Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Documents and process for first entry on visa

Documents and process for first entry on visa

Old May 16th 2019, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documents and process for first entry on visa

Earlier this week we received our passports back with visas (L1-A and L2) and flying to JFK tomorrow for just 5 days for now. We are not popping the champagne until successfully over the border... Just had a few questions on this first trip.
  1. We will still complete a customs arrivals form as visitors and queue in the same line as ESTA holders?
  2. What documents might be requested in addition to the I-797? We will take copies of the job offer letter and recent payslips per the company lawyer's advice, and copies of our marriage certificate and translation.
  3. We also have active ESTAs. Do we need to do anything to ensure our entry is on the visas instead?
  4. Will we receive any documentation? It looks like the I-94 is no longer issued and instead you can download a copy of latest from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov?
  5. On a related note, does anyone know how quickly I-94 will be available online? We want to apply for L2's EAD while on this trip.
  6. I'll be attending some work meetings while over and my wife (L2) will be attending a conference, however our primary reason for visit is not business so we'll say no on the customs form. However if asked by an agent what our travel purpose is, will it confuse things to say more than "moving here and doing some research of places to live etc"?
Thanks again. I'll be writing up a summary of my full visa timeline etc experienced once all over and done with!
Old May 16th 2019, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documents and process for first entry on visa

1. You still have to complete a landing card. No, you do not enter the ESTA queue as you are not entering on the VWP. Follow the ordinary non-USC, visa queue.
2. Shouldn't need any more than that and it's very unlikely you'll need any of that unless they feel like scrutinizing you for some particular, not-normal reason.
3. Just. Don't go through the ESTA queue.
4. No. i-94s are electronic. Wait a 48 hours after you landed to check it was issued properly (mistakes happen often)
5. As above.
6. As always with CBP offers, only answer the questions you are asked. If s/he asks what you're doing here, tell the truth concisely. What you quote will be fine.
Old May 16th 2019, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks for the swift response shiversaint!
Old May 17th 2019, 4:39 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I have been on a GC since 2011 so things may have changed since then before that I made frequent entries on my L1a.

I am not sure what an ESTA line is, I have used Global Entry for Many years now, but I don’t recall seeing more than 3 lines, 1 for USC and GC holders. 1 for Airline Crew and Diplomats, 1 for everyone else, i.e. VW and Visas. I understand that some L1 holders can now apply for Global Entry as well. As to the purpose of the trip, who is paying for the trip? Would you be coming if it was not for work? In any case that question is more relevant for VW (ESTA) as they stamp WB or WT, they don’t do that for an L1.

Last edited by tht; May 17th 2019 at 5:05 am.
Old May 17th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll likely have to tell the airline staff when checking in that you're using your visa and not ESTA.
​​​​
Old May 17th 2019, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If biometrics, prints and photo, are needed for your EAD, will you still in the US to do them?

Last edited by Rete; May 17th 2019 at 2:44 pm.
Old May 17th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
Earlier this week we received our passports back with visas (L1-A and L2) and flying to JFK tomorrow for just 5 days for now. We are not popping the champagne until successfully over the border... Just had a few questions on this first trip.
  1. We will still complete a customs arrivals form as visitors and queue in the same line as ESTA holders?
  2. What documents might be requested in addition to the I-797? We will take copies of the job offer letter and recent payslips per the company lawyer's advice, and copies of our marriage certificate and translation.
  3. We also have active ESTAs. Do we need to do anything to ensure our entry is on the visas instead?
  4. Will we receive any documentation? It looks like the I-94 is no longer issued and instead you can download a copy of latest from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov?
  5. On a related note, does anyone know how quickly I-94 will be available online? We want to apply for L2's EAD while on this trip.
  6. I'll be attending some work meetings while over and my wife (L2) will be attending a conference, however our primary reason for visit is not business so we'll say no on the customs form. However if asked by an agent what our travel purpose is, will it confuse things to say more than "moving here and doing some research of places to live etc"?
Thanks again. I'll be writing up a summary of my full visa timeline etc experienced once all over and done with!
1. In my experience the airport signage will tell you which queue to join. If you're flying into JFK with BA you'll land at terminal 7 and from memory they seperate you into 2 queues. One is for US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Returning ESTA travellers. The other is for "all other visas". That'll be you. If you're flying Virgin Atlantic or American into Terminal 4 or 8 they usually have staff directing people. It's pretty straightforward.

2. I have only ever been asked to show the I-797 or I-129s, and usually not even those.

3. Really simple. I always hand my passport opened at the visa page to the CBP agent. That way you can be sure.

4/5. The I-94 seems to be available almost instantly. I'm pretty sure last time I checked it in the taxi queue before I'd even left the airport. It's worth doing so as sometimes mistakes are made. I'm on an L-1B but the customs agent recorded my entry as L-1A. I just phoned my lawyers and they sorted it out.

6. Just keep your answer short and to the point. There's nothing unusual about what you're doing and it won't raise any concerns.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Very slow - but just to follow up on this for anyone's future reference looking in.

1. We arrived into JFK terminal 8 and there were 2 different queues. As GeneralPowerpoint stated above, one was for US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Returning ESTA travellers and the other was for "all other visas" which we were directed to. We queued for approx. an hour here.
2. The CBP agent looked at the I-797 and passport only.
3. I done as advised and handed the passport open at the visa page.
4. I-94 was electronic only.
5. I didn't check until 2 days later but it was updated by then for the L-2. My travel history was updated but the I-94 still had my old entry. I called JFK directly and the helpful agent spotted the mistake and fixed it while on the phone. I was able to refresh the site and see it updated immediately.
6. The CBP agent asked briefly what my job was and that was it.