Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Old Jun 9th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

markowen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Like many people I have always been fascinated by the USA. So fascinated that I am studying a degree in American History at the University of Sussex in Brighton, England. I am absolutely determined to immigrate to the USA by the time I am 30. Next September I will be starting my year abroad at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia majoring in history and minoring in political science. I then return to Sussex for a year and will then graduate.

I am interested in going into publishing, journalism, PR or marketing and my degree allows me to go into any of these fields. I am new to all this immigration business, so please tell me what I'd have to do. This is what I will have under my belt by 2015:
  • BA American Studies and History from the University of Sussex (2:1).
  • Student exchange at the University of Pennsylvania - Major: History / Minor: Political Science.
  • Vacation scheme with a law firm in Brighton, England.
  • Writing for the Sussex and UPenn student newspapers.
  • Work experience with various magazines.
  • Blogging for a website that has links with Trinity Mirror (publisher of the Daily Mirror).
  • Work experience (hopefully) with a book publisher in NYC.
  • When I was younger I also had a two-week placement with a Tory MP in my hometown and a week at my local newspaper.
  • Also trying to secure a placement working with a congressman in DC.

If I accomplish all of this (some of it has already been accomplished) then what are my chances getting a job in primarily book publishing or journalism?

Could you explain the type of VISA I'd need to secure (I believe it's a J1 or something similar?)?

I am determined to move to the USA. I have visited before and love it.

I hope to move to NY or the Midwest (Chicago, Milwaukee or Cincinnati)

Thanks.

-mo
Old Jun 9th 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Determined Brit wants to move to the USA...

Hasn't journalism moved on from full time paid employees in most cases? Obviously it does happen, but I would be hard pushed to think of someone who was not a known entity.

Best bet would be finding a nice american girl.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Please read all the 'Read Me' parts of this forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

then also read them in this forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

see if you can fit any of the requirements for visas, just remember that the US is one of the hardest countries to get a visa for.

Once you have read that info, then come back here and ask any more questions.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like I'd have to get an internal transfer or marry an American.

I doubt I'd meet a "nice American girl" because I've heard they think most British men are drunken football hooligans? Or is that just a stereotype?

Have to look for some multinational companies to apply to...
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Is it the same situation in Canada?

I have been to Toronto and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markowen
I doubt I'd meet a "nice American girl" because I've heard they think most British men are drunken football hooligans? Or is that just a stereotype?
I have never heard that as a stereotype about American women before. Think positive!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zerlesen
I have never heard that as a stereotype about American women before. Think positive!
So do they love or loathe British men? I always assumed it was the latter for the majority.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt I'd meet a "nice American girl" because I've heard they think most British men are drunken football hooligans?
I don't agree with this.

Unless you're a complete boor, I'd say they're more likely, in general, to respond favourably to your British accent. Unless you already have a gf back in the UK, you should certainly look to meet American women socially during your time in the US.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I don't agree with this.

Unless you're a complete boor, I'd say they're more likely, in general, to respond favourably to your British accent. Unless you already have a gf back in the UK, you should certainly look to meet American women socially during your time in the US.
Not a 'boor', possibly a 'bore' I should be okay then, I come from a middle-class family and not a big drinker - so I won't live up to the negative stereotype.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the same situation in Canada?

I have been to Toronto and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Canada's immigration laws are very different. Start here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Since many, if not the majority, of us here are married to Americans, I think it's safe to say it's a stereotype

Indeed - depending on the area, your accent (and the fact you come from 'In-ger-laaaand') is something of a draw
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

iornse is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like I'd have to get an internal transfer or marry an American.
this is probably what will happen at the end.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iornse
this is probably what will happen at the end.
Really?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Since many, if not the majority, of us here are married to Americans, I think it's safe to say it's a stereotype

Indeed - depending on the area, your accent (and the fact you come from 'In-ger-laaaand') is something of a draw
Oh right Well I luckily have a fairly middle-class British accent. I'm from the south so not a Scouser, Mancunian or a Geordie.

I do love American women, dated one in my first year at university. She was a student exchange on her 3rd year - so I have experience with US women
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right Well I luckily have a fairly middle-class British accent. I'm from the south so not a Scouser, Mancunian or a Geordie.
Sounds like you are the one with the negative stereotypes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.