they can all leave the US, wait 21 years, and then return as immediate relatives of a USC.

Ian
Ironically, in a reasonably well paid occupation such as an electrician, he could probably, if determined, save enough to immigrate as an investor in less than 21 years!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonboy5
Not trying to just have a try at living in America, one of my previous work colleagues has his own successful electrical firm over there, and wants me to help run it for him, me and my wife want to start a family over there and willing to give back to America and not just take! It's a better way of life than in the uk, fed up with everything the uk has to offer and would just love a chance! We have some money but more like £20,000 not £100,000 or more that is being asked for
You mention it being a better way of life but honestly, life here is hard a lot of the time if you're not rolling in it. Sure the sun shines more but that comes with the threat of hurricanes etc, Florida has one of the worst reputations for education, and to be honest if you're trying to get away from immigrants Florida isn't the place to do it.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
You mention it being a better way of life but honestly, life here is hard a lot of the time if you're not rolling in it. Sure the sun shines more but that comes with the threat of hurricanes etc, Florida has one of the worst reputations for education, and to be honest if you're trying to get away from immigrants Florida isn't the place to do it.
Nor get away from senseless violence, major drug related problems, appaling driving standards (incl drunk driving), nor immigrants (often illegal) underming/ undercutting local labour (esp in construction trades).
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Doubledave is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon - first off the UK isn't bad at all!! It's a bloody good Country! If you came over here you would see that both countries have their good and bad points. I love them both - but neither is better than the other.
I suggest you Google:
*Health insurance costs for you, your wife and your kids ($1500 a month + for good cover similar to the NHS)
*Property taxes (considerably more than in the UK).
*Property prices.
*Laws - you may find some of them a shock, an un-nerving for bringing a kid up in if you can't afford to live in a good area, or a cash-rich state (I'm talking mainly of the stand your ground laws and the freedom to own a gun - you're not just dealing with chavvy teenagers here and the occasional knife)

Options:
Move somewhere else in the UK? You might like it?
What about Australia? Lovely place - great living, and they are screaming out for qualified sparks?

Last edited by Doubledave; Oct 19th 2013 at 12:03 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:53 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's also excellent, and Canadian citizens have somewhat relaxed restrictions when it comes to visiting or getting a visa to work in the US. I understand. My boss is Canadian and visits - for work - on average one week a month with no hassle. My old boss, who lives in Aberdeen, was eventually challenged at the border when he tried to do the same. As a permanent Canadian resident, you would still fall under the rules for the UK until you naturalize, which would take at least four years from the time you entered Canada, but you would be closer if you needed to fly in now and then, and what with teleconferencing and the like, perhaps you could still be of use to your friend. Just an idea.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure how much you could do in Florida anyway without qualifying.

My vote would be to go the same route as your friend, obviously quite a few things have to happen first.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
...... My vote would be to go the same route as your friend, obviously quite a few things have to happen first.
I have a hunch that Mrs Jonboy5 might have some issues with your recommendation!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2013 at 3:22 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Doubledave
Jon - first off the UK isn't bad at all!! It's a bloody good Country! If you came over here you would see that both countries have their good and bad points. I love them both - but neither is better than the other.
I suggest you Google:
*Health insurance costs for you, your wife and your kids ($1500 a month + for good cover similar to the NHS)
*Property taxes (considerably more than in the UK).
*Property prices.
*Laws - you may find some of them a shock, ....
I am confused, what do you mean by "property prices"? It appears that the others you all see as potential negatives, but most property prices across most of the US are less, often a lot less than in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2013 at 4:04 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have a hunch that Mrs Jonboy5 might have some issues with your recommendation!
Her Nationality has not been mentioned but certainly if not the right one that would be the first step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.