Deported...

Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:11 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deported...

Originally Posted by Manc
it's not just Mexico, and yes, some parts are that bad, it's not all Acapulco and Mayan Ruins. Having lovely scenery won't buy you corn.

it's Honduras, it's Guatemala it's El Salvador, it's Columbia, it's Haiti....

these people have nothing.

nothing.
"I have nothing, so give me yours."

I can't remember where I read that.

Whatever the situation, turning a blind eye to illegal immigration isn't going to solve these people's problems - just create new ones.

All we've done is created an underclass that lives effectively outside of our society.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

There was an incident in Virginia Beach last year where a drunk illegal killed two teenage girls in a car crash. Bill O'Reilly called Virginia Beach a haven for illegals. Now the local police are supposed to ask about a persons legal status if they stop them. I have to wonder if my fading accent will show enough for them to ask me or if they wouldn't ask me because I don't fit their ethnic profile of an illegal. Hopefully I won't be able to come back with an answer to that any time soon!

www.hamptonroads.com/node/248021
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
"I have nothing, so give me yours."

I can't remember where I read that.

Whatever the situation, turning a blind eye to illegal immigration isn't going to solve these people's problems - just create new ones.

All we've done is created an underclass that lives effectively outside of our society.
it's all nice and rhetorical bollocks what you write, and in a perfect world maybe so.

you're a bloke with a wife and 3 kids.
you live in a ramshackle cinder block house with a dirt floor in the middle of nowhere.
the unemployment rate in your town is 47%.
and the 53% whom are employed pick coffee for $2 for a 24lb bag.

what are you going to do?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Best Hurry roland, you're children are hungry.

Your wife has Angina by the way, she can take aspirin to keep it under control.

the nearest place to get aspirin on a regular basis is 130 miles away, but you can't afford the bus ticket let alone the cost of the pills.

what you gonna do?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

it's all nice and rhetorical bollocks what you write, and in a perfect world maybe so.

you live in a ramshackle cinder block house with a dirt floor in the middle of nowhere.

Add to that, it's not like it's some brainwave this particular paisano had to come up with in response to the hungry kids. This is what your father, his father and even his father before you have done. Go to El Norte, make your money, come home to the farm.

You can not reverse 80 years of US policy overnight and expect people to stay away because it's "against the rules". Rules means something very different in their world and governments have spoken to the people on both sides of the border in forked tongue.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I totally understand - try and go somewhere better where you can get a better quality of life.

But riddle me this - when millions of people are pouring illegally into your country, what are you going to do?

I sympathise, but the price of us enjoying our ridiculously affluent (in comparison) way of life is living in a world where other people live like that.

To pretend any different would be far more of a 'perfect world' that you accused me of writing about.

Let's be honest here. Most of the very worthy and honourable intentions of liberal-minded people towards illegal immigration are fine, as long as they don't have to do anything about it themselves.

I don't see you lending out your basement to a needy illegal immigrant family. You're volunteering other people's resources and trying to suggest we should feel guilty about not giving them.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:41 pm
@matthewb76

You're volunteering other people's resources
and this is where I make you look a twat.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509647
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:55 pm
Militant Ginger

and this is where I make you look a twat.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509647
I don't need any help being made to look like a twat! Don't you know me at all?

I think it's wonderful all the charity work you were doing and yes, that does mean I think you're less of a self rightous arse (lovely photos by the way.)

But still, by advocating illegal immigration you're volunteering other people's resources.

I live on a street with fifteen cars parked there every night with out-of-state plates, because they're owned by illegal immigrants. You might remember the blog post when police banged on our door at 4am looking for an illegal immigrant. Read the papers about kids getting run over by illegal immigrant drivers - happens near us.

Illegal immigration negatively effects people's lives over here - so if people don't want to bow down to your attempts to guilt trip them, that's their right. You can understand the problems illegals face in their own country. You can understand what motivates them to come to America.

But telling Americans that they should just put up with it?

good luck, mate.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:02 pm
@matthewb76

But telling Americans that they should just put up with it?
Americans are putting up with it though.
they have been putting up with it for 225 years.

In November they'll vote for the Republicans whom like illegal workers for the low wages.

or they'll vote Democratic whom like illegal workers as they feel good about allowing someone to pick cherries for $2 an hour instead of $2 per day.

If we open the border to Mexicans, within 30 years the standard of living will increase expedentially in Mexico and they'll no longer feel the need to leave their country just so they can eat.

and you know what, then they'll be worrying about their southern border instead of us.

it would be a generational plan, and could cost us short term and would be painful to a certain degree..... but I think as with the Eastern Europeans whom moved to the UK, once the economy picks up in their homeland, they'd go home, and they are going home.

Why don't we do the same?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:08 pm
Militant Ginger

Americans are putting up with it though.
they have been putting up with it for 225 years.

In November they'll vote for the Republicans whom like illegal workers for the low wages.

or they'll vote Democratic whom like illegal workers as they feel good about allowing someone to pick cherries for $2 an hour instead of $2 per day.

If we open the border to Mexicans, within 30 years the standard of living will increase expedentially in Mexico and they'll no longer feel the need to leave their country just so they can eat.

and you know what, then they'll be worrying about their southern border instead of us.

it would be a generational plan, and could cost us short term and would be painful to a certain degree..... but I think as with the Eastern Europeans whom moved to the UK, once the economy picks up in their homeland, they'd go home, and they are going home.

Why don't we do the same?
American voters + Long Terms Plans don't really go well together! Otherwise we'd have preempted this gas crisis back in the seventies!

I will say this - I went to Ellis Island a few months back and they had prints from newspapers showing articles complaining about the 'menace' of Irish immigrants, chinese immigrants, Jewish immigrants...

Now Irish pubs, chinese take-away and bagels are as American as pizza and apple pie (Italian and German respectively.)

On the one hand, maybe this 'Spanish Immigrants must be stopped' is more of the same. But then again, nobody had to learn Gaelic or Yiddish back in the day (since I speak French and German, I get royally pissed off when somebody gets snooty that I don't speak Spanish.)

But america is ultimately a melting pot (the fat rises to the surface and the people on the bottom get burnt.)

It's not like we can realistically round up 25 million illegals and deport them, so bitch, moan and complain, we have to accept the reality that they're here.

But I still don't have to like it! :curse:

(Impotent rage is the final bastion of the stuffy white guy.)
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:14 pm
@matthewb76

American voters + Long Terms Plans don't really go well together! Otherwise we'd have preempted this gas crisis back in the seventies!

I will say this - I went to Ellis Island a few months back and they had prints from newspapers showing articles complaining about the 'menace' of Irish immigrants, chinese immigrants, Jewish immigrants...

Now Irish pubs, chinese take-away and bagels are as American as pizza and apple pie (Italian and German respectively.)

On the one hand, maybe this 'Spanish Immigrants must be stopped' is more of the same. But then again, nobody had to learn Gaelic or Yiddish back in the day (since I speak French and German, I get royally pissed off when somebody gets snooty that I don't speak Spanish.)

But america is ultimately a melting pot (the fat rises to the surface and the people on the bottom get burnt.)

It's not like we can realistically round up 25 million illegals and deport them, so bitch, moan and complain, we have to accept the reality that they're here.

But I still don't have to like it! :curse:

(Impotent rage is the final bastion of the stuffy white guy.)

amnesty won't work. it's just going to encourage another influx.

as I said, either we do
a) do nothing and hope the situation goes away
b) open the border and within 30 years hope the situation goes away
c) spend $30 billion or whatever on inefficient policies looking like we're doing something and hope the situation goes away.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
Militant Ginger

amnesty won't work. it's just going to encourage another influx.

as I said, either we do
a) do nothing and hope the situation goes away
b) open the border and within 30 years hope the situation goes away
c) spend $30 billion or whatever on inefficient policies looking like we're doing something and hope the situation goes away.
I vote for 'a' since it's worked so well for us in the past.

Although you missed option 'd'

d) Invade some totally unrelated country on trumped up charges to divert attention away from the issue.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

I vote for 'a' since it's worked so well for us in the past.

Although you missed option 'd'

d) Invade some totally unrelated country on trumped up charges to divert attention away from the issue.
or e) Round them all up and use them to invade some totally unrelated country on trumped up charges to divert attention away from the issue.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
There was an incident in Virginia Beach last year where a drunk illegal killed two teenage girls in a car crash. Bill O'Reilly called Virginia Beach a haven for illegals. Now the local police are supposed to ask about a persons legal status if they stop them. I have to wonder if my fading accent will show enough for them to ask me or if they wouldn't ask me because I don't fit their ethnic profile of an illegal. Hopefully I won't be able to come back with an answer to that any time soon!

www.hamptonroads.com/node/248021
If the cops ask, they'd be breaking the law...only ICE are allowed to ask your immigration status...
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You'd better start by convincing the general population that these cheap immigrants are what's propping up the economy.
There are cheap legal immigrants working as doctors in under-served areas. I guess people don't have a problem with immigrant doctors, but they do with immigrant hotel cleaners.

Last edited by snowbunny; Jun 7th 2008 at 8:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.