Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DMV (Derranged Maniacal Vultures?)

DMV (Derranged Maniacal Vultures?)

Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jon1905 will become famous soon enough
Default DMV (Derranged Maniacal Vultures?)

Okay here goes..

I passed my test on the 26th of August...

Was given a 45 day temp, and told that I would have my licence in 3-4 weeks, and that if I didn't have it in 40 days, to call..

Which I did..

I then get a new temporary in the mail the NEXT DAY..

Now I assume the reason that non USC's have to wait, is that they need to check with the INS first?.. Fair enough...

today's just shy of 2 mo's.. it's been 52 days.. So I get my licence... Which expire (I Had to learn this for my really really hard test).. every 4 years on the Birthday of the licence holder.

So WHY Pray tell does mine expire January 21st 2004.. almost 5 measley little months from the issue date..

Nowhere NEAR my birthday, and exceedingly random.... So it took them 52 days to screw up?

Although I wasn't at the date of my test.. I am now an LPR Green Card holder.. My AOS was 22 days after my test, and I KNOW they hadn't processed my licence by then, because I called 40 days after, and he told me "it is stuck in the system and hasn't even been processed yet".

So by the time they processed it, the INS would have known I'm an LPR, so even IF that had any bearing on it.. (Which they never told me anything other than the manual stating 4 years) , then it should've been fine by then anyway...

Now I have to waste my time again, chasing after them, to find out what's going on.. Bah..

Anyone know what's up with that??

~ Jon
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:22 am
David Robinson

Default Re: DMV (Derranged Maniacal Vultures?)

It depends what state you are in. Each has it's own
requirements,standards and exceptions. In some states non residents can
get a license witout any other proof at all.

May the Lord bless you and keep you safe, From Ranger-Dave Robinson.
http://community.webtv.net/Ranger-Dave/RangerNotesFrom

Old Oct 18th 2003, 6:17 am
Darth Spacey

State-run DMVs are apparently very variable, and possibly not even subject
to the normal rules of space and time.

In NC, they wouldn't even take a license application without a GC (although
you're allowed to drive on an out-of-state license while a non-resident, and
for 90 days after becoming a resident). I strolled in there with my GC, SS
card and my lease agreement, and while I wasn't out of there quickly, I was
at least out of there smoothly (a multiple-guess test, an eyesight test, and
a two-minute round-the-block driving test), and left with my permanent
license in my hand.

Darth Spacey

Old Oct 18th 2003, 6:23 am
Darth Spacey

"Darth Spacey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > State-run DMVs are apparently very variable, and possibly not even subject
    > to the normal rules of space and time.
    > In NC, they wouldn't even take a license application without a GC

I meant to add how much fun this made the GC interview, when the guy asked
for my license. Ah, good times....

Darth Spacey

Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Now I assume the reason that non USC's have to wait, is that they need to check with the INS first?.. Fair enough...
The check is not with the INS (USCIS) but a cursory name check with the FBI...whatever proof you showed of your immigration status was not long enough at the time...Just get it renewed at expiry..
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

1jwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray6
The check is not with the INS (USCIS) but a cursory name check with the FBI...whatever proof you showed of your immigration status was not long enough at the time...Just get it renewed at expiry..
Try getting a license renewed in Jersey (I was on an L1A at the time). The license was valid for 4 years. I go to my local DMV to renew. No go - new rules that all non USC or PR have to go to a regional center. 6 hours (no kidding) later waiting online (2 lines one for the INS check before you get to wait on another line with everyone else) I have my license renewed. It expires in June 2004 when my L1A is due to expire.... shame really 3 weeks later I was in London to adjust status to Perm Resident and 3 weeks after that I had my green card in hand.

Now I can probably go back and renew but I'm sure I will have to wait online again for the INS check and after that (another 6 hours) some jobsworth will probably say I can't renew until the old license is due to expire.

Welcome to Jersey

--John