Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

BellaBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but have been following for a while now. I know this topic has come up a few times but i'm hoping someone out here can provide some useful advice.

so i have been denied B2 visas twice (214b), last was 2 years ago, on a different nationality. I have now acquired British citizenship and passport over a year go and want to visit the US strictly for holiday (recently visited europe and the AE). I have no ties in the US, just a few friends. I have no criminal records and have a steady permanent job working in the city of london.

I applied for ESTA some weeks back stating my 2 visa denials, time and location, and was surprised to get approval. I am aware that i have a high chance of going through secondary Interview at the airport and very nervous about this. I am now wondering if i should take the risk and holiday or just forget it. I'm simply looking to have fun and holiday for just 2 weeks or less, will be staying at one of the friends.

Should i be taken to secondary interview, what sort of questions will i be asked, what should or shouldn't i take along and how should i respond?

Many thanks
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

You have nothing to worry about. If you declared the 2 prior B2 denials and still got ESTA authorised, you're entitled to travel to the USA.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
..... you're entitled to travel to the USA.
Meaning you are "entitled to present your self to CBP and request entry". Only USCs are entitled to travel to and enter the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2013 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Meaning you are "entitled to present your self to CBP and request entry". Only USCs are entitled to travel to and enter the US.
My post was worded extremely carefully and deliberately. I never said anything about entering the USA.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick response guys...

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through similar situation and what their experience were; particularly the secondary interview bit. I'm scared i will say something wrong and get sent away.. (do hope not)
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
My post was worded extremely carefully and deliberately. I never said anything about entering the USA.
I could tell. I was clarifying for the benefit of the OP.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did, just answer what you are asked and no more and leave more time for a connecting flight.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

judyv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My son has a very similar problem to yours - he was refused a tourist visa twice on his Israeli passport because they suspected he wanted to work in the US (he didn't -he wanted to visit his brother)

He has since acquired British citizenship and can apply to enter the us using ESTA. But then we saw the question about previous visa refusals and realised things wouldn't be that simple. We believe that this will prevent him getting ESTA approval.

May I ask when you were previously refused a visa? And if it's not too personal - for what reason.

We are upset because we wanted to travel together to visit his brother and it looks like I will be going alone again! I have always been a British citizen so I have no problem.
Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Sorry - just saw you wrote it was 2 years ago. May I also ask what nationality you applied under when you were refused? Just trying to compare with my son's case.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Judy - why dosent your son just spend the $6 and apply, if it's refused he hasn't lost anything except the cash.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Judyv, no worries. I had a south African passport.

when was the last visa denial that your son had?.
See after my last visa denial, i didn't want to risk another (plus i felt a little put off by it) and just decided to wait. On reading many forums, i found it was best to give a significant period before applying for ESTA.

..and yes, i have received an ESTA approval after stating clearly my two b2 visa denials. so, i wouldn't say that your son is exempt from ESTA, but i guess we would have a harder task proving that we are only going for short stays.

In my case, i have a permanent job at a large firm, and hoping to take a letter of employment just in case, but of course, i wouldn't know the outcome until after.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

iornse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What would you like sir ?
I would like to request entry in US.
And how would you like it ?
Well, as a tourist.
And what about vegetables ?
Oh, they'll have the same as I do.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies

My son will spend the 14 dollars - no problem but he hasn't got his new passport yet - we are just trying to plan for the trip to the us in advance.

Thanks Bella - we will try applying for ESTA as soon as he gets his new passport and hope for the best!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way to know what questions you might be asked.

As for how to respond, truthfully and without excess elaboration - i.e., answer the question that is asked and only the question that is asked.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by BellaBrown
Should i be taken to secondary interview, what sort of questions will i be asked, what should or shouldn't i take along and how should i respond?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
There's no way to know what questions you might be asked.

As for how to respond, truthfully and without excess elaboration - i.e., answer the question that is asked and only the question that is asked. ....
Generally speaking I agree - "KISS" is the order of the day, BUT if you have mitigating circumstances and supporting evidence e.g. a permanent job, or you're part way through a degree, and have supporting papers/ letters to prove you need to leave the US within x days/ weeks, then be sure to work that into the conversation because we hear (on BE) fairly regularly of people who get turned away at the port of entry without being able to present any documents they have brought with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.