Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

How can u get denied for something like that?? Its not even a Credit Card, you have to load it up!! More embarressing is the fact that I'm doing it through HR Block (I now work for them) - they offer these to clients .. I just thought it would be nice to have one to show clients that I think its a wonderful product

Actually i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my SSN.. I also tried to get a Tax Preparers ID number through the IRS and they rejected that too.. hmmm.. that can't be good!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied for a Pre-paid Mastercard.. the shame!

Originally Posted by sambapink
How can u get denied for something like that?? Its not even a Credit Card, you have to load it up!! More embarressing is the fact that I'm doing it through HR Block (I now work for them) - they offer these to clients .. I just thought it would be nice to have one to show clients that I think its a wonderful product

Actually i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my SSN.. I also tried to get a Tax Preparers ID number through the IRS and they rejected that too.. hmmm.. that can't be good!!
When did you get your SS#? If it's been about 6 weeks or less, I think I know why. Try again in another month on both applications.
(when your number is new, the banks know. Most likely your number is not yet on the released list of new numbers so they thought you made it up)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I was denied a Virgin AMEX card. I have one in the UK. I sent in statements showing the account in good order. And repeated mailing (2 'pre-approved) from Virgin AMEX USA and they still declined it!!! Go figure.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
When did you get your SS#? If it's been about 6 weeks or less, I think I know why. Try again in another month on both applications.
(when your number is new, the banks know. Most likely your number is not yet on the released list of new numbers so they thought you made it up)
No, I've had my number for months now. The denial message for the Pre Paid card said they couldn't verify my Identification (or words to that affect).
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No, I've had my number for months now. The denial message for the Pre Paid card said they couldn't verify my Identification (or words to that affect).
That's what is weird.. that is the message for a new number. Maybe mdyoung will make a reappearance for you.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Samba it can take a while to establish credit here in your new country. I remember asking at the bank when I first came here. I cashed my paycheck ( and had an account ) there every week and it took about a year. It's based on FICO scores from the 3 major credit bureaus, you probably don't score too high or may not even be established at all if you have not had a job, basically there are no records on you. The thing about the US is that once you establish credit it's hard to stop them sending you new offers for cards, the more credit/debt you have the more you'll get, as long as you pay your bills on time.
There are sites where you can check your credit score for free or ask your bank.
You may want to try your own bank or a deptartment store charge card that you already shop at ( Macy's, Nordstroms, Sears etc) This will get you going, but again not if you have no FICO scores.
Getting credit of any shape or form will be harder than it was due to the credit cruch, everyone has tightened up.
If however there is a problem with your SS# then that is a whole seperate issue, but I doubt it if the social security dept has issued you with a number and mailed you a card already.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:27 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't it you girl that had a cc fraud earlier this year, if it was, thats not got anything to do with it has it!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Wasn't it you girl that had a cc fraud earlier this year, if it was, thats not got anything to do with it has it!!
Oh the HSBC that caught that payment.. gosh i'd forgotten about that!

But LL.. would a Pre Paid card do a credit check?? I'll ask in class tomorrow what the score is with that.. seeing as i'm supposed to know how the system works

I have a 'real' credit card and got offered AND accepted for a Macys card.. I had only been here a few weeks.. No SSN or anything.. how ridiculous is that! All the household bills are in my name.. although thinking about it I set them up before I had my SSN..
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:44 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

But LL.. would a Pre Paid card do a credit check?? .
Not 100% sure but things are a lot tighter than a year ago for credit for obvious reasons. You can also call them and ask why you got refused
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Not 100% sure but things are a lot tighter than a year ago for credit for obvious reasons. You can also call them and ask why you got refused
Yeah... but... not to labour the point Its not even credit! How embarressing.. i'll go into class tomoro and say ' you know that pre paid mastercard.. well.... '

Actually a little more worried that I was refused for the Tax ID thingy.. can't do returns without it.. unless I put my SSN on everyones returns.. and somehow I reckon thats probably a bit dangerous!!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:51 pm
Banned

Actually a little more worried that I was refused for the Tax ID thingy.. can't do returns without it.. unless I put my SSN on everyones returns.. and somehow I reckon thats probably a bit dangerous!!!

But you'd have a huge clientele. Business would be booming once they found out you were willing to be liable for all their taxes
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

But you'd have a huge clientele. Business would be booming once they found out you were willing to be liable for all their taxes
Don't - how mad is that - people actually putting their tax returns in my hands.. god bless em!!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:55 pm
Banned

Don't - how mad is that - people actually putting their tax returns in my hands.. god bless em!!!

I don't know what I'm laughing at. I've been here over 20 years and have no job, you just got here and earn more money than me
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about the US is that once you establish credit it's hard to stop them sending you new offers for cards, the more credit/debt you have the more you'll get, as long as you pay your bills on time.
Try here https://www.optoutprescreen.com where you can opt out of allowing any old card issuer from perusing your credit record and offering you cards etc because your record is good. By default they can browse your crdit record so to stop it you have to opt out.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MsElui
Try here https://www.optoutprescreen.com where you can opt out of allowing any old card issuer from perusing your credit record and offering you cards etc because your record is good. By default they can browse your crdit record so to stop it you have to opt out.

What you telling me for? Who's on first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.