Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does any US embassy accept I-130 petition for a K-1 visa?

Old Jul 4th 2001, 2:55 am
niceguy4721

I am a US citizen and was wondering if any US embassy would accept the I-130 petition
for my (future) Iranian wife and issue her a K-1 visa. I am trying to find out the
quickest method of bringing her to US. Please post the name of the US embassy that
would do this and any other information that I need to know about the process. I have
heard that few US embassies process I-130 if my wife was from the country where the
US embassy is located. However, there is no US embassy in Iran.

Thanks,

Old Jul 4th 2001, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to marry in the US, then you have to file an I-129F petition at the INS service centre in the US with jurisdiction over your state. She would have her K1 interview in the US Embassy that is dealing with Iran's affairs.

If you marry abroad, then you would file an I-130 petition either in the US Embassy, if local regulations allow, or with an INS service centre.
Old Jul 4th 2001, 11:49 am
Alvena Ferreira

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
The US consulate in Ankara turkey will reportedly accept I-130 petitions for US
non-resident citizens who have Iranian spouses. Timeframe is anticipated 3-4 months
at last report, but might be quicker. You can read more about this at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Enter, click the "DCF:
Choose Your Visa" link, then click "experiences" link, and finally Turkey link. You
should call Ankara consulate to confirm this, see this info:
http://www.usemb-ankara.org.tr/CONSULAR/iv.htm If you click the "Important
Information About Immigrant Visas and Ankara" link, you will see that they state that
they are a designated processing location for Immigrant Visas for Iranians and that
they do accept immigrant visa petitions. You may want, however, to check on what it
wiill take to most quickly/easily have a legal marriage. It might be easier to have
legal marriage in Iran than in Turkey, however you should check. Your and your
Iranian spouse would have to go to Ankara in order to file for this visa. (however
you could leave after the initial filing, as I understand it). Best recommendation is
to call Ankara and talk to them and get their recommendations on this. This method
should be quicker than fiance visa, presuming that all goes according to plan. Your
wife would not need police certificate from Iran, as is it not available for that
country, and this should speed the processing a bit.

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only:
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 4th 2001, 8:01 pm
niceguy4721

THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFORMATION

[usenetquote2]> > Does any US embassy accept I-130 petition for a K-1 visa? I am a US citizen and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > was wondering if any US embassy would accept the[/usenetquote2]
I-130
[usenetquote2]> > petition for my (future) Iranian wife and issue her a K-1 visa. I am trying to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > find out the quickest method of bringing her to US.[/usenetquote2]
Please
[usenetquote2]> > post the name of the US embassy that would do this and any other[/usenetquote2]
information
[usenetquote2]> > that I need to know about the process. I have heard that few US[/usenetquote2]
embassies
[usenetquote2]> > process I-130 if my wife was from the country where the US embassy is located.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > However, there is no US embassy in Iran.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 12:16 am
lisac77

Hey, nice to see another Iranian/American couple here!

We are doing the I-130/I-485 route stateside. Good luck in your future plans!

Lisa (US) and Reza (IRAN)

>
    >
    >
I-130
    >
    >
    >
information
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 9:26 pm
MoonRose13

Hello,

<< Does any US embassy accept I-130 petition for a K-1 visa?

I am a US citizen and was wondering if any US embassy would accept the I-130 petition
for my (future) Iranian wife and issue her a K-1 visa. I am trying to find out the
quickest method of bringing her to US. Please post the name of the US embassy that
would do this and any other information that I need to know about the process. I have
heard that few US embassies process I-130 if my wife was from the country where the
US embassy is located. However, there is no US embassy in Iran. >>

You are talking about two different visas here. You cannot apply for an I-130 visa
unless you marry your fiancee in another country. Once you are married you cannot
apply for a K1 Visa which is a fiance/ee visa.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa