Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1b a couple of questions post approval

H1b a couple of questions post approval

Old May 12th 2009, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

UKinNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b a couple of questions post approval

Hi,

To give you some background i have an 3yr L1 that will expire on June 30th (no extension was granted) and i am leaving the US on June 30th as a result. However I have a H1b visa starting october 1st for which i need to visit the US Embassy to be interviewed and approved. Correct me if i am wrong?

I need/want to visit the US twice between July 1st and Sep 30th on the Visa Waiver for business (meetings and training) and personal reasons (my gf is american and we live together) but i am being told that this might affect the H1 being approved when i am at the US Embassy because they may question why i was coming in and out of the US during that time ahead of the H1b being granted.

Is this likely to cause an issue or is my lawyer being overly cautious about this? If twice is too much would once be ok?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as i am worried about not seeing friends and family for 3months but don't want to threaten the longer term H1 visa.

thx
Old May 12th 2009, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b a couple of questions post approval

Originally Posted by UKinNYC
Hi,

To give you some background i have an 3yr L1 that will expire on June 30th (no extension was granted) and i am leaving the US on June 30th as a result. However I have a H1b visa starting october 1st for which i need to visit the US Embassy to be interviewed and approved. Correct me if i am wrong?

I need/want to visit the US twice between July 1st and Sep 30th on the Visa Waiver for business (meetings and training) and personal reasons (my gf is american and we live together) but i am being told that this might affect the H1 being approved when i am at the US Embassy because they may question why i was coming in and out of the US during that time ahead of the H1b being granted.

Is this likely to cause an issue or is my lawyer being overly cautious about this? If twice is too much would once be ok?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as i am worried about not seeing friends and family for 3months but don't want to threaten the longer term H1 visa.

thx
Just curious....are you planning to stay in the USA long-term? Are you against marrying your USC live-in girlfriend? That would be your easiest method of remaining in the USA, and no need to pursue the H1B at that point either...you'll get permission to work based on your adjustment of status to permanent resident, and can work for them before October.

Just a thought.

Rene
Old May 12th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

that is the plan but it is not currently an option.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it seems to be normal for your lawyer to advise this. Mine are doing the same.

The problem is that to the guys in the embassy it might look like you are out there working before Oct 1st.

In my case I need to fly out at some point for a series of meetings to plan the project while we wait until October. My new boss has prepared an exhaustive account of what we will be doing while I am there - all of it OK with VWP terms.

I reckon you should probably get yours to do something similar.

Also, you might want to pass on the gf visits for the summer. Immigration officers and embassy officials don't care about her or your relationship. Get her to come to the UK instead.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately although i am from the UK i will be based in singpore due to work reasons when i am not in the US so GF visiting there is not possible.

thx for the tips caleyjag. if i come back at all i will make sure to have a detailed itinery of the projects/meeting i will be working on.

its frustrating that they will look at it that way!!!
Old May 12th 2009, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately although i am from the UK i will be based in singpore due to work reasons when i am not in the US so GF visiting there is not possible.

thx for the tips caleyjag. if i come back at all i will make sure to have a detailed itinery of the projects/meeting i will be working on.

its frustrating that they will look at it that way!!!
Girlfriends are not allowed into Singapore?

Learn something new everyday.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

no they are like chewing gum!
Old May 12th 2009, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

no they are like chewing gum!
Seriously.. she can't travel there as a tourist?

Well, proceed with caution. caleyjag's example is a good one.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

No. Meetings and seminars you will be attending.

'Working' is a dirty word for you at this point!