E2 Financials

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 Financials

Thanks for the good advice Craig. I have instructed my bookeeper to prepare a consolidated balance sheet for the holding company.

With regards to marginality I am referring to the fact that mine is a real estate trading firm and I have to demonstrate that it is not a passive income-producing investment.

I am going for the London Embassy so we'll see how it goes.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E2Brutus
Thanks for the good advice Craig. I have instructed my bookeeper to prepare a consolidated balance sheet for the holding company.

With regards to marginality I am referring to the fact that mine is a real estate trading firm and I have to demonstrate that it is not a passive income-producing investment.

FWIW, it is customary to address people by their first, not middle names. Of course, "Mr. Fong" would have been just fine.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Property management companies can have a hard time getting an E2.

Still not sure what the capital will be invested in.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, it is customary to address people by their first, not middle names. Of course, "Mr. Fong" would have been just fine.
Actually, that is not always the rule in the UK. I use a first initial and have never been known by anything other than my middle name since birth. It has always been a problem here when forms insist on "first name" "middle initial." I have just returned from a doctor's visit, where I always have to remember that they will call my first name -- if I don't use it, the insurance company denies my claim. So it is understandable that a Brit might think that Mr. Fong goes by first initial, middle name, and is addressed by the middle name.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, that is not always the rule in the UK. I use a first initial and have never been known by anything other than my middle name since birth. It has always been a problem here when forms insist on "first name" "middle initial." I have just returned from a doctor's visit, where I always have to remember that they will call my first name -- if I don't use it, the insurance company denies my claim. So it is understandable that a Brit might think that Mr. Fong goes by first initial, middle name, and is addressed by the middle name.
No problem -- in the US, people often use their first initial to indicate they want to be called by their middle name.

For example, John Quentin Smith will be called John and J. Quentin Smith will be called Quentin. However, if a person chooses to spell out their name in full, they will be called by their first name: John Quentin Smith will not be called Quentin.

This is an interesting discussion.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

F. Scott Fitzgerald and W. Somerset Maugham

Scott and Somerset
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

Barak Hussein Obama?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Commentator

F. Scott Fitzgerald and W. Somerset Maugham

Scott and Somerset
Precisely. However, lets say that Fitzgerald had used his full name of Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald -- he would have been known as Francis rather than Scott. From what I understand, he was called "Scott" as a kid, hence F. Scott. An old school chum was named "Donald Lachlan" and was never called Donald. He too had a hell of a time using an initial as his first name.

Mention of Fitzgerald also reminds me that things can get a tad weird when a person is usually identified by a nickname. Fitzgerald had a brother-in-law named Clifton Albert Frederick Sprague -- I've seen his name formally given as Clifton A.F. Sprague. However, he was called "Ziggy."

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 24th 2010 at 3:37 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Boiler
Barak Hussein Obama?
This reminds me of when people often use a different variation of their name -- e.g. John Kennedy and Jack Kennedy. One of the extreme cases in my mind is William Jefferson Clinton -- I daresay many people will not make the quick mental connection with Bill Clinton.

I often refer to the President with an affectionate "Barry O." He didn't use his Hebrew first name until adulthood. My late brother was named Barry and I remember popular reference to "Jackie O" after her remarriage.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

The UK media called her Jackie O.

Wonder if GW/George W will ever be referred to affectionately, hard to concieve now.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if GW/George W will ever be referred to affectionately, hard to concieve now.
He's commonly known as "Dubya"... very commonly.

Ian
Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Commentator

The UK media called her Jackie O.

Why is hard to conceive -- George Washington is greatly honored and revered.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He's commonly known as "Dubya"... very commonly.

Ian
Affectionately!

Perhaps I am listening to the wrong sources, but that was never seemed to be affectionate, certainly not when I used it.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:55 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I see.

The marginality issue is really related to whether you have invested enough money to make a viable business, given your business plan and model. Certainly, your consolidated balance sheet will help, but because your investments are in TWO separate businesses, you may have a bit of trouble, because you're going to have to demonstrate the viability/marginality question for BOTH businesses. At least, that's how I see it. I can imagine a number of ways around doing it this way, but as you are representing yourself, I am certain that you feel confident about your approach.

I suggest, however, that you focus on the requirement that you 'direct and develop" the business. This will allay any concerns that may arise about the "passive" nature of a real estate investment.

Best of luck.

--J