Dentist Visit... HOW MUCH??!!!??

Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dentist Visit... HOW MUCH??!!!??

I took my two children to the dentist yesterday... (first visit since we have been here ) We have Medical Insurance through my hubby's job.. BUT my god i just can not get over the price of dental care!!! I know its even more shocking because we don't pay in the UK.. And yes the Dentist's office is all lovely and Glitzy.. much like a 4 star hotel.. But holy moly!! They both have fairly good teeth thankfully, But he said they each needed 'Resin Composites' better known as fillings, and he would like to do this using 'Nitrous Oxide' better known as gas and air. They did take xrays and cleaned their teeth and gave them each a flouride treatment... And for all that.. for both of them the grand total was $1934.00!!!!!! Our insurance company apperantly will pay roughly half of that... Gee thanks!! I told them my kids were hard as nails so they won't be needing the gass and air... which will take another $300 off the bill..!

Oh and they have been referred to an othodonist too.. I can't even begin to imagine what that will cost !!

So beans on toast for the rest of the month then...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist Visit... HOW MUCH??!!!??

Originally Posted by sambapink
I took my two children to the dentist yesterday... (first visit since we have been here ) We have Medical Insurance through my hubby's job.. BUT my god i just can not get over the price of dental care!!! I know its even more shocking because we don't pay in the UK.. And yes the Dentist's office is all lovely and Glitzy.. much like a 4 star hotel.. But holy moly!! They both have fairly good teeth thankfully, But he said they each needed 'Resin Composites' better known as fillings, and he would like to do this using 'Nitrous Oxide' better known as gas and air. They did take xrays and cleaned their teeth and gave them each a flouride treatment... And for all that.. for both of them the grand total was $1934.00!!!!!! Our insurance company apperantly will pay roughly half of that... Gee thanks!! I told them my kids were hard as nails so they won't be needing the gass and air... which will take another $300 off the bill..!

Oh and they have been referred to an othodonist too.. I can't even begin to imagine what that will cost !!

You should do a seach on dentists on expats, they are real rip offs here, have a look you will see some of the other poor folk that had bad experiances.
I was told I needed deep root cleaning and the price was amazing forget what it was, anyway I went back to the UK and had xrays done, nothing wrong and I got a 2nd opinion...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but WTH?!
How many fillings did they get? Baby teeth or adult? Did they even GET fillings in that price? On re-read I don't think so?

That is crazy money, and good for all of you that have dental insurance..
the docs overbill the insurance clients to make up for whatever losses they suffer elsewhere in their business.
My dentist does not charge me anything like that and I pay out of pocket.

In fact, most of my docs give me a discount when they find out I'm paying myself. It's all getting way too ridiculous.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

It really is totally and utterly ridiculous! I'm just reading the invoice now... for each filling it cost $130. He reckons my daughter needs 3 and my son needs 4... I'm starting to doubt that... Then there is a charge for enamel Microabrasion $65 x 3 ( haven't a Scooby Doo what thats about!) Gas and Air $150 x2 And then all the xrays and cleaning... Of course I'm like 'god I have to do this or else i'm a bad mother'!!! But maybe I am being ripped off... We're going to UK in march.. I wonder if I could get them looked at there.. Even privately.. just to see if i'm being taken for a ride!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:54 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

It really is totally and utterly ridiculous! I'm just reading the invoice now... for each filling it cost $130. He reckons my daughter needs 3 and my son needs 4... I'm starting to doubt that... Then there is a charge for enamel Microabrasion $65 x 3 ( haven't a Scooby Doo what thats about!) Gas and Air $150 x2 And then all the xrays and cleaning... Of course I'm like 'god I have to do this or else i'm a bad mother'!!! But maybe I am being ripped off... We're going to UK in march.. I wonder if I could get them looked at there.. Even privately.. just to see if i'm being taken for a ride!!
Most of us learnt the hard way don't get angry at yourself
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:59 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We have quite good dental insurance and our dentist is lovely. Complete opposite to all the horror stories I have read about on here. The first year we were here we had Guardian dental insurance but last year the company switched to Aetna (our medical has always been with Aetna).

Sadly our lovely dentist isn't with Aetna and the cost for using an out of network dentist has been high. Her charges are higher than Aetnas allowed rates and they will only pay out at 80%.
I think that we will have to find someone else who is in network because we just can't afford to pay for 5 of us
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:01 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Did you use an in-network dentist?
It's just a thought because at first I didn't realise there was a difference and the Orthodontist we first chose was out of network....the proposed costs were
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I will get irate for you.

What is "enamel Microabrasion" and why is it required?

I love dentists and what they do, but I have observed over the past 15 years or less especially, that as general dental health gets better, they have to upsell other services to keep their practice going. And is this work on baby or adult teeth?
While it does seem like a lot of fillings, kids rot their teeth (so I hear.. not guilty me!).
The thing with the x-rays and cleanings.. if you go to a new doc, the first thing they want to do is shoot all the x-rays over at about $75 per page. and of course they want you in for cleanings 2X per year.

My good friend inherited excellent dental insurance. It pays for her to have 2 cleanings per year. And that is IT. Everything else is out of pocket.. I wonder why bother with the premiums? They cost about the same as.. yup, 2 cleanings per year.

sigh.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes.. what is Microabrasion!!?? I'm going to do my homework tonite.. I have to say I wasn't having the best day yesterday before getting to the dentists office... and then was less happy when I had to fill out all the forms :curse: And then they were throwing words at me.. and figures and blah blah blah.. Anyhooo... I'm on the case now... They haven't had all the treatments done yet... so i have time to investigate! I've just got all the paperwork out for our Dental cover.. and we have opted for premuim option.. which includes Orthodontia at 50%.. and by all accounts the insurance should cover 85% of the fillings etc... Maybe this dentist is out-of-network.. Thanks for the heads up there... i'll check that.. My head hurts I need to lay down...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

My first reaction is find another dentist.

I happen to have Delta Dental via spouse's employment. We get 100% coverage on two check-ups per year including cleaning and X-rays [I think one full set every two years]. My kids are older now, but my youngest only "aged-out" of her coverage three years ago [actually upon graduation from college, elder had it until 25 because she was in grad school].

There are co-payments as per DELTA's payment schedule which is supposed to be prevailing. In other words, we see the bills! And nothing at all approaching what you describe [and L.A. ain't cheap].

On the Nitrous Oxide -- general anesthesia without an anesthesist there is something I disapprove of highly. There is a reason why it is a separate medical specialty no medical surgeon administers his own anesthesia in a operating theater. Local anesthesia with a needle is fine. And if the dentist doesn't like it -- get another dentist. [Many dentists can't be bothered to deal with aversion to needles -- which I have, but my dentist and I work our away through it.]

Orthodonture is usually a separate thing -- It is expensive, usually not covered by insurance -- but it is a long term thing so that payments plans are quite common. I did it twice.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to UK in march.. I wonder if I could get them looked at there.. Even privately.. just to see if i'm being taken for a ride!!
I am going to do exactly this. I have three kids, took them to the dentist the other day to be told that one of them needs six fillings and one needs four fillings. These are baby teeth and the dentist in the UK (who we last saw March 2007) has never said there is any problem with their teeth.

I booked them in to have the fillings done, then talked to my husband about it and now we're holding off. I'm going to take them to a private dentist in the UK in September and see what s/he says. If they get any major problems between now and then I'll have their teeth filled, but till then we're taking flouride tablets, brushing very carefully twice a day, and avoiding sweets.

Meanwhile I went for a tooth clean with a hygienist who told me I'd probably need at least two fillings, a crown, and a root canal/crown. Instead of seeing the dentist in that practice I went to a different one who offered a free first appointment and free X-rays. He said I need none of that except a crown on an existing huge filling/root canal - and I agree with him on that one.

Get a second opinion definitely. I'm sure there's no hurry to have the fillings. And when you are seeing a US dentist get them to explain exactly what they're doing and why, before they do it. The dentist put a little flouride paste on my kids' teeth then charged me $30 per child for it :curse:

As for the referral to the orthodontist, how old are your kids? Do some googling on orthodontal treatment in the US. They recommend that your kids get seen at 7 for their first assessment, and they sometimes start treatment on baby teeth if they consider it necessary. I just don't believe it's worth starting treatment on baby teeth unless your kid has some kind of major problem with their teeth/mouth.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Completely agree with you on the Nitrous Oxide... totally not needed.. and potential dangerous.. and $150 a go!! And it just so happens that No insurance company covers it!! Bless that dentist's heart.. he's a chancer i'll give him that!!..

Enamel Microabrasion is a treatment given to stains or discolourations on the teeth... Puleaseeeeeee.. Honest ta god.. so he is going to do this treatment on one tooth of my daughters and 2 of my sons teeth...(If nothing else they have gorgeous white teeth) Ah he's having a laff with me now!

BTW... Not having a go at Dentists... they are VERY important... and if a treatment is needed then my children will have it.. but ya know.. thats just madness!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

[Many dentists can't be bothered to deal with aversion to needles -- which I have, but my dentist and I work our away through it.]

My dentist and I worked that out from day one. I don't do novacaine. The only exception is for a root canal. Need a filing? Go ahead and drill and fill. Doesn't bother me.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kins
I am going to do exactly this. I have three kids, took them to the dentist the other day to be told that one of them needs six fillings and one needs four fillings. These are baby teeth and the dentist in the UK (who we last saw March 2007) has never said there is any problem with their teeth.

I booked them in to have the fillings done, then talked to my husband about it and now we're holding off. I'm going to take them to a private dentist in the UK in September and see what s/he says. If they get any major problems between now and then I'll have their teeth filled, but till then we're taking flouride tablets, brushing very carefully twice a day, and avoiding sweets.

Meanwhile I went for a tooth clean with a hygienist who told me I'd probably need at least two fillings, a crown, and a root canal/crown. Instead of seeing the dentist in that practice I went to a different one who offered a free first appointment and free X-rays. He said I need none of that except a crown on an existing huge filling/root canal - and I agree with him on that one.

Get a second opinion definitely. I'm sure there's no hurry to have the fillings. And when you are seeing a US dentist get them to explain exactly what they're doing and why, before they do it. The dentist put a little flouride paste on my kids' teeth then charged me $30 per child for it :curse:

As for the referral to the orthodontist, how old are your kids? Do some googling on orthodontal treatment in the US. They recommend that your kids get seen at 7 for their first assessment, and they sometimes start treatment on baby teeth if they consider it necessary. I just don't believe it's worth starting treatment on baby teeth unless your kid has some kind of major problem with their teeth/mouth.

My kids are 13 and 11.. My son does definately need the orthodontist.. he has one tooth that is growing sideways... My daughter's teeth just need a little straightening. I have strong views on my kids looking after their teeth because I really feel I have to do the best by them.. I was never taken to the dentist as a child and am too scared to go myself now. So yes.. i'll do anything for them to have great teeth... but I wanna make sure i'm not paying for stuff thats just not needed. I think I will do the same as you and wait and see what a UK dentist says. If its needed its needed... i'll sell the telly or something!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:48 am

My kids are 13 and 11.. My son does definately need the orthodontist.. he has one tooth that is growing sideways... My daughter's teeth just need a little straightening. I have strong views on my kids looking after their teeth because I really feel I have to do the best by them.. I was never taken to the dentist as a child and am too scared to go myself now. So yes.. i'll do anything for them to have great teeth... but I wanna make sure i'm not paying for stuff thats just not needed. I think I will do the same as you and wait and see what a UK dentist says. If its needed its needed... i'll sell the telly or something!!
I was terrified of the dentist until I had cosmetic work done here in the US and I never felt a thing, nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.