Default Traveling on passport with maiden name

I'm about to go back to visit England and my passport is in my maiden
name. Although I got my plane tickets under my married name. Will this
cause any conflicts? I intend to carry a copy of our marriage license
and my state ID.

Old Dec 31st 2002, 4:14 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Traveling on passport with maiden name

I recommend always getting the ticket in the name on your passport.
However, if you already didn't do this, then carry proof of the name
change (marriage license)

sharon wrote:
    >
    > I'm about to go back to visit England and my passport is in my maiden
    > name. Although I got my plane tickets under my married name. Will this
    > cause any conflicts? I intend to carry a copy of our marriage license
    > and my state ID.

Old Dec 31st 2002, 11:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advance G-2

I always ask my clients what name their passport is issued in BEFORE booking their tickets. Obviously someone was asleep at the switch in your case. Domestic travel is usually not a big deal if you have a good travel agent AND supporting documentation, but international can be a different story, especially in these post 911 days. I would contact the airline you're traveling on ASAP and ask them what their policy is. Better that than be at the ticket counter, ready to board the flight and have them deny you boarding. It can happen and I've known it to.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 12:03 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for a travel agents and the first thing they told me was that avation law is that the name on the passport must be identical to that in the passport. This means if you misspelled someones name they will not be allowed to travel. This was pre 9/11. This is the UK, I have heard stories people in the us being allowed to travel with the maiden name on their passport and married name on the tickets (which makes no sense - surely the airline is breaking avation law!)

Patrick
Old Dec 31st 2002, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Isn't there anyway you can go to the British Embassy and change your name on the passport?????
I think you can do this with the marriage cert as proof of name change.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

thebigeasy is an unknown quantity at this point

To enjoy hassle-free travel, it is best to observe name consistency in your air-ticket and in your passport.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 12:22 am
Paw

Original message from sharon , dated Mon, 30 Dec
2002 at 20:30:53:

>I'm about to go back to visit England and my passport is in my maiden
    >name. Although I got my plane tickets under my married name. Will this
    >cause any conflicts? I intend to carry a copy of our marriage license
    >and my state ID.

We got caught out with this mismatch about 3 years ago - at first the
only document the airline check-in were willing to look at was a
marriage license, but after phoning up and down the chain of command
they agreed that the State IDs would do. There was a charge made for
changing the tickets [i.e. reissuing them under the matching name] which
was swallowed by the travel agent who'd made the mistake.
--
paul
58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes
97-99 London 99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Jan 1st 2003, 6:16 am
Omo

[email protected] (sharon) wrote in message news:...
    > I'm about to go back to visit England and my passport is in my maiden
    > name. Although I got my plane tickets under my married name. Will this
    > cause any conflicts? I intend to carry a copy of our marriage license
    > and my state ID.

Take advice from those who have gone through this experience. Yes,
what you have is sufficient. (I personally have not put anything in
my maiden name since my marriage nearly 2 years ago.)

I traveled back to my husband's country this past summer as well as to
the Caribbean in November. My passport (with my maiden name on it)
expires in 6 years, so I made certain to carry a certified copy of my
marriage license and drivers ID in case of any questions from airline
officials. Like you, I just showed them the above named documents and
all went well without a hitch.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 1st 2003, 3:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Match Game

I stand by my advice to Sharon to check with the carrier involved on this ASAP. Some of them can be sticky about it. It's just like visiting the US from abroad while your paperwork is underway, you're taking a chance. Maybe nothing will happen and maybe depending on the Customs person on duty you get denied..........
While it is important for the travel agent involved to ask how the name reads on the passport it is also the responsibility of the customer to advise the agent if their name is different. Common sense rules here. Even if everyone knows you as Bubba Smith, if your real name (as on a license or passport shows) is James Bubba Smith then things need to match.
If the carrier insists that things need to match, rather than just noting it in the passenger's record, then I would be checking to see if a British consulate/embassy had expediting service on reissuing passports.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

trasler is an unknown quantity at this point

Last December (ie: post 9/11), my wife and I flew British Airways from Dallas to London. She is a USC and her passport was in her maiden name whereas the tickets were in her married name.

We took our marriage license with us, and had no problems whatever on either end.

Originally posted by Sharon
I'm about to go back to visit England and my passport is in my maiden
name. Although I got my plane tickets under my married name. Will this
cause any conflicts? I intend to carry a copy of our marriage license
and my state ID.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 4:23 pm
L D Jones

cindyabs wrote:
    >
    > I stand by my advice to Sharon to check with the carrier involved on
    > this ASAP. Some of them can be sticky about it. It's just like visiting
    > the US from abroad while your paperwork is underway, you're taking a
    > chance. Maybe nothing will happen and maybe depending on the Customs
    > person on duty you get denied..........
    > While it is important for the travel agent involved to ask how the
    > name reads on the passport it is also the responsibility of the
    > customer to advise the agent if their name is different. Common sense
    > rules here. Even if everyone knows you as Bubba Smith, if your real
    > name (as on a license or passport shows) is James Bubba Smith then
    > things need to match.
    > If the carrier insists that things need to match, rather than just
    > noting it in the passenger's record, then I would be checking to see if
    > a British consulate/embassy had expediting service on reissuing
    > passports.

If a woman's passport is in her maiden name and ticket in her married
name and she has a document (marriage license) to show the name change
can an airline in effect cancel her trip if the names on the documents
don't match? I was under the impression that an airline could do this if
the person holding the ticket did not have the proper visa/status to
enter the destination country (since airlines are fined for this) but I
have not heard of a denial by an airline in the sort of case discussed
here (but I would not say it is impossible).

I don't think she needs a new passport but I don't disagree that she
should ask the airline what sort of documentation they require in such
cases. I'm sure most every airline has encountered this situation
before.

Old Jan 1st 2003, 4:40 pm
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by trasler
Last December (ie: post 9/11), my wife and I flew British Airways from Dallas to London. She is a USC and her passport was in her maiden name whereas the tickets were in her married name.

We took our marriage license with us, and had no problems whatever on either end.

Will Concurr there. My USC Fiancee had tickets in her original maiden name but a USC passport in her original married name BUT she took her divorce decree which states she will resume her maiden name. She was asked at both US departure and UK arrival and showed her certificate and there were no problems.

Just take proof with dates etc.. you shouldnt have a problem in our experience.

Pete
Old Jan 1st 2003, 4:45 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Since I have been coming on this forum this subject has come up time and time again. Most people usually agree that the best course of actio is to have the name identical in both the passports and tickets but there are always a few people who come up and say we travel with the names mismatched so it is fine. In a time of high security how on earth can that be fine - at some point the hammer will fall on airlines that allow this to carry on, no matter whether you bring your marriage certificate or not. The best course of action is to play the game and have the names identical.

I keep speeding on my way to work, the fact I haven't been caught doesn't make it OK.

Patrick
Old Jan 1st 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

trasler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Since I have been coming on this forum this subject has come up time and time again. Most people usually agree that the best course of actio is to have the name identical in both the passports and tickets but there are always a few people who come up and say we travel with the names mismatched so it is fine. In a time of high security how on earth can that be fine - at some point the hammer will fall on airlines that allow this to carry on, no matter whether you bring your marriage certificate or not. The best course of action is to play the game and have the names identical.

I keep speeding on my way to work, the fact I haven't been caught doesn't make it OK.

Patrick
Your speeding analogy is ludicrous. Speeding is illegal. Is it illegal to get married between the time of booking a flight and showing up at the airport? Of course not.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 5:28 pm
Pagan Sex God

Your speeding analogy is ludicrous. Speeding is illegal. Is it illegal to get married between the time of booking a flight and showing up at the airport? Of course not.
The point I was making was it is illegal for airlines to carry people who's name dont match (even misspelled) but because they allow you do it doesn't make it OK. Granted it is breaking avation law for the airline to carry you if your name doesn't match on your tickets and in your passport so technically you are not breaking any law but surely if you continually do it you are going to refused on to a flight.

So why doesn't the analogy make sense - I am breaking the law speeding - the airline is breaking the law allowing people to travel with mismatched names! Who cares when you get married!

Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.