Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 Visa, Company being sold. How will this affect me?

E2 Visa, Company being sold. How will this affect me?

Old Sep 8th 2020, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Lammy74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Visa, Company being sold. How will this affect me?

Hi All,

I have just found out that the holding company in the UK of the US entity I work for, on an E2 Visa, is going to be sold lock stock and barrel to a US Investment company.

Reading up on what I can online: it would seem that my E2 Visa would no longer be valid.

Can anyone confirm or deny this fact and let me know what I can do to protect my position here? My green card application has started but I understand this may be reset too as technically it's a different company sponsoring me.

Many thanks for your time and sharing similar experiences in advance.

Last edited by Lammy74; Sep 8th 2020 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Change some wording
Old Sep 8th 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa, Company being sold. How will this affect me?

Consult with competent employment based immigration counsel. All deliberate speed is in order.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Per S Folinsky above, the answers to your questions will be critically dependent on the precise details of your circumstances, how the deal to acquire your employer is structured, and what your employer wants, which might be different from what you want. Even in the "best case" scenario you might find that your right to work is suspended for a period of time, so you could find yourself without income.

I would add to S Folinsky's post, that you should consult an immigration lawyer at your own expense, not rely on advice from your employer and/or your employer's (immigration) lawyer, because they are not necessarily working in your best interests.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Prima facile that would be the effect. Just be aware that you may have reporting obligations to USCIS if there is a change of ownership in your sponsoring company. I can’t recall if this is the company’s obligations or yours.

Actually I might be thinking of E1 here.

Last edited by LegalEagleTX; Sep 9th 2020 at 3:24 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Consult with competent employment based immigration counsel. All deliberate speed is in order.
When in doubt
Old Sep 10th 2020, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Agree a lawyer is what you need here as there may well be aspects to this deal that change things, and you'd also hope your employer has thought about this...but yeah the E-2 employer needs to be majority owned by a citizen from the originating nation. We looked into changing our ownership over to a USC to help our business finance options but the E-2 requirements put a stop to that.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 1:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Agree a lawyer is what you need here as there may well be aspects to this deal that change things, and you'd also hope your employer has thought about this...but yeah the E-2 employer needs to be majority owned by a citizen from the originating nation. We looked into changing our ownership over to a USC to help our business finance options but the E-2 requirements put a stop to that.
A slight bit to note: 50% does the trick. There may be other permutations that might work. Back in the day when majority was the rule, a 50/50 joint venture between Toyota and GM qualified by Toyota's purchase of a 100 shares of GM common stock.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A slight bit to note: 50% does the trick. There may be other permutations that might work. Back in the day when majority was the rule, a 50/50 joint venture between Toyota and GM qualified by Toyota's purchase of a 100 shares of GM common stock.
I suspect that there may be a difference between 50% by value of the investment and 50% of voting rights.

Usually companies are set up with voting rights/ control being directly proportional to capital invested, but that does not necessarily need to be the case.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right, I had thought it was majority. That (privately) tells me something very interesting about my employer and the path we were originally exploring!