Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Originally Posted by OzzyLee
If you need a pre paid credit card then Bank of America do them. Just pop along and open a free checking account and they will do the app for you.
You just load the card with as much limit as you want.
It credit reports too so helps build your credit up
I don't need one.. I was just applying for the one that the company I work for promotes.. (see first post). I have a checking account and Credit Card etc..,

Originally Posted by maggster
Samba
I have been in a similar situation - I applied for a Sears card and was denied. The reason was that my SSN was not valid! I have never had a problem with my SSN. The lady at Sears told me to call their 800 number that deals with the credit card just to see what they said.
I called the number they verified a few details - asking if I had my card to read the SSN number off and they asked me some other details regarding my full name etc which I gave and then they approved my application.
I did ask the woman why did my SSN show not valid and she said sometimes they work from old information and they often just need to confirm some details with the applicant.
Might be worth giving a call to the customer service department or if not come and get one of the other sides prepaid cards
I will check out my SSN.. although I was thinking it was accepted on my Tax Return.. well at least I think it was - long, boring story.. Anyway, when I get a 2 hour time slot i'll call the SS Office.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Receiving pre-approved offers in the mail is not really an indicator of whether you'll really be approved for that credit card.

I would suggest the OP pull her US credit report (can get all three at once or just one from one of the three credit bureaux.). Doing this is free of charge. Check the credit report(s) for any errors and get those corrected. If everything looks OK she might want to obtain her FICO score for which there is a fee.

From what I've heard on financial radio shows, credit providers are becoming more strict about who they offer credit too. e.g. want higher FICO scores or bigger down payments.
It wasn't a pre-approved credit card.. they go in the shredder! It was a Pre-Paid Master Card. These cards don't do a credit check.. and the rejection reason was 'cannot validate ID'. But I will also check out my FICO score too.. just out of interest
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzyLee
If you need a pre paid credit card then Bank of America do them. Just pop along and open a free checking account and they will do the app for you.
You just load the card with as much limit as you want.
It credit reports too so helps build your credit up
We tried that but it didn't help our credit history much - they sent it to someone who used it extensively in Belgium and never paid the bill
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:19 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
No, I've had my number for months now. The denial message for the Pre Paid card said they couldn't verify my Identification (or words to that affect).
Apologies if anyone else has said similar later in the thread (no time to read it all) but if you have a fraud alert set up on your SSN with Equifax and the like then this is the sort of message you might get when applying for anything. Usually just contacting them and asking what they need you to do will sort it out. I had this with American Express last year. I even had to prove I was who I said I was when I opened a savings account when the fraud alert was on, so it's not inconceivable these financial companies check against the SSN for any transaction.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

knikkinyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambapink
How can u get denied for something like that?? Its not even a Credit Card, you have to load it up!! More embarressing is the fact that I'm doing it through HR Block (I now work for them) - they offer these to clients .. I just thought it would be nice to have one to show clients that I think its a wonderful product

Actually i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my SSN.. I also tried to get a Tax Preparers ID number through the IRS and they rejected that too.. hmmm.. that can't be good!!
British Airways offer a Visa card for ex-pats in the USA> ba.com/expat
It doesn't guarantee you'll get approved, but if you've got a good job in the US and have been with your employer a while, there's a good chance they'll approve you..