E2 Visa -with Criminal Conviction

Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:05 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default E2 Visa -with Criminal Conviction

Much appreciate any help /advice for a friend on the following issue as I have limited knowledge in this area. Just want to make sure the advice I have given is not a 100 miles off the mark

Background
Successful businessman in UK ( own company) now looking to develop business in the USA. Has start up capital, but just short of the minimum $500,000 for E5, hence looking at E2, either purchase existing business or start up.

1999 was convicted and sentenced to 18 months for fraud in UK, other than that clean record.

My advice
Because of the complexities of an E2 application he should consult with
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
He would also be required to apply for a 212(d) waiver to overcome his ineligibility.

Questions
1 ) He would need to visit the US to scout the business. He would therefore require a B2 visa - which would require a 212(d) waiver correct?
2 ) Assuming he got the B2 ( with said waiver) would that waiver also 'take care' of the entry ineligibilities for the E2 OR would he need a separate waiver specifically for the E2?
3 ) Again assuming he was allowed entry on a B2 is there any option for him to initiate the E2 process in the US? If so any recommendations for US law firm that specializes in this area ?
4 ) Would the 212 (d) waiver that he would require for the criminal conviction also encompass 'forgiveness' for a VWP entry he made ( 2 week holiday) 3 years ago ?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can offer
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 Visa -with Criminal Conviction

Originally Posted by Songbird

1999 was convicted and sentenced to 18 months for fraud in UK, other than that clean record.
Hi:

He is talking about investing 1/2 million dollars, he can afford some legal advice from an attorney. Your posting raises more questions than you set forth and even if paid -- I could not give truly accurate answers with confidence based solely on your posting.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird

My advice
Because of the complexities of an E2 application he should consult with
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Go see Kehrela for advice ......
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:46 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

He is talking about investing 1/2 million dollars, he can afford some legal advice from an attorney. Your posting raises more questions than you set forth and even if paid -- I could not give truly accurate answers with confidence based solely on your posting.
Originally Posted by Ray
Go see Kehrela for advice ......
K thanks for the input - I will direct him forthwith to Kehrela