Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do we feel an L-1B will be successful (no degree)

Do we feel an L-1B will be successful (no degree)

Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Neorion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we feel an L-1B will be successful (no degree)

Hi all,

I have been floating around the forums reading a lot of posts in this section and just want to put my case out there. To get opinions and some advice regarding the interview.

My situation is this.

I work for a very large US based oil company. I am a UK citizen born and raised and have worked for this company for 3 years. 1 year as a contractor and 2 years as staff.
I work in IT working as an analyst, this isnt a support role, I work with the business bringing in new tools or changing process to "get the job done".

My wife is a USC and last October she was offered a position in the US mothership in Houston. I do NOT have a degree but I found a job with our company which is a higher role than I currently have.

My company has filed an L-1B but not a blanket as I dont have a degree. I have 8 years IT experience and 4 years offshore in well control.

My new boss has created a glowing letter of support (so I am told by US HR) and my current supervisor has also been approached and submitted a supporting argument.

I dont have this information to hand until my L-1B is approved (hopefully).

We didnt go the greencard route and that is down to ignorance at the time as we wrongly assumed there would never be an issue getting me in the country.

The role I will be going into will require my knowledge of both the offshore industry (my well control role) and my company / IT knowledge of our process and procedures which has taken the guts of the 3 years to be competent in.

My wife is now in the US in our new home so I am VERY keen to get over there.

Going on the above, do you feel that I shouldnt come up against any real concerns for a L-1B Specialized Knowledge?

Also from anyones past experiences what kind of questions do you think I could be asked?

I have been told that I will receive the pack with all the supporting evidence in it and to memorise it.

I guess I am just very nervous about the interview / meeting / questions, however you want to refer to it.

Maybe I am just worried and looking to get some support. I know people have gotten a L-1B without a degree however no one really went into much depth.

Thanks all
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we feel an L-1B will be successful (no degree)

You don't need a degree for L-1B, if you really want it chapter and verse, read 8 CFR 214.2(l) "Specialized knowledge" doesn't mean generally speaking specialized knowledge, it means specialized knowledge about that company and how it works. Which if you have a letter of recommendation like that, clearly you do.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't need a degree, it's not a H1B. It's either management role or niche company knowledge.

You've got the advantage of the missus being able to sponsor you for a IR visa too, though if the company is doing a L1, that'll be quicker and then you can AOS for a greencard based on marriage once in the US, or have the company do it based on the L1.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and sorry I have been slack in replying!

Something has just crossed my mine.

In 2006 there was a fire in my flat it wasnt my fault and there were no charges brought against me. I had however been out with a friend and was woken up by the police.

I was disorientated so the police took me to the station and let me sleep there. As you can imagine I was in a dead sleep in the flat and then I am outside + drunk.

I was given a "notebook" caution to get me to the station and in the morning I was sent on my way.

This really didnt occur to me until just now. Now I have been in and out of the US frequently in the last 5 years with my now wife on the VWP without issue.

Seeing as it was a notebook caution should I look at getting a records trace or now the visa has been submitted just sit on my hands and wait.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

For my L1B I didn't have to get a police record search & letter done. That was Sep 2010. Unless it's changed now, I'd say don't worry, it won't come up. You DO have to declare certain convictions, IIRC.

Good luck.

Cheers

Harry
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Thank Harry,

I have 0 convictions of any sort I was just airing on the side of caution but maybe im being too cautious!

Thanks