Remove DHS stamp from SSN card Q

Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Remove DHS stamp from SSN card Q

Ok, ok, so I've lost the membership in the AR club since my OH still has his 'Valid with DHS authorization only' stamp on his SSN card. Our only excuse is that they always close before we get off work and aren't open on weekends.

Anyways, I assume that to have this stamp removed from his card, that all he needs to do is fill out the SS-5 form again, and go into the office with the form and his Green Card? I was reading the SS-5 instructions, and it wasn't overly obvious what docs were required. He'll be a citizen soon though (if they ever get around to sending his oath ceremony date - it's been 10 weeks already!) so would it make any diff if we waited until he is a citizen to update his card?

TIA!
~Jamie
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remove DHS stamp from SSN card Q

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Anyways, I assume that to have this stamp removed from his card, that all he needs to do is fill out the SS-5 form again, and go into the office with the form and his Green Card?
That's correct, that's what we did. Actually, he doesn't need to do it himself, you can go in person for him and show the documents. So if one of you happens to be off work or can take off, either one of you can update his status with SS. You just need to show his original documents and give them his original signed SS-5 form.

I was reading the SS-5 instructions, and it wasn't overly obvious what docs were required. He'll be a citizen soon though (if they ever get around to sending his oath ceremony date - it's been 10 weeks already!) so would it make any diff if we waited until he is a citizen to update his card
It won't make any difference, unless he is intending to use his SSN to get a new job, then it's better to have the SS card w/o the legend.

Welcome back to the AR club! LOL

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just decide if you want to make two trips or one. You have to go to the SSA to have his files updated to that of a USC and for that he needs to bring his original naturalization certificate.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just decide if you want to make two trips or one. You have to go to the SSA to have his files updated to that of a USC and for that he needs to bring his original naturalization certificate.
I did see that written somewhere. What purpose does it serve for the SSA to know he is a citizen (advantages/disadvantages)? Is there any time-sensitivity to notifying them of the change? hmmm.. I wonder if that can be done by mail if we just send them yet another SS-5 form and his original natz. cert? Would they return the natz. cert?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I did see that written somewhere. What purpose does it serve for the SSA to know he is a citizen (advantages/disadvantages)? Is there any time-sensitivity to notifying them of the change? hmmm.. I wonder if that can be done by mail if we just send them yet another SS-5 form and his original natz. cert? Would they return the natz. cert?
Perhaps as a USC, he is entitled to some of the social security benefits that he wouldn't be as a PR, so SS would need to have his correct status in the system if he ever tries to get SS benefits....?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You just drop by in person after the oath ceremony; bring the certificate.

As Rene suggests, upgrading to citizen affords you additional SSA benefits that PRs don't get. I'm sure they're all listed at ssa.gov.
laaaaaazy me.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
As Rene suggests, upgrading to citizen affords you additional SSA benefits that PRs don't get. I'm sure they're all listed at ssa.gov.
laaaaaazy me.
No, no..don't do research that I can do. I honestly didn't know there was any advantage. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:00 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's correct, that's what we did. Actually, he doesn't need to do it himself, you can go in person for him and show the documents. So if one of you happens to be off work or can take off, either one of you can update his status with SS. You just need to show his original documents and give them his original signed SS-5 form.
Now there's an interesting conundrum - they'll allow someone to do this with another person's green card and yet it is technically illegal for the owner of that green card to not have it with them?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by neil
Now there's an interesting conundrum - they'll allow someone to do this with another person's green card and yet it is technically illegal for the owner of that green card to not have it with them?
I know, huh. LOL Go figure.