Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Originally Posted by judyv
... would it help if we were travelling together?
That's a good question, but my gut reaction is no it won't help. If he gets taken to secondary for further questioning, you may not be allowed to be present and so your presence will have little or no influence.

Ian
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

ST_Fund is an unknown quantity at this point

Can i just say that i attended an interview at the US Embassy in london just over a week ago and i had tons of evidence and all i needed was a two week trip and they denied my visa i asked them to look at my evidence and he remarked that it wasn't necessary and that this interview was over, i might add that i also had a backing letter from a senator too and it made no difference...you may end up going all that way and get turned back then you will also have to declare being refused entry too next time you fill in forms!!!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why were you not eligible for the VWP?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ST_Fund
Can i just say that i attended an interview at the US Embassy in london just over a week ago and i had tons of evidence and all i needed was a two week trip and they denied my visa i asked them to look at my evidence and he remarked that it wasn't necessary and that this interview was over, i might add that i also had a backing letter from a senator too and it made no difference...you may end up going all that way and get turned back then you will also have to declare being refused entry too next time you fill in forms!!!
Please can you share the reason why you were rejected, and/or your personal circumstances that led to you being rejected? .... Were you VWP eligible? What were the risk factors? Why did you have a senator's letter? (It sounds like you knew rejection was likely) What was the purpose of your proposed visit?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

judyv is an unknown quantity at this point

yes - my son also brought evidence and the interviewer wouldn't even look at it - didn't even give him a reason. Now we're sorry that he even tried to get a visa as he has 2 refusals. Now he has a British passort he doesn't need a visa but has refusals on another passport. Really infuriating! We just want to visit a family member.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Please can you share the reason why you were rejected, and/or your personal circumstances that led to you being rejected? .... Were you VWP eligible? What were the risk factors? Why did you have a senator's letter? (It sounds like you knew rejection was likely) What was the purpose of your proposed visit?
We were held last year at imigration entering the country even though we had legitimate reasons to go .... imigration said we had abused the system coming in too many times using the esta so had it taken away but after they checked they let us in on humanitarian reasons but from then on would have to apply thru the US embassy well its been nothing short of a nightmare £110 just to get an interview and they just sit ignoring you typing at the screen the first time we were refused was they told us we could apply for a b2 but when we got there they told us that we needed a petioned visa for my daughter and thats been very hard to get as the sports club she competed for doesn't want to sign it because of some of the questions they ask in the petition, that was back last year in october so i applied for a B2 just for me to go over and stay with another club team members family and discuss with the owner/trainer the H3 visa petition and required just 2 weeks there...even had the company i work for's letter giving me the time off and a supporting senators letter of support....didn't make no difference they just reverted back to the original petition and i tried to explain thats why i needed to travel but they refused and looked at nothing telling me the interview was over...it was horrible and lasted less than 5 minutes....
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We were held last year at imigration entering the country even though we had legitimate reasons to go .... imigration said we had abused the system coming in too many times using the esta so had it taken away but after they checked they let us in on humanitarian reasons but from then on would have to apply thru the US embassy well its been nothing short of a nightmare £110 just to get an interview and they just sit ignoring you typing at the screen the first time we were refused was they told us we could apply for a b2 but when we got there they told us that we needed a petioned visa for my daughter and thats been very hard to get as the sports club she competed for doesn't want to sign it because of some of the questions they ask in the petition, that was back last year in october so i applied for a B2 just for me to go over and stay with another club team members family and discuss with the owner/trainer the H3 visa petition and required just 2 weeks there...even had the company i work for's letter giving me the time off and a supporting senators letter of support....didn't make no difference they just reverted back to the original petition and i tried to explain thats why i needed to travel but they refused and looked at nothing telling me the interview was over...it was horrible and lasted less than 5 minutes....
So in short, it sounds like the CBP think you've been visiting the US too often. If that is what your file says it might be some time before you are able to travel to the US again.

I see you were previously advised to work with an experienced immigration attorney - did you have the assistance of an attorney in submitting your visa application?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 12th 2013 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Did they deny you entry before previously giving you a warning that you were visiting too often? Typically a warning is usually typical for someone that visits often and the person is told to apply for a B2 visa which usually is denied.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judyv
yes - my son also brought evidence and the interviewer wouldn't even look at it - didn't even give him a reason. Now we're sorry that he even tried to get a visa as he has 2 refusals. Now he has a British passort he doesn't need a visa but has refusals on another passport. Really infuriating! We just want to visit a family member.
Denial of B2 visas are fairly common for young people visiting from countries that can't use the visa waiver program. That is because those countries normally have a higher overstay rate than visa waiver program countries.

Now that he is a British citizen and if ESTA is approved, the possibility of denial at that port of entry will likely be low.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

So in short, it sounds like the CBP think you've been visiting the US too often. If that is what your file says it might be some time before you are able to travel to the US again.

I see you were previously advised to work with an experienced immigration attorney - did you have the assistance of an attorney in submitting your visa application?
I didn't work with an attorney because the club wouldn't agree to the petition hence why i needed to travel to see them and discuss her future there, it was delayed because my daughter underwent a foot operation so we waited to see what the outcome would be before getting costly lawyers involved.....the company i work for now wants to set up new offices in the US which would mean i'm actually elligible for an L1a and she could come in on an L2b if im not mistaken, i'm just worried about this mess we seem to be in and wether it will effect my L1a status???
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't work with an attorney because the club wouldn't agree to the petition hence why i needed to travel to see them and discuss her future there, it was delayed because my daughter underwent a foot operation so we waited to see what the outcome would be before getting costly lawyers involved.....the company i work for now wants to set up new offices in the US which would mean i'm actually elligible for an L1a and she could come in on an L2b if im not mistaken, i'm just worried about this mess we seem to be in and wether it will effect my L1a status???
Normally B2 visa denials and/or denied entry for too many visits don't affect a L1 visa application.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Did they deny you entry before previously giving you a warning that you were visiting too often? Typically a warning is usually typical for someone that visits often and the person is told to apply for a B2 visa which usually is denied.
Per STF's previous posts that is exactly what has happened, though it appears to be the aggregate time in the US (not number of visits) that was the problem, together with admitting to the CBP officer his daughter spent time at a school in the US, which is a visa infraction, although she is reportedly primarily home schooled.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Per STF's previous posts that is exactly what has happened, though it appears to be the aggregate time in the US (not number of visits) that was the problem, together with admitting to the CBP officer his daughter spent time at a school in the US, which is a visa infraction, although she is reportedly primarily home schooled.
Yes, That is correct, 2 other team members went to the local school where we lived and as my daughter is home schooled via a british curriculum from wolseyhall oxford i had organised with the headmaster my daughter to spend a few hours a day at the same class as her team mate purely for the social reasons and at no time was she actually schooled there but this did indeed cause problems at the time neither myself nor the school thought we had broke any laws in doing so.... so when i was asked i explained everything honestly to imigration but they didn't see it the same way.

If only i could go back in time now how things would have been done differently!!

Last edited by ST_Fund; Jun 12th 2013 at 7:15 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry I missed that. Should have read it closer.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I... i'm actually elligible for an L1a and she could come in on an L2b if im not mistaken...
I don't think there's a "b" after her L-2. She just gets an L-2.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.