Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied B2 visa Twice, Travelling on approved ESTA

Which is why I frequently point out that such paperwork is meaningless. A simple phone call, or simply failing to show up, is all it takes to quit a job or leave school. People do it all the time.

Paperwork, or lack thereof, is not what a determination is based on. The determination to approve or deny entry is based on how the CBP officers 'size you up'. If they want to see paperwork, it's because they are looking for some detail they can point to to back-up their decision.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... we hear (on BE) fairly regularly of people who get turned away at the port of entry without being able to present any documents they have brought with them.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jun 11th 2013 at 2:37 am.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
A simple phone call, or simply failing to show up. People do it all the time.

Regards, JEff
I can think of at least 3 occasions in my personal experience.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why I frequently point out that such paperwork is meaningless. A simple phone call, or simply failing to show up, is all it takes to quit a job or leave school. People do it all the time.

Paperwork, or lack thereof, is not what a determination is based on. The determination to approve or deny entry is based on how the CBP officers 'size you up'. If they want to see paperwork, it's because they are looking for some detail they can point to to back-up their decision. ....
So is the whole process is a meaningless crap shoot?

I agree that people can and do walk away from jobs, houses, degree courses, and even spouses, so that leaves all would-be visitors "naked" with no meaningful supporting evidence even possible. Right?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:55 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's very meaningful. But it does depend, to a great extent, how the CBP officer see you. The anecdotal evidence is very much in the applicant's favor, is it not? The vast majority of people are admitted.
So is the whole process is a meaningless crap shoot?
Yes, that's one way to put it.
I agree that people can and do walk away from jobs, houses, degree courses, and even spouses, so that leaves all would-be visitors "naked" with no meaningful supporting evidence even possible. Right?
Regards, JEff
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Not really a crap shoot, more a judgement shoot, profiling, we all do it.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not really a crap shoot, more a judgement shoot, profiling, we all do it.
Not according to President Bush! ...... That said, a CBP immigration officer at JFK told me, in January 2002, that, when deciding not to send me for additional verification of my visa, which he was supposed to do because I did not have my green card to show him, and I quote "you do not fit the profile".
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:19 am
Just Joined

BellaBrown is an unknown quantity at this point

wow.. now i am really re-considering this whole trip.

but surely, your type of job would make a difference. My job is at a large global firm, and my job is more of a 'career'.. a family member of mine is a doctor, it would be silly to think she would decide to leave all of that for a new uncertain life, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with her current situation.

I don't know.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Not according to President Bush! ...... That said, a CBP immigration officer at JFK told me, in January 2002, that, when deciding not to send me for additional verification of my visa, which he was supposed to do because I did not have my green card to show him, and I quote "you do not fit the profile".
Well President Obama does! But then he has a lot of information it seems to use.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BellaBrown

but surely, your type of job would make a difference. My job is at a large global firm, and my job is more of a 'career'.. a family member of mine is a doctor, it would be silly to think she would decide to leave all of that for a new uncertain life, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with her current situation.

I don't know.
Don't stress so much until you apply!
Let us know how it works out.
Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:09 pm

I think it very well might, yes.
but surely, your type of job would make a difference.
What or who your family members are is not relevant to you. (Unless they are on a terrorist watch list.)
a family member of mine is a doctor, ...
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

What or who your family members are is not relevant to you. (Unless they are on a terrorist watch list.)
Really?

What about Onyango Obama?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:32 pm

but surely, your type of job would make a difference. My job is at a large global firm, and my job is more of a 'career'......
You are probably right, it is a fair assumption that those in professional "career" jobs are less likely to abandon them, and I suspect that CBP will "give you a plus point" for that.

I also think that CBP know that those who work at major professional, financial, or industrial corporations can get a visa to live here anyway (though they may underestimate the difficulty of this for most people), so will give you another plus point for having a well known employer.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

iornse is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that very simple logic is behind consular officer. It is his responsibility if he issues the visa and then you screw. So, logically for him the best will be to issue zero visas.

As it is not possible and not serious and would have terrible effects on US economy they use statistics that say 20% do not return and simply on that day he will chop off every fifth unhappy visa applier.

And of course sometimes they will make a mistake.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

sandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant futuresandor333 has a brilliant future

Hi

Was the visa denied in the UK whilst you were a SA national (which I presume) and was it denied because you could not show sufficient ties to the UK? If so then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You had a slim chance of getting the visa in the first place. You will be sent to secondary upon arrival and you will be asked questions about the previous visa denials and your future intentions in the US but that's about it. Just be frank with them.

San
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

judyv is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if it helps that my son would be travelling with me? Let's just say he gets his ESTA approved despite the previous visa refusals but gets stopped at the port of entry- would it help if we were travelling together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.