Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Different names on passport and airline ticket

Different names on passport and airline ticket

Old Aug 30th 2004, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different names on passport and airline ticket

Hi,

Ok my situation is this.

My passport is in my maiden name, going to London and then Italy. My airline ticket from US to UK is in married name, ticket from London to Italy is in maiden name because the woman said my ticket should have same name as passport.
The thing is, I find out much later that my passport needs to be vaild for more than 3 months to travel to europe but mine expires in October. SO... I'm going to renew my passport when I'm in London as I don't have time to do it now as I'm leaving Thursday from US. BUT, the lady at British Embassy said I can show my old passport with my maiden name to Italy as my Italy ticket is in my maiden name. I'm just worried they might say NO to my old passport because my valid one will be my new married name one. I'll have both passports with me. Plus I'm taking my birth certificate (maiden name), driving license (married name), greencard(married name).

My passport is the last to be changed to married name and I have to renew it before I can go to Italy but I don't want to do it in my maiden name again just cos my Italy ticket is in my maiden name.
Anyone had this experience or anything like it when travelling to Italy?
The woman at the British Embassy said it would be fine to show the old passport but I want to know if anyone has had bad experience. I hope she's right.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Different names on passport and airline ticket

You are not the first woman to get married and change their name. People understand that some documents will have a lag after you are married. Just bring documents that show either the maiden name (in the case of the ticket) and married name in the case of the passport.

Originally Posted by Sweet
Hi,

Ok my situation is this.

My passport is in my maiden name, going to London and then Italy. My airline ticket from US to UK is in married name, ticket from London to Italy is in maiden name because the woman said my ticket should have same name as passport.
The thing is, I find out much later that my passport needs to be vaild for more than 3 months to travel to europe but mine expires in October. SO... I'm going to renew my passport when I'm in London as I don't have time to do it now as I'm leaving Thursday from US. BUT, the lady at British Embassy said I can show my old passport with my maiden name to Italy as my Italy ticket is in my maiden name. I'm just worried they might say NO to my old passport because my valid one will be my new married name one. I'll have both passports with me. Plus I'm taking my birth certificate (maiden name), driving license (married name), greencard(married name).

My passport is the last to be changed to married name and I have to renew it before I can go to Italy but I don't want to do it in my maiden name again just cos my Italy ticket is in my maiden name.
The woman at the British Embassy said it would be fine to show the old passport but I want to know if anyone has had bad experience. I hope she's right.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Ok my situation is this.

Thanks for any advice.
I get the impression from this post that you hold a UK Passport, if this is so, then I didn't thinkyou needed a passport anymore to enter an EU Country
Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Archie Wilson will become famous soon enough

I think it would be wise for you to check with the air carrier from U. S. to U. K. and be absolutely sure if they need to issue your air ticket as your name appears on your passport.

Hi,

Ok my situation is this.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon bland
I get the impression from this post that you hold a UK Passport, if this is so, then I didn't thinkyou needed a passport anymore to enter an EU Country
That's only if you're from another EU country, and how are they going to know you are unless you show them your passport? Schengen isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Elaine
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:27 pm
Lansbury

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:57:25 +0000, Sweet <member5665@british_expats.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
    >Ok my situation is this.
    >My passport is in my maiden name, going to London and then Italy. My ai-
    >rline ticket from US to UK is in married name, ticket from London to It-
    >aly is in maiden name because the woman said my ticket should have same
    >name as passport.
    >The thing is, I find out much later that my passport needs to be vaild
    >for more than 3 months to travel to europe but mine expires in October.
    >SO... I'm going to renew my passport when I'm in London as I don't have
    >time to do it now as I'm leaving Thursday from US. BUT, the lady at Bri-
    >tish Embassy said I can show my old passport with my maiden name to Ita-
    >ly as my Italy ticket is in my maiden name. I'm just worried they might
    >say NO to my old passport because my valid one will be my new married
    >name one. I'll have both passports with me. Plus I'm taking my birth ce-
    >rtificate (maiden name), driving license (married name), greencard(marr-
    >ied name).
    >My passport is the last to be changed to married name and I have to ren-
    >ew it before I can go to Italy but I don't want to do it in my maiden
    >name again just cos my Italy ticket is in my maiden name.
    >Anyone had this experience or anything like it when travelling to Italy?
    >The woman at the British Embassy said it would be fine to show the old
    >passport but I want to know if anyone has had bad experience. I hope sh-
    >e's right.
    >Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I work at Heathrow Airport. It is very important that you telephone the
airlines concerned NOW and take their advice and ONLY there advice.

The name on your airline ticket must match the name in the passport you use to
travel on. Same airlines allow a slight difference but at the most it is three
letters that can be different. Only the airline can tell you if they will
accept the old passport to support the name on the ticket.

Do not reply on anything anyone else says, not matter how well intentioned, in
this newsgroup. You will need a passport to travel from the UK to Italy and
only the airline can answer your question.

-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Old Aug 31st 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

See: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=124117
Old Aug 31st 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lansbury
Do not reply on anything anyone else says, not matter how well intentioned, in this newsgroup.
?????
Old Aug 31st 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Lansbury's right. I did the opposite - bought the ticket in my maiden name while my passport is in my married name. I called to check and the airline would have refused to let me fly. I had to cancel and re-book in the correct name.

Kath
Old Aug 31st 2004, 6:09 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Ok my situation is this.

Thanks for any advice.
The name in the passport MUST be the same as the name the tickets are issued in or the airlines will definately refuse to allow you to board the flight. In light of all the security measures that are in force today it obviously makes sense that they match so I wouldnt be taking any chances if I were you or you might just find yourself stranded somewhere.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:52 pm
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point

I just didn't change my last name. Much easier, believe me!

(In Belgium, keeping your maiden name is standard. If you want to change it, you have to ask for it etc. etc. It just takes more time).
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:12 am
Lansbury

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:58:19 +0000, HunterGreen
<member15421@british_expats.com> wrote:

>?????

am I missing the point of your comment?

-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup