Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

merryfool86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

your SSN is for life if i'm not mistaken. new job does not mean new social
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutsmut
1. New employer files and gets LCA approved
2. You give notice
I seriously suggest you don't give notice until the new employer gets LCA approval... otherwise you might find yourself out of a job and forced to leave the US.

Is it ok for new employer to file and gets LCA approved while I'm still employed with current employer?
Yes - in fact, that's a fairly common scenario.

The other thing is what happen to my SSN ? do I have to apply again after I got my new e3 visa?
Nothing happens to your SSN... merryfool86 is correct - your SSN is for life.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:03 am
Just Joined

burge92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys just a few quick questions.

My fiancee is currently over in New York at the moment on a J1 Visa as she was offered an extremely good entry level job in her field of specialty mid-late last year. If all works out they are planning on putting her on a E3 Visa when her J1 visa runs out which would be the start of December. Due to work commitments which will be wrapping up late august I plan to go over there to be with her in September for 3 months on the standard tourist visa. We are getting married in September as a few of our mates from Australia will also be there at that time as well.

My Questions are :

1. Will I have to leave the US to apply for my E3-D visa once she gets her E3 (My understanding I will have to go back to AUS to get it)
2. How long will the time take for her to get her E3 Visa
3. How long will it take to get my e3-D visa if I have to go back to AUS, It would be handy to be able to book a return flight back to the US in advance.
4. Lastly will a New York marriage certificate be accepted in Australia as proof of marriage (From My understanding it will)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burge92
I plan to go over there to be with her in September for 3 months on the standard tourist visa.
If, by "standard tourist visa", you mean the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)... there is no visa... and travel is valid for 90 days, not 3 months.

1. Will I have to leave the US to apply for my E3-D visa once she gets her E3 (My understanding I will have to go back to AUS to get it)
You don't have to go back to Australia, but you will need to leave the US, yes. You can't change status from within the US when you're on the VWP.

2. How long will the time take for her to get her E3 Visa
How long is a piece of string? Why, though, would the company wait until her J-1 is nearly expired before they start the process? They can submit the E-3 paperwork whenever they want. I'm assuming she doesn't have the 2-year HRR attached to her J-1.

3. How long will it take to get my e3-D visa if I have to go back to AUS, It would be handy to be able to book a return flight back to the US in advance.
You will need proof of her valid E-3 visa and a copy of your marriage certificate. It'll only take a few minutes to get the visa, but you may need to wait a week or so for an appointment - and then it'll take another few days to get your passport back to you.

4. Lastly will a New York marriage certificate be accepted in Australia as proof of marriage...
Yes - but why would you care if Australia accepts it? Regardless of where you interview, you're going to be dealing with US immigration... if you see what I mean!

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

mutsmut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I seriously suggest you don't give notice until the new employer gets LCA approval... otherwise you might find yourself out of a job and forced to leave the US.

Yes - in fact, that's a fairly common scenario.

Nothing happens to your SSN... merryfool86 is correct - your SSN is for life.

Ian
Thank you ...
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:13 am
Just Joined

You don't have to go back to Australia, but you will need to leave the US, yes. You can't change status from within the US when you're on the VWP.
Ok what other countries can go to to complete this process? Canada I'm assuming? Would it take longer to get my dependent visa in a country other then Australia or would it take the same amount of time?
How long is a piece of string? Why, though, would the company wait until her J-1 is nearly expired before they start the process? They can submit the E-3 paperwork whenever they want. I'm assuming she doesn't have the 2-year HRR attached to her J-1.
Yeah good point. I think they will start the process midyear hopefully! I think they are holding off on it at the moment just to see if its a good fit or not really...
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Ok what other countries can go to to complete this process?
Any country that will accept a TPN (third party national) application.

Canada I'm assuming?
Although no country is obligated to accept a TPN application, a number of people have successfully used Canada, yes.

Would it take longer to get my dependent visa in a country other then Australia or would it take the same amount of time?
The process would be the same, so the amount of time would be similar.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Although no country is obligated to accept a TPN application, a number of people have successfully used Canada, yes.
So I would have to go to a US consulate in canada then? Is there anywhere I could get more info on this?
The process would be the same, so the amount of time would be similar.

Ian
Ok no worries then I take it that the process to get a dependent visa is a lot quicker then getting the actual E3 visa processed?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

So I would have to go to a US consulate in canada then? Is there anywhere I could get more info on this?
Yes - and if you think about it, the answer will come to you.

I take it that the process to get a dependent visa is a lot quicker then getting the actual E3 visa processed?
Usually, yes.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
i have my E3 until end of may 2014. i am planning to get it extended with in the USA itself. i am still with the same employer.
is there any one who got it extended from inside USA? what's the process to get it extended from inside the us?
do i need to apply for a new LCA?
what forms should my employer be submitting to the USCIS?
how much is it going to cost?
i am planning to apply for extension in mid February so that i can continue working until my current visa expires and hopefully by the time it expires my visa extension process will be done???
and my wife has E3D and how do i extend her visa with mine at the same time i apply for extension?

please let me know if you extended it inside the usa??

thanks heaps in advance
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

merryfool86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msgd
Hi all,
i have my E3 until end of may 2014. i am planning to get it extended with in the USA itself. i am still with the same employer.
is there any one who got it extended from inside USA? what's the process to get it extended from inside the us?
do i need to apply for a new LCA?
what forms should my employer be submitting to the USCIS?
how much is it going to cost?
i am planning to apply for extension in mid February so that i can continue working until my current visa expires and hopefully by the time it expires my visa extension process will be done???
and my wife has E3D and how do i extend her visa with mine at the same time i apply for extension?

please let me know if you extended it inside the usa??

thanks heaps in advance
you can extend it within the US, but your employer would have to file an additional form Form I-129 (which has another fee) as well as the LCA (which they have to do anyway). It also takes a long time to do so I'm willing to bet if you file it in Feb and your visa expires in May, it won't be done in time-given USCIS's speed in processing anything.

why are you not willing to renew your visa (and your spouses) in canada? it's a short trip away and you get your passport back in the next couple of days. Filing for an extension for both you and your partner seems needlessly risky

there's also the fact that if you do somehow succeed in getting an extension, and you want to leave the country later to travel, you can't come back in until you visit another consulate and get another visa. so you pretty much have to do the same thing as a renewal in the end
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=merryfool86;11082080]

why are you not willing to renew your visa (and your spouses) in canada? it's a short trip away and you get your passport back in the next couple of days. Filing for an extension for both you and your partner seems needlessly risky

The reason i am not willing to renew it in canada is that what if it doesn't get approved and and i can't come back into the usa! if i extend it within the us at least i would know what to do with all my commitments like rent contract and etc etc. besides i am not planning to leave the country for next 2 years so i don't see a point in going over to canada to get it done?
and it also saves me time and money as i need to take my wife with me as well!

is there a premium process for E3 extensions like one for H1b where it gets done inside a month??
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

zenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=msgd;11082144]
Originally Posted by merryfool86

The reason i am not willing to renew it in canada is that what if it doesn't get approved and and i can't come back into the usa! if i extend it within the us at least i would know what to do with all my commitments like rent contract and etc etc. besides i am not planning to leave the country for next 2 years so i don't see a point in going over to canada to get it done?
and it also saves me time and money as i need to take my wife with me as well!

is there a premium process for E3 extensions like one for H1b where it gets done inside a month??
No premium process with E3, honestly, I would suggest getting it done in Canada/Mexico as it's the same employer then you shouldn't have problems.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=zenjabba;11082579]
Originally Posted by msgd

No premium process with E3, honestly, I would suggest getting it done in Canada/Mexico as it's the same employer then you shouldn't have problems.

thank you for your suggestion
Old Jan 18th 2014, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

EM12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Has anyone tried paying the E3 visa application online? The system only lists E1 and E2 visa categories.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.