E1 Granted next steps

Old Oct 16th 2018, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E1 Granted next steps

Trying to help my boss out

He just entered the US on an E1 Visa and his wife flies in tomorrow. It would be fair to say he isnt fully aware of what next, but his main issue is his wife would like to work asap.
I have tried a search on this forum, but at the same time have consumed a bit too much red wine

I'm asumming he will get a SSN, but he says he didnt give an address for them to send any documentation to ! Same fos his wife ?

What steps will his wife need to take and realistically how long will it take before she gets the all clear to work ?

This isnt life or death, they are not going to go under if she doesnt work, more like she doesnt want to be sat at home. As they say Happy Boss Happy Life - for me

Amy feedback appreciated.

Jonathan
Old Oct 16th 2018, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E1 Granted next steps

They may file for an EAD, takes say 4-6 months currently. I-765.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Boiler is right, the wife will have to apply for an EAD before she can work using form I-765. On that form, she can check a box to have a SSN issued at the same time (my partner did the same and it was very convenient).

Boss will have to goto a social security office to get his SSN issued. Advise he waits a week or two after arrival to ensure he's in the system (also go on the i94 website to check his i94 was issued correctly - they mess it up surprisingly frequently, and this will create a problem with his SSN application if they cannot verify his presence in the US with USCIS).

I did not wait, and went a day or two after arrival, and my SSN took nearly 3 months to arrive. Upon speaking to Social Security, they confirmed that I wasn't in the system so they had to file a manual verification request with USCIS which takes a much longer period of time rather than the standard electronic verification which gets you a SSN very quickly.

Wife could be in for 4-6 months as EAD issuance is really backlogged. However, someone just posted that they got theirs in 99 days. My partner got hers in about 120 days earlier this year. Only advice there is to get that i-765 filed as soon as she can. I believe you need to write a cheque to USCIS so they'll ideally have a US bank account set up already. Chase are now very difficult to get a bank account with as a new arrival, so probably best served by BOA or Wells Fargo, as awful as they are, unless they have an international banking set up already which given the visa, they may well do.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 9:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Can always send a postal money order.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone