EAD in Santa Ana, CA

Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:20 am
Mara

Default EAD in Santa Ana, CA

Anyone here have recent experienced filing EAD And AP in santa ana in person?

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Harley Baldwin

Default Re: EAD in Santa Ana, CA

I just filed AOS for my wife (she came to the USA on a K-1)in person at Santa Ana,
but after waiting for about one hour, we had an INS Agent look over our paperwork and
tell us " We only take mail applications".So, we wetn across the street and sent via
US Certified mail, return receipt.

However, EAD / AP can be applied for in person--Since we didn't plan to have her
start work for a few months, we were advised NOT to file for EAD at the same
time. And as we weren't planning on leaving the USA for while, the Agent also (
wisely) suggested we save our $$ until we actually NEED to apply for AP. She said
as long as we have SOME form of proof of filing for AOS then we could get AP
within 3 days or less.

So, instead of filing multiple forms simultaneously, we decided to file just AOS
(I-485), and related documents. We live 20 minutes away from the Office, so it wasn't
a major issue to return again...

One mistake that THEY made: They claimed I needed to fill out an I-130 along with the
I-485, which I did and submitted along with the additional fee ($130)in a separate
check from the other fees. I KNEW in my heart that K-1's didn't have to file I-130's,
but I foolishly did so.

Imagine my surprise when I received a short note 10 days later from Santa Ana INS
Offices explaining that I didn't need to file an I-130 for a K-1 ( DUH!!!), and they
returned the check to me! Not bad service for INS!!!

As for EAD, I'm not sure of the time frame involved, but I would think that as long
as you have some proof of filing for AOS, you could get your EAD fairly soon, if not
immediately.

One thing, try to get there at LEAST 30 minutes before they open--a line forms
outside the building EARLY! Hope that helps. HB

Mara wrote:

> Anyone here have recent experienced filing EAD And AP in santa ana in person?

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 12:20 pm
Peggy Snow

I am wondering about the jurisdiction lines for the Santa Ana office. We will likely
be living around the Corona/Riverside area, but the Santa Ana office looks to be
quicker than either San Diego or L.A. offices. I have kids (living with my ex) in
Anaheim, and I will also be going to school in Santa Ana, but I am unsure if that
would allow us to file AOS there. Do you know what the boundary lines for Santa Ana
are? Thanks!

"Harley Baldwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I just filed AOS for my wife (she came to the USA on a K-1)in person at Santa Ana,
    > but after waiting for about one hour, we had an INS Agent look over our paperwork
    > and tell us " We only take mail applications".So, we wetn across the street and
    > sent via US Certified mail, return receipt.
    >
    > However, EAD / AP can be applied for in person--Since we didn't plan to have her
    > start work for a few months, we were advised NOT to file for EAD at the same time.
    > And as we weren't planning on leaving the USA for while, the Agent also ( wisely)
    > suggested we save our $$ until we actually NEED to apply for AP. She said as long
    > as we have SOME form of proof of filing for AOS then we could get AP within 3 days
    > or less.
    >
    > So, instead of filing multiple forms simultaneously, we decided to file just AOS
    > (I-485), and related documents. We live 20 minutes away from the Office, so it
    > wasn't a major issue to return again...
    >
    > One mistake that THEY made: They claimed I needed to fill out an I-130 along with
    > the I-485, which I did and submitted along with the additional fee ($130)in a
    > separate check from the other fees. I KNEW in my heart that K-1's didn't have to
    > file I-130's, but I foolishly did so.
    >
    > Imagine my surprise when I received a short note 10 days later from Santa Ana INS
    > Offices explaining that I didn't need to file an I-130 for a K-1 ( DUH!!!), and
    > they returned the check to me! Not bad service for INS!!!
    >
    > As for EAD, I'm not sure of the time frame involved, but I would think that as long
    > as you have some proof of filing for AOS, you could get your EAD fairly soon, if
    > not immediately.
    >
    > One thing, try to get there at LEAST 30 minutes before they open--a line forms
    > outside the building EARLY! Hope that helps. HB
    >
    > Mara wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone here have recent experienced filing EAD And AP in santa ana in
person?

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:02 pm
Kathkikbut

Orange county is the boundry Katherine

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 4:20 am
Mara

Thanks Harley for the very detailed and informative answer. If we reach there by past
7am, would we still be entertained? Thank you for your reply. Mara.

Harley Baldwin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just filed AOS for my wife (she came to the USA on a K-1)in person at Santa Ana,
    > but after waiting for about one hour, we had an INS Agent look over our paperwork
    > and tell us " We only take mail applications".So, we wetn across the street and
    > sent via US Certified mail, return receipt.
    >
    > However, EAD / AP can be applied for in person--Since we didn't plan to have her
    > start work for a few months, we were advised NOT to file for EAD at the same time.
    > And as we weren't planning on leaving the USA for while, the Agent also ( wisely)
    > suggested we save our $$ until we actually NEED to apply for AP. She said as long
    > as we have SOME form of proof of filing for AOS then we could get AP within 3 days
    > or less.
    >
    > So, instead of filing multiple forms simultaneously, we decided to file just AOS
    > (I-485), and related documents. We live 20 minutes away from the Office, so it
    > wasn't a major issue to return again...
    >
    > One mistake that THEY made: They claimed I needed to fill out an I-130 along with
    > the I-485, which I did and submitted along with the additional fee ($130)in a
    > separate check from the other fees. I KNEW in my heart that K-1's didn't have to
    > file I-130's, but I foolishly did so.
    >
    > Imagine my surprise when I received a short note 10 days later from Santa Ana INS
    > Offices explaining that I didn't need to file an I-130 for a K-1 ( DUH!!!), and
    > they returned the check to me! Not bad service for INS!!!
    >
    > As for EAD, I'm not sure of the time frame involved, but I would think that as long
    > as you have some proof of filing for AOS, you could get your EAD fairly soon, if
    > not immediately.
    >
    > One thing, try to get there at LEAST 30 minutes before they open--a line forms
    > outside the building EARLY! Hope that helps. HB
    >
    > Mara wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone here have recent experienced filing EAD And AP in santa ana in person?

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 5:20 am
Harley Baldwin

Hi Mara, Glad I could be of some help. Actually, I think an 8 AM arrival should be
OK, especially if it's NOT on Monday or Friday. Middle of the week is usually better,
but sometimes you never know...

Since you'll be waiting outside of the building for a while, bring a warm jacket and
some reading material....

There's two hour free parking directly across from the building, or you'll have to
feed the meters... Just remember that INS does NOT necessarily know ALL the rules/
answers, so try to have MORe info. than you might normally need...

Best of luck, Harley Mara wrote:

> Thanks Harley for the very detailed and informative answer. If we reach there by
    > past 7am, would we still be entertained? Thank you for your reply. Mara.
    >
    >
    > Harley Baldwin <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I just filed AOS for my wife (she came to the USA on a K-1)in person at Santa Ana,
    >>but after waiting for about one hour, we had an INS Agent look over our paperwork
    >>and tell us " We only take mail applications".So, we wetn across the street and
    >>sent via US Certified mail, return receipt.
    >>
    >>However, EAD / AP can be applied for in person--Since we didn't plan to have her
    >>start work for a few months, we were advised NOT to file for EAD at the same time.
    >>And as we weren't planning on leaving the USA for while, the Agent also ( wisely)
    >>suggested we save our $$ until we actually NEED to apply for AP. She said as long
    >>as we have SOME form of proof of filing for AOS then we could get AP within 3 days
    >>or less.
    >>
    >>So, instead of filing multiple forms simultaneously, we decided to file just AOS
    >>(I-485), and related documents. We live 20 minutes away from the Office, so it
    >>wasn't a major issue to return again...
    >>
    >>One mistake that THEY made: They claimed I needed to fill out an I-130 along with
    >>the I-485, which I did and submitted along with the additional fee ($130)in a
    >>separate check from the other fees. I KNEW in my heart that K-1's didn't have to
    >>file I-130's, but I foolishly did so.
    >>
    >>Imagine my surprise when I received a short note 10 days later from Santa Ana INS
    >>Offices explaining that I didn't need to file an I-130 for a K-1 ( DUH!!!), and
    >>they returned the check to me! Not bad service for INS!!!
    >>
    >>As for EAD, I'm not sure of the time frame involved, but I would think that as long
    >>as you have some proof of filing for AOS, you could get your EAD fairly soon, if
    >>not immediately.
    >>
    >>One thing, try to get there at LEAST 30 minutes before they open--a line forms
    >>outside the building EARLY! Hope that helps. HB
    >>
    >>Mara wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Anyone here have recent experienced filing EAD And AP in santa ana in person?
    >>>
    >