Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship wanted. British Passport but my kids are USA

Dual Citizenship wanted. British Passport but my kids are USA

Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

LesleyAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship wanted. British Passport but my kids are USA

Firstly, I apologise if this subject has already been discussed.
I am British holding permanent residency in the USA for 17 years now. My husband, and children hold USA citizenship.
I do not want to renounce my British citizenship but realise for the sake of my husband and children we need to all have the same passports - for the sake of easier travel etc.
I have had so many different comments and answers to holding Dual Citizenship. Any advice, links, and whether or not this can still be done would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship wanted. British Passport but my kids are USA

Providing your children were born after 1983 then they will already hold dual citizenship - US by birth, British by descent. They need only apply for their British passports.

Should you wish to naturalise as a US citizen then feel free to do so. It will have no effect whatsoever on your British citizenship.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you become a USC and obtain a US passport, you will not have renounced your British citizenship, you will have become a dual citizen.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2016, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LesleyAnn
I do not want to renounce my British citizenship...
It never ceases to amaze me how many Brits don't understand that becoming a US citizen does not mean renouncing your British citizenship. Why? Because the US Oath of Allegiance asks you to renounce your allegiance... not your citizenship. They aren't the same thing! Besides, it's the UK, and not the US, who determines who is or isn't a citizen of the UK. The US has no authority whatsoever to compel you to renounce your UK citizenship.

Many of us here are dual UK/US citizens and have 2 valid passports... because we were born in the UK and later naturalized as US citizens. Some of us, including me, have 3 citizenships and 3 valid passports. At least one member here has 4 citizenships and 4 valid passports!

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, you do not lose your British citizenship (or passport) if you become a US citizen. Some countries don't allow their citizens to hold multiple citizenships but the US and the UK are not among them. I started off with Irish and British citizenship by birth in Northern Ireland. I have since acquired Canadian and US citizenship by naturalization and now hold 4 citizenships (as do my 4 kids). My wife holds 3 (UK, Canada and US).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you. This has been most helpful.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:51 am
Just Joined

I'm not yet sure how to respond to each one individually but I do want to say thank you everyone so much. This is so reassuring. I've been told many times that I could not hold USA and British passports! I will be looking into proceeding now with it.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LesleyAnn
I'm not yet sure how to respond to each one individually but I do want to say thank you everyone so much. This is so reassuring. I've been told many times that I could not hold USA and British passports! I will be looking into proceeding now with it.
My daughter's high school social studies teacher told the class the same thing. My daughter argued the point with the teacher by saying that she had 4 citizenships and 3 valid passports. The teacher didn't think that was possible and that my daughter must have lost her other citizenships when she became a US citizen (which happened automatically when my wife became a naturalized US citizen). The next day my daughter brought her currently valid US, UK and Canadian passports (she didn't have an Irish passport then) into class to show to the teacher and the other students. It's mind blowing how much ignorance there is on this topic.

http://dlgimmigration.com/united-sta...l-citizenship/

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 28th 2016 at 6:07 am.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Wow, thank you. I am amazed at how quickly I got results on here, and yet whenever I asked about it, I was told it was no longer possible. Again, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.