Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Originally Posted by markowen
No, but watching Frasier they always portray northerners (Daphne's family) as drunken morons. I just wondered if most Americans thought that about us? For the record half of my family are Scousers
Ironic that the actress playing Daphne wasn't from Manchester at all.....but Frasier's DAD was born and raised there !

There was one episode where he spoofs her accent, perfectly..
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Ironic that the actress playing Daphne wasn't from Manchester at all.....but Frasier's DAD was born and raised there !
And Anthony LaPaglia is Australian.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I'd have to get an internal transfer or marry an American.

I doubt I'd meet a "nice American girl" because I've heard they think most British men are drunken football hooligans? Or is that just a stereotype?

Have to look for some multinational companies to apply to...
I have a nice American daughter living the city life in Cinci. She and her friends are educated, single, and in their early to mid 20s. AND her mother is married to a classy Brit (the ladies in the Midwest love the accent.....at least until they're married to it for awhile)
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I have a nice American daughter living the city life in Cinci. She and her friends are educated, single, and in their early to mid 20s. .....
Sounds like you're running a dating service!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:32 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds like you're running a dating service!
She would kill me if she knew I posted that! She has a long-term BF but her roomie is available and pretty (and having an English stepdad, daughter has quite tired of the accent )
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

markowen is an unknown quantity at this point

She would kill me if she knew I posted that! She has a long-term BF but her roomie is available and pretty (and having an English stepdad, daughter has quite tired of the accent )
To the Univ. of Cinci I go

So Midwesterners love our accents? I'll keep that in mind picking a university for my SE. Philly isn't in stone yet.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Photo's?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:57 pm
Queen of my house

So Midwesterners love our accents? I'll keep that in mind picking a university for my SE. Philly isn't in stone yet.
My old stomping grounds
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

My old stomping grounds
The Midwest or UCinci? If the latter could you help me out on something related to universities...?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mark,

I'm not an immigration expert but I am a Brit who basically felt the same way you did. I have lived on and off doing internships etc and am currently in the US doing a graduate degree (law) and have a job when I graduate (in NY), for which the correct immigration papers are being filed. I know a ton of younger Brits who have moved over, studied here and are moving over in this current climate.

My advice is that if you really want to move to the US, your choice of career is the biggest hindrance. It's a TERRIBLE market and a dying industry. Publishing or PR may be a bit better but journalism is a disaster area. And these industries often run on unpaid interns, so the likelihood of them paying the costs to move you over are almost zero. Weirdly enough, most of the British people I know are not moving over for banking (thanks TARP!) or law or huge organizations, but for smaller companies with whom they've interned and who really like them. A 40 person company in many cases will pay the costs. But the issue is the timing. Since immigration creates a huge time lag, it basically makes you unemployable to most organizations unless they really want you or there is already a industry wide culture of long gaps between the job offer and starting the job. Hiring out of (post)grad school, for example, is often done way in advance.

The previous post is correct btw. You have soft fungible skills and no hard skills and I would remedy that while you have a chance. Take some statistics classes, or do whatever you can to gain STEM type skills in your degree.

So I would recommend to either try to get a masters degree in the US after your BA or to try to work for companies who can transfer you on an L1. Aside from marriage, I think they are your only options.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you want midwest and journalism then look at Ohio University.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you want midwest and journalism then look at Ohio University.
Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right Well I luckily have a fairly middle-class British accent. I'm from the south so not a Scouser, Mancunian or a Geordie.

My missus picked a Scouser. I'm in America and you're not.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 1st 2013 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
...most of the British people I know are not moving over for banking (thanks TARP!) or law or huge organizations, but for smaller companies with whom they've interned and who really like them. A 40 person company in many cases will pay the costs.
This. Or networking. Or Canada!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:04 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
My missus picked a Scouser. I'm in America and you're not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.