Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

desperately need to travel to the US

desperately need to travel to the US

Old May 11th 2009, 12:23 am
Just Joined

jennyandleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default desperately need to travel to the US

I'm in the spouse visa process at the moment, had my medical, waiting for a meeting date with the embassy. My wife has already gone back to the US for urgent family matters and desperately wants me to be there for the next few weeks/months. Is this in any way possible without (a) messing the whole visa thing up, and (b) would immigration in the US actually let me in?
Old May 11th 2009, 12:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperately need to travel to the US

Originally Posted by jennyandleon
I'm in the spouse visa process at the moment, had my medical, waiting for a meeting date with the embassy. My wife has already gone back to the US for urgent family matters and desperately wants me to be there for the next few weeks/months. Is this in any way possible without (a) messing the whole visa thing up, and (b) would immigration in the US actually let me in?
It is legal to visit the USA on the VWP (if you qualify for it) while the Immigrant Visa process is going on.

You can try emailing the embassy and asking them to delay your interview date until X date which suits you. Then you can travel to the USA on the VWP. However, make sure you have ties to your home country (mortgage, property, work, school, etc), in case they ask at the POE.

Rene
Old May 11th 2009, 1:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You must be literally within a week or 2 of interview. What was the last you heard from the Embassy? If you got your medical scheduling info, didn't you get an interview date set then?
Old May 11th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

jennyandleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
You must be literally within a week or 2 of interview. What was the last you heard from the Embassy? If you got your medical scheduling info, didn't you get an interview date set then?
Our documents from the embassy went walk-about in the post so we never received them,, or any of the info that was sent. Having emailed the embassy about it, they told us to download the forms. This still didn't provide us with the instructions though so we've done things in a seemingly round about way. I went for the medical on the 5th May and sent to documents the same day. I'm just waiting to hear back not. I've checked the website to see if they've sent anything but it doesn't recognise my passport number. I'm fretting a hell of a lot as we've had far too much strife already and this is becoming a bigger mess now due to having to return. Add in the complications that I'm only working part time temp at the moment (lost my job just before we decided to start this process, couldn't get a long term full time job when planning to leave) and my house lease being up at the end of June, this is just the worst possible timing. Sorry, I sound like I'm moaning. It's just seeming like the planets have aligned against my wife and I.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:09 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Our documents from the embassy went walk-about in the post so we never received them,, or any of the info that was sent. Having emailed the embassy about it, they told us to download the forms. This still didn't provide us with the instructions though so we've done things in a seemingly round about way. I went for the medical on the 5th May and sent to documents the same day. I'm just waiting to hear back not. I've checked the website to see if they've sent anything but it doesn't recognise my passport number. I'm fretting a hell of a lot as we've had far too much strife already and this is becoming a bigger mess now due to having to return. Add in the complications that I'm only working part time temp at the moment (lost my job just before we decided to start this process, couldn't get a long term full time job when planning to leave) and my house lease being up at the end of June, this is just the worst possible timing. Sorry, I sound like I'm moaning. It's just seeming like the planets have aligned against my wife and I.
the interview should be coming up soon, i emailed the embassy a few times and got a response rather quickly, i stated that my fiance was prepared for the interview and would be grateful for the next available appointment slot...they emailed back and the interview was barely 3 weeks away.... unless you know for certain its going to be months, i wouldnt come to the US right away.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This would be a good time to email the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Consulate.

If it is any comfort, they don't mail the forms to you, everyone gets the instruction to download.
I don't think your case would show up on a website at this point though. Not in London.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

jbfaust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
the interview should be coming up soon, i emailed the embassy a few times and got a response rather quickly, i stated that my fiance was prepared for the interview and would be grateful for the next available appointment slot...they emailed back and the interview was barely 3 weeks away.... unless you know for certain its going to be months, i wouldnt come to the US right away.
What is the embassy's email. I would like to do the same...
Old May 12th 2009, 4:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it is London in theory you have to phone the helpline first tell them the problems and get the weekly code to put in the e-mail subject line.

Now they saw if the code isn't in the subject line they will delete the e-mail, but some have been lucky and got replies without it.

[email protected] is the e-mail address