E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Originally Posted by mist3rh
Thanks E3ONLY, i am looking towards travelling on VWP later during the year to suss out the market. Have tried the handful of multinationals here in Aus, but no luck. The multinationals don't seem to recruit a whole lot here in Aus. The recruitment that does happen is either at a very lower level or at a higher senior roles.

I think the fellow members already working in US should perhaps get together to perhaps provide some guidance/networking support to other members up here. Sharing is caring i guess. I'd be totally up for a similar move if i happen to score something in the US.

Not sure how many would agree to the above, but i think its well worth a thought.
There is no single away anyone can follow to make it there mate. If it were so easy, everyone would have followed the process!

How much experience do you have? What is your area of expertise, why should employer hire you, what are your qualifications ?

Did you try to get onto LinkedIn? Nothing can happen over night. There is no one way that can gaurantee success. I do know that I have known a few who have been over on VWP and got roles. It all depends what skills you have. Americans (average) know little about immigration and visas. So that would be upto you to explain....

Who said to you multinationals don't recruit here? There is JP, GS, Citi, Microsoft, EU banks, UK banks........
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
There is no single away anyone can follow to make it there mate. If it were so easy, everyone would have followed the process!

How much experience do you have? What is your area of expertise, why should employer hire you, what are your qualifications ?

Did you try to get onto LinkedIn? Nothing can happen over night. There is no one way that can gaurantee success. I do know that I have known a few who have been over on VWP and got roles. It all depends what skills you have. Americans (average) know little about immigration and visas. So that would be upto you to explain....

Who said to you multinationals don't recruit here? There is JP, GS, Citi, Microsoft, EU banks, UK banks........
Thanks E3ONLY, i agree that magic isn't possible and job sourcing is always tedious and stressful regardless of it being a local or an overseas market. And i totally am aware of the fact that there are plenty candidates with better or similar credentials like myself and as such i have to make extra effort to put myself out there.

And i again agree on the networking part, be it on Linkedin or a forum like this. Hence the reason I was interested in seeking some advice/assistance from the successful members on the forum.

I've not explored linkedin to a great extent, however, have been looking at a few things i.e adding open networkers and joining groups but nothing concrete just yet. I am also skeptical about approaching someone virtually unknown to seek employment as not many would appreciate the gesture. It appears quite selfish i believe.

Yeah, agree the above multinationals do recruit and I have visited their career's sites to locate roles. However, only a handful of roles most of which have been at senior levels -hence out of question for me.

Personally, I hold an undegraduate degree (accounting) with post-undegrad experience of 2 years in related area (in banking) and have,during my university years, gained around 3 years of professional/commercial level experience. Currently pursuing a CPA part time as well.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mist3rh
Thanks E3ONLY, i agree that magic isn't possible and job sourcing is always tedious and stressful regardless of it being a local or an overseas market. And i totally am aware of the fact that there are plenty candidates with better or similar credentials like myself and as such i have to make extra effort to put myself out there.

And i again agree on the networking part, be it on Linkedin or a forum like this. Hence the reason I was interested in seeking some advice/assistance from the successful members on the forum.

I've not explored linkedin to a great extent, however, have been looking at a few things i.e adding open networkers and joining groups but nothing concrete just yet. I am also skeptical about approaching someone virtually unknown to seek employment as not many would appreciate the gesture. It appears quite selfish i believe.

Yeah, agree the above multinationals do recruit and I have visited their career's sites to locate roles. However, only a handful of roles most of which have been at senior levels -hence out of question for me.

Personally, I hold an undegraduate degree (accounting) with post-undegrad experience of 2 years in related area (in banking) and have,during my university years, gained around 3 years of professional/commercial level experience. Currently pursuing a CPA part time as well.
Sure,

The question is not just edcation and experience but unique skills combined with experience and education. E.g. if one has post u-grad experience and worked as a teller well that as little to no significance as opposed to under grad and worked in say a finance team + close to CPA.

If I were you, would concentrate on getting CPA out of the way. There are 6 units that you need to complete - I don't know how many you ahve already. But do that. You have to realise that CPA, Australia has little value in US. Although it might help if you have an Aussie boss. Keep all options opeen, i.e. multinational experience, may be complete your CPA, visit states and meet up with consultants and understand what is it that they are looking for. Instance I understanding SOX and Auditing is hot at the moment in US.

I don't mean to discourage you. I have an undergrad, post grad, 8 years experience (finance/accounting area), almost done by CPA and another chartered qualification from Canada and believe me - I am not find it easy. BUt it all depends - I have other responsiblities so I can't pack bags and leave. You on the other side, visit on VWP and even if you score low paying job, that could be a good start?

just my 2 cents worth...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Sure,

The question is not just edcation and experience but unique skills combined with experience and education. E.g. if one has post u-grad experience and worked as a teller well that as little to no significance as opposed to under grad and worked in say a finance team + close to CPA.

If I were you, would concentrate on getting CPA out of the way. There are 6 units that you need to complete - I don't know how many you ahve already. But do that. You have to realise that CPA, Australia has little value in US. Although it might help if you have an Aussie boss. Keep all options opeen, i.e. multinational experience, may be complete your CPA, visit states and meet up with consultants and understand what is it that they are looking for. Instance I understanding SOX and Auditing is hot at the moment in US.

I don't mean to discourage you. I have an undergrad, post grad, 8 years experience (finance/accounting area), almost done by CPA and another chartered qualification from Canada and believe me - I am not find it easy. BUt it all depends - I have other responsiblities so I can't pack bags and leave. You on the other side, visit on VWP and even if you score low paying job, that could be a good start?

just my 2 cents worth...
I have enrolled in my first CPA module this semester and have a long way to go. I was under the impression that CPA Australia has mutual agreement with CPA/CA in the US for recognition. The only time difference arises is if you are to work in a public practice firm and hence require local legal/taxation knowledge where an aussie CPA could be an issue.

Neverthless, I have enrolled in CPA primarily to seek further enhancement to the academic level more than anything else. I have been rather keen on an MBA from a top tier US varsity, however, would be more interested in getting employment first and then pursue the degree part time. And i may not bother to complete the CPA if i can source a role in the US.

Thanks and yeah i do believe in scoring an opportunity would be a primary task rather than aiming at a 6 figure salary. I'd be happy to maintain my current salary as long as I score a role.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

bhaliya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My E-3 expires in December 2009. I am thinking of crossing the border to Canada and get a new E-3 visa rather than going through E-3 extension process.

My question is, if I get a new visa from Canada, do I have to enter the US through an airport or can I just enter the country from any of the US borders
?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.....

Rgds,
bhakthil
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhaliya
... do I have to enter the US through an airport or can I just enter the country from any of the US borders?
You can enter the US via any land or air border... it doesn't matter.

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:18 am
Account Closed

SusanPai is an unknown quantity at this point

Basic information written about the E-3 here http://www.strongvisa.com/pages/e-3.php
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

jamiemax is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently on an E3 and have a visa appointment in Canada next week- as I am switching employers. I got a new E3 (all be it with the same employer) a couple of months ago in Ottawa and had no problems. I thought it would be quick and easy this time also, but just realised that there is now a potential 7 business day wait for the ETA 9035 as the US gov is using a new system.

Do I need the ETA 9035 to be approved before my appointment? I did not have to show it for my last two visa appointments and the ETA 9035 doesn't have my name on it, just the company name (so nobody knows who it is for) - but I am unsure if it is somehow checked when they are processing my visa at the consulate?

Any help is much appreciated. Feel free to contact me if you need any other advice as far as renewals- as i've done it twice- once in Ottawa and once in Nassau.

Thankyou.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamiemax
I am currently on an E3 and have a visa appointment in Canada next week- as I am switching employers. I got a new E3 (all be it with the same employer) a couple of months ago in Ottawa and had no problems. I thought it would be quick and easy this time also, but just realised that there is now a potential 7 business day wait for the ETA 9035 as the US gov is using a new system.

Do I need the ETA 9035 to be approved before my appointment? I did not have to show it for my last two visa appointments and the ETA 9035 doesn't have my name on it, just the company name (so nobody knows who it is for) - but I am unsure if it is somehow checked when they are processing my visa at the consulate?

Any help is much appreciated. Feel free to contact me if you need any other advice as far as renewals- as i've done it twice- once in Ottawa and once in Nassau.

Thankyou.
Correction: I do not think I showed it for my last two appointments. I wish I could remember for sure.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have to take it to the appointment.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
Urz
Just Joined

Urz is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I study part-time on an E3 visa?

My plan is to work in the US and get my pilot's licence part-time. If I was only there to get my licence (not working) I'd need an M1 visa.

If study on E3 isn't possible, can I have two visas at the same time (E3 and M1)?

Thanks lots,

Urz
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urz
Can I study part-time on an E3 visa?
As long as you remain working for your E-3 sponsor, yes.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

ReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the roughReneeNYC is a jewel in the rough

Has anybody had their E3 visa processed in Montreal?

I just got an appointment in Montreal to renew my E3 visa. Last time I went to Halifax, and so I know you get your passport back the day after your consulate interview.

In this case, i went through the USICS in vermont and got my approval notice, so I am taking all those papers with me to Montreal.

I have an appointment on a Thursday....will I get the passport and visa in it back on Friday? Has anyone done it or heard of anyone who's had it processed in Montreal and whether it just takes one day?

I don't want to assume its the same as Halifax. And I saw that someone said it might take 7 days in Canada right now?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

rph3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am trying rigorously to get a visa appointment at Vancouver/Calagary consulates for next week, but have been in vain so far. Anybody tried this service [link removed]. It seems they will book an appointment for you for some fee. How genuine these people are ? Anybody tried it.

Does anyone have any experience going to the consulate at Nassau, Bahamas? I am considering this option. Please share your experiences.

THANKS !
rph3

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:55 am. Reason: remove url
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamiemax

Thankyou.

Well I ended up getting my LCA certified before I left the US for my appointment in Ottawa, but I was NOT asked for it during my appointment. Maybe it was checked during the two processing days, but I would be surprised as the LCA form does not have my name on it or any reference to me, it only references the employer.

A note for others traveling to Ottawa- your passport will be returned in two days not the following day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.