Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E3 extension within the states: time needed

E3 extension within the states: time needed

Old May 20th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

ReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: E3 extension within the states: time needed

Hi Jobag, I posted a response to your post, but it said it was flagged for review by a moderator (not sure why). Just wanted to let you know to look out for it. Hopefully it'll be approved soon...
Old May 20th 2009, 7:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReneeNYC
Hi Jobag, I posted a response to your post, but it said it was flagged for review by a moderator (not sure why). Just wanted to let you know to look out for it. Hopefully it'll be approved soon...
Because you posted a link; new members need a few posts in first.
ola kala now.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the rough

Okay thanks for the clarification.

As a follow up to this thread, wanted to post the response from the Sydney US consulate. They got back to me within a week:

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you have not received approval of your extension by the expiry of your visa you are required to cease working immediately and leave the U.S. within 10 days. Once you have left the U.S. you will need to apply for a new visa, for which you will need your new approved LCA.

Regards,
AMVISA, Sydney
(JH)
Obviously though, my lawyer disagrees with this, and the microsoft internal lawyers do too (per a post earlier in this thread).

But wanted to post the response anyway. I guess if people want to be conservative/safe they need to file for E3 extensions internally quite a bit in advance. And if your lawyer says it's not the case, ask them to supply you with the citations from the official website so you can present that when needed....
Old May 27th 2009, 5:59 am
Banned

bfittler is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow your "extension" took six months? Was that recently? I saw on these forums that someone else received their extension approval within 3 weeks.

Do you mind if I ask who your law firm is? I don't know why the lawfirm my company uses (a self declared "immigrationi powerhouse" on their website) is not in sync with your lawyer on the view that I can work while an "extension" is in progress.

Thank you so much for the response. Your situation is indeed very similar.
I changed employer and the first one came within 3 days and the next one took 4 months.I still have visa label valid with an old employer.
Old May 27th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if people want to be conservative/safe they need to file for E3 extensions internally quite a bit in advance. And if your lawyer says it's not the case, ask them to supply you with the citations from the official website so you can present that when needed....
No point wasting your breath trying to point out USCIS' own website if you get in trouble here - they do whatever they want, whenever they want.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

jobag is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know the process as done by me. I didn't use a lawyer, but filled out the form and sent all the stuff in pretty much by myself, with the assistance and signatures of the people who were hiring me.
I sent in my stuff on the 13th May, and received notification that my case had been put on hold. When I went to the USCIS website to check the update of my case it stated that it had been put on hold.
I sent in the stuff that USCIS said they needed and it reached Vermont on
23rd May. They did give me a month to get all the stuff I needed, but I had it all, and sent it immediately.
I kept checking the USCIS website to see if my visa was being processed, but nothing changed.
On the 15th June, the HR person for our county called and said that they had received my extension. So the process went really quickly, less than a month after I sent the evidence that they required.
BTW after I received my paper with the extension I checked the USCIS website to see if it had been updated. Nope! It's still not updated even now, so if you're hoping that it will help you with a timeline, forget it.
I'll get a visa in my passport when I go home next year, but at least now I'm all legal again.
Thanks for all the input from the members here. If anyone is going through this process and has any questions, I'm happy to help.
Cheers