Dual citizenship for new baby

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jbugz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship for new baby

Hi all,
I'm hoping this is a simple question, but I'm apparently no good at doing searches because I can't find a related thread (although I'm sure there MUST be some here)

My husband and I are expecting on March 4th. We've filed all the AOS papers and he has his interim EAD card and SS# and we are currently just in the waiting game.

Can anyone tell us exactly what we need to do so that our baby will be a legal citizen of both the US and New Zealand??
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship for new baby

Start at the horse's mouth and not the other end. Here is the URL for the New Zealand's Embassy in Washington, DC

You should find the informatio you need to know about your child's dual citizenship and what, if any, needs to be done.

http://www.nzembassy.com/home.cfm?CF...3500&c=31&l=86

Rete

Originally Posted by Jbugz
Hi all,
I'm hoping this is a simple question, but I'm apparently no good at doing searches because I can't find a related thread (although I'm sure there MUST be some here)

My husband and I are expecting on March 4th. We've filed all the AOS papers and he has his interim EAD card and SS# and we are currently just in the waiting game.

Can anyone tell us exactly what we need to do so that our baby will be a legal citizen of both the US and New Zealand??
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Your child will be a US citizen by virtue of being born on US soil. If you want to get New Zealand citizenship as well, you will probably have to do some sort of registration of the birth with the New Zealand embassy - hence the link Rete gave you.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:10 pm
sgallagher

Jbugz wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm hoping this is a simple question, but I'm apparently no good at
    > doing searches because I can't find a related thread (although I'm
sure
    > there MUST be some here)
    > My husband and I are expecting on March 4th. We've filed all the AOS
    > papers and he has his interim EAD card and SS# and we are currently
just
    > in the waiting game.
    > Can anyone tell us exactly what we need to do so that our baby will
be a
    > legal citizen of both the US and New Zealand??

If your child is born in the US then US citizenship will be automatic.
No action is required.

To my knowledge, in order to obtain NZ citizenship by descent for your
child, it will be necessary to apply for it. Contact the nearest NZ
consulate. Doing this will not affect his US citizenship, and in fact,
your child will be able to keep and make use of both citizenships
for life.

Stephen Gallagher