Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need a visa or will my k1 cover it ???

Do I need a visa or will my k1 cover it ???

Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

littlegreys is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Do I need a visa or will my k1 cover it ???

Hi There just got my american k1 visa to travel to america i have just booked my plane tickets it says i need to fill out a esta do i still have to fill this out with my visa ????? or is it covered under the K1
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a visa or will my k1 cover it ???

Originally Posted by littlegreys
Hi There just got my american k1 visa to travel to america i have just booked my plane tickets it says i need to fill out a esta do i still have to fill this out with my visa ????? or is it covered under the K1
You don't need an ESTA.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You also won't be able to do online checkin, so plan to get to the airport in sufficient time for that.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you do online check-in? It's been a while for me to remember specifics of that. I always go to the airport plenty early anyway (I use BA).

Last edited by The Earl of Drumer; Jun 13th 2011 at 12:17 am.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you do online check-in? It's been a while for me to remember specifics of that. I always go to the airport plenty early anyway (I use BA).
You can't typically do online check-in if you are traveling to the US with a visa because, currently, there do not appear to be any airline web sites that can handle that particular situation.

Online check-in usually only works for the following 3 categories of traveler:
  • US citizens
  • Permanent residents
  • Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program

Everyone else normally has to check in at the airport.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, gotcha. Would the machines work at the airports or would you actually have to go to the back drop staff? Bit surprised why they haven't implemented anything online for people with visas.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, gotcha. Would the machines work at the airports or would you actually have to go to the back drop staff? Bit surprised why they haven't implemented anything online for people with visas.
I came over on K1 on Virgin and checked in at machine at airport..easy and no esta needed.
A
Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You can't typically do online check-in if you are traveling to the US with a visa because, currently, there do not appear to be any airline web sites that can handle that particular situation.

Online check-in usually only works for the following 3 categories of traveler:
  • US citizens
  • Permanent residents
  • Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program

Everyone else normally has to check in at the airport.
PR is hit or miss, count on it being a miss depending on the airline website. The only ones definitely able to check in online are USC and VWP.

The automatic machines are the same as the online check in. You must use an agent at the desk. The reason it hasn't been fixed is the usual blame game. The Gov say it's up to the airlines, the airlines say they need direction from the Gov.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

littlegreys is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all the help
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
PR is hit or miss, count on it being a miss depending on the airline website.
It definitely works with KLM - I don't have recent experience of online check-in with any other airline.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
PR is hit or miss, count on it being a miss depending on the airline website. The only ones definitely able to check in online are USC and VWP.

The automatic machines are the same as the online check in. You must use an agent at the desk. The reason it hasn't been fixed is the usual blame game. The Gov say it's up to the airlines, the airlines say they need direction from the Gov.
I used the check in kiosk with virgin then just took my bags to the bag drop