E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Provided you have a valid I-94 and LCA, I think you're fine.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

ozEcho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by khemist
Hi,
My LCA expires in November too. But my employer says i should be good to work with the company with a New LCA from November 2009 - 2011.

do you think thats feasible or i will be out of status from november?
I don't know much, but to me, if USCIS doesnt know about it, I think its a bit suspect to rely on a mistake by the POE officer.

If you think about it, when the consulate or USCIS pulls up your record again to give you another visa or an extention in 2011 (when your I94 expires), they will see the visa issued in Nov 2007 for 2 years, you entering and exiting the country in early 2009 and then nothing (no extensions or communications with USCIS etc) from 2009 till 2011 and yet your still in the country.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I'd at least get a second opinion ...
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

How do you figure USCIS don't know about it? The POE officer keeps half the I-94; presumably also with the expiration date on it.

I just reentered yesterday, and my I-94 expiration is the same as the expiration on my LCA, not on my visa.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by augigi
How do you figure USCIS don't know about it? The POE officer keeps half the I-94; presumably also with the expiration date on it.
So whats the rule? is it that entry should be given till the visa expires, or when the LCA expires? (which in theory is a few weeks before when the Visa expires?).

Of course, USCIS will havea record of the I94 and will see the "mistake" by the POE officer in 2009.

I'm suggesting that it may not be prudent to rely on the mistake, as I'm guessing there would be no issue between now and 2011, but when its re-reviewed in 2011 who knows what would happen.

I just reentered yesterday, and my I-94 expiration is the same as the expiration on my LCA, not on my visa.
I assume thats before your visa expiry?

I have a friend who entered earlier in the year on an E3, and her I94 doesnt reflect the visa expiry or LCA expiry. On enquiry with an IL, they told her it was a mistake and not to rely on it and refile/renew at the time according to the visa/LCA dates (which are only a week or two apart).
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

bjih is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the message I just sent to an individual forum member - i thought it would be helpful to some. The message was basically a how did you do it question.

I just came over here on a VWP and a handful of cash and looked for jobs everywhere. I had done alot of research online beforehand to check the depth of the jobs available in my field, researched some local organisations and groups to get in touch with and then came to Atlanta and hit the ground running. Note: I did have good local resources to exploit - a vast network of American friends from university, familiarity with the culture and local areas. Despite this, the following rules still apply.

It still took me 2.5 months to land a job but it is three things that are the key to success:

1. You must come over here to the US on the VWP and apply for jobs. People want to see your face and hear your voice. Americans value face-to-face interaction. It is far too easy for HR reps to write you off if you are 14000 miles away in favor of local talent. I cannot stress this enough. Expect to stay up to 3 months.

2. Network, Network, Network. The internet didn't work for me and its unlikely to work for you. Find groups, bars, roundtables, local church jobsearch groups, conferences etc and all-round schmoozing. I landed my job at a $15 7:00am breakfast roundtable event in the field I was aiming for - i stood up with the microphone during the introductions section and shamelessly gave myself a plug. My current boss came up to me afterwards and offered me an interview. Go where employed people are likely to be. Local church groups are helpful but if there are no network leads in the first couple of meetings, dont bother as you will just be hanging out with miserable, jobless people.

3. LinkedIn - If the internet is going to help you with anything, this is about it. It does help if you are already established but start now and use it as a communications tool for all the people you meet along the way.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozEcho
So whats the rule? is it that entry should be given till the visa expires, or when the LCA expires? (which in theory is a few weeks before when the Visa expires?).

Of course, USCIS will havea record of the I94 and will see the "mistake" by the POE officer in 2009.

I'm suggesting that it may not be prudent to rely on the mistake, as I'm guessing there would be no issue between now and 2011, but when its re-reviewed in 2011 who knows what would happen.

I assume thats before your visa expiry?

I have a friend who entered earlier in the year on an E3, and her I94 doesnt reflect the visa expiry or LCA expiry. On enquiry with an IL, they told her it was a mistake and not to rely on it and refile/renew at the time according to the visa/LCA dates (which are only a week or two apart).
I don't know where you're getting that it's a mistake? The visa is to enable entry into the US. Once you're in there, your I94 determines how long you can stay, and your LCA determines how long you can work, as far as I can tell. My E3 expires Jan 31, 2010, but my LCA goes to 3/3/10 and my I-94 goes to the same date (he read the LCA expiration and wrote it based on that).
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know where you're getting that it's a mistake? The visa is to enable entry into the US. Once you're in there, your I94 determines how long you can stay, and your LCA determines how long you can work, as far as I can tell. My E3 expires Jan 31, 2010, but my LCA goes to 3/3/10 and my I-94 goes to the same date (he read the LCA expiration and wrote it based on that).
How were you able to get a visa with an LCA expiration date after the visa expiration date? My understanding was the LCA should only be issued for a 2 year period for E3 partitioners. E3 Visas are also only granted for a 2 year period and are tied to the LCA. The LCA has to be presented at the time of visa issuance, so Im confused. Both my E3 visa's have LCA expiration dates that are a week or two/three before the visa expiration date.

I would have also thought the expiration of the visa date *usually* is the max period that the POE officer is suppose to grant. Otherwise why have a visa with an expiration date on it?

If its as you explain it, then I would be able to switch employers on an E3 visa, by simply getting a new LCA for the new employer, as long as I dont overstay the date on the original I94. But that cant be right, because the visa is tied to the original LCA (its written on the visa) and there is whole elongated process to apply for a visa transfer (hence the reason why nobody does and they just go to Canada for a new E3 visa).

I'm happy to be wrong, but it seems that there is a tri-partate agreement between all 3 documents, the LCA, the Visa and the I94, which you would think should all be consistent and have roughly the same dates.

So to have a visa that expires in Nov 2009, an I94 that expires in Nov 2011 and a third LCA document that is not "tied" to any of the other documents, seems a bit odd.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:25 am
Just Joined

jefferson2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Any experience with a DV win while on an E3? I was told I have been selected for further processing.

Am I able to apply within the US? USCIS New York was not helpful.....

The DV Center in Kentucky center said I would only need to lodge the DSP122 and I could change my status here in the US through the BCIS.

Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks.

Please reply to this post on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...40#post7890040
meauxna

Last edited by meauxna; Aug 31st 2009 at 4:28 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

thealey101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey All,

Has anyone had any experience with the Halifax consulate in Canada? They seem to have very short wait times, and it is convenient for me. However, I think I would rather go to a consulate where they see a lot of E3 applications.

Thanks for any opinions.

Tim.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thealey101
Has anyone had any experience with the Halifax consulate in Canada?
I've been in the Consulate in Halifax many times.

They seem to have very short wait times, and it is convenient for me.
You're lucky... most countries have only 1 or maybe 2 US Consulates. Canada has 'em all over the place.

However, I think I would rather go to a consulate where they see a lot of E3 applications.
I think you'll find that it makes no difference whatsoever.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys !

A newbie here, keen on utilising E3 visa in the next few months.

Would appreciate assistance from the experienced members. How are most of you finding employers/jobs to sponsor you?

Is there a thread that we could possibly start to share our experiences so to help starters like myself in this arena ?

I am unsure about where to look for a job/sponsor.

Could anyone help?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Same way you'd find any job - contacts, networking are best. You can potentially come for a short visit to talk to people in person. The main thing is to explain that E3 is NOT the same burden to employer as H1B and doing the online LCA is really their only cost. If they have HR do it, it's cheaper than a lawyer obviously. Best to try big places that have other foreign employees, or just find someone who really really wants your skills and then talk them into it.

I was lucky in that I knew someone who offered me a job some times ago, and then when I left my last employer I called to ask if they were serious.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks augigi, what if one doesn't have any known insiders. I have been thinkin of utilising the VWP towards the end of year targeting dec-jan period, however have been quite skeptical about the timing given that its a holiday period and quite unlikely to find someone giving away job sponsorships.

I work in the banking industry and like many others dreams are to make big at wall st, at 25 years of age -i am way behind most starters (looking for an entry level role) and believe there would be a lot of competition in that sector. Neverthless, the first thing would be to score a job in US (regardless of the state) and go from there.

I read somewhere, someone scored a job via DICE.com, howver got rejected at the interview. This all seems such bureaucratic procedure.

Then there were talks about some consultancy firms offering short term job offerings. Which firms are these ? and why are they being called unsafe?

Would successful members on this forum be keen on 'networking' with fellow rookies to help them crack their way in?

Last edited by mist3rh; Sep 12th 2009 at 4:37 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mist3rh
Thanks augigi, what if one doesn't have any known insiders. I have been thinkin of utilising the VWP towards the end of year targeting dec-jan period, however have been quite skeptical about the timing given that its a holiday period and quite unlikely to find someone giving away job sponsorships.

I work in the banking industry and like many others dreams are to make big at wall st, at 25 years of age -i am way behind most starters (looking for an entry level role) and believe there would be a lot of competition in that sector. Neverthless, the first thing would be to score a job in US (regardless of the state) and go from there.

I read somewhere, someone scored a job via DICE.com, howver got rejected at the interview. This all seems such bureaucratic procedure.

Then there were talks about some consultancy firms offering short term job offerings. Which firms are these ? and why are they being called unsafe?

Would successful members on this forum be keen on 'networking' with fellow rookies to help them crack their way in?
I am glad you realise that it's very competitive at the moment. Entry level, regardless of the state of the economy, will be competitive/difficult.

When an employer want's to offer you a job, it will usually be because you have the contacts or are highly skilled. The easiest away is to travel on VWP and check out the requirements...

It's not easy so all the very best. I think ideal way would to get into a multinational and work your way up & hard to get transferred.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only
I am glad you realise that it's very competitive at the moment. Entry level, regardless of the state of the economy, will be competitive/difficult.

When an employer want's to offer you a job, it will usually be because you have the contacts or are highly skilled. The easiest away is to travel on VWP and check out the requirements...

It's not easy so all the very best. I think ideal way would to get into a multinational and work your way up & hard to get transferred.
Thanks E3ONLY, i am looking towards travelling on VWP later during the year to suss out the market. Have tried the handful of multinationals here in Aus, but no luck. The multinationals don't seem to recruit a whole lot here in Aus. The recruitment that does happen is either at a very lower level or at a higher senior roles.

I think the fellow members already working in US should perhaps get together to perhaps provide some guidance/networking support to other members up here. Sharing is caring i guess. I'd be totally up for a similar move if i happen to score something in the US.

Not sure how many would agree to the above, but i think its well worth a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.